closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Technical Router Question - Third Party Router with Sky

Technical Router Question - Third Party Router with Sky

I have a WiFi setup over several floors with hardwired Draytek APs serving each floor.

BB is provided by Sky ASDL connection & Sky Router which I can't easily get the login details for (Wireshark has been suggested so might try this).

I have a Draytek Router which I would like to use to manage the APs and provide IP addresses etc.

It has a WAN port so I should be able to connect the Draytek Router to the EN outlet of the Sky Router and configure it as per Draytek's guide.

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/gu...ynamic-ip-dhcp

My question really is the IP address of the Sky Router (currently 192.168.1.1) as I would like to set the Draytek to that so it gives out the IP addresses to the clients.

So - should I set the Sky Router to something else (and if so in what range) or does the "first" 1.1 mean the Sky IP is irrelevant ?

My instinct would be to set Sky to something competely different eg. 192.168.57.1 but I would appreciate some thoughts before I try ?

Master
    The most straightforward arrangement is to have the Draytek router and the Sky LAN-side IP on the same subnet, ie both should be 192.168.1.x - if I understand you correctly in that you want to hang the Draytek router off the Sky router, which seems the best solution for what you describe. You need to assign the DHCP range of the Draytek to avoid any conflicts.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I have a WiFi setup over several floors with hardwired Draytek APs serving each floor.

BB is provided by Sky ASDL connection & Sky Router which I can't easily get the login details for (Wireshark has been suggested so might try this).

I have a Draytek Router which I would like to use to manage the APs and provide IP addresses etc.

It has a WAN port so I should be able to connect the Draytek Router to the EN outlet of the Sky Router and configure it as per Draytek's guide.

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/gu...ynamic-ip-dhcp

My question really is the IP address of the Sky Router (currently 192.168.1.1) as I would like to set the Draytek to that so it gives out the IP addresses to the clients.

So - should I set the Sky Router to something else (and if so in what range) or does the "first" 1.1 mean the Sky IP is irrelevant ?

My instinct would be to set Sky to something competely different eg. 192.168.57.1 but I would appreciate some thoughts before I try ?
    Are you sure it’s adsl, not vdsl (fttc)?

You could do as you suggested

What is your existing ip range?

if you have a bunch of devices on the existing setup using 192.168.1/24 then simply change the lan range on the sky router to say 192.168.10/24 and connect to the draytek’s wan port and off you go.

That said some draytek vdsl router/fw's can work directly with sky, the sky vdsl uses dhcp option 61 and there is a bunch of info out there on setting it up.

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/gu...re-setup-guide

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadba...1/td-p/3467981

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    The most straightforward arrangement is to have the Draytek router and the Sky LAN-side IP on the same subnet, ie both should be 192.168.1.x - if I understand you correctly in that you want to hang the Draytek router off the Sky router, which seems the best solution for what you describe. You need to assign the DHCP range of the Draytek to avoid any conflicts.
    Yes I want the configuration to be -

Sky Router - Draytek Roter - Draytek APs

I did think I could maybe set it up as follows -

Sky Router - 192.168.1.1 (current)
    Draytek Router - 192.168.1.2
    Draytek APs - Default Gateway - 192.168.1.2

Draytek Router DHCP starts at 192.168.57.5 and Draytek Router Gateway IP - 192.168.1.2 (or should that point at the Sky Router)

Finally should I use the WAN port of the Draytek Router to feed in the Sky Router or in this case the LAN ?

I am not on Sky Fibre so need to keep the Sky Router in play

Thanks for your help

Master
    I forgot to add that if you use both Sky and draytek you run the risk of double nat, which can impact some services such as VPN’s, if you use port forwarding, host web facing services on your lan & gamining.

If you see some services / games fail in the new setup it might be prudent to check if there are reports of them being impacted by double nat.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Are you sure it’s adsl, not vdsl (fttc)?

You could do as you suggested

What is your existing ip range?

if you have a bunch of devices on the existing setup using 192.168.1/24 then simply change the lan range on the sky router to say 192.168.10/24 and connect to the draytek’s wan port and off you go.

That said some draytek vdsl router/fw's can work directly with sky, the sky vdsl uses dhcp option 61 and there is a bunch of info out there on setting it up.

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/gu...re-setup-guide

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadba...1/td-p/3467981
    Thanks - yes we have a lot of stuff attached via DHCP & some fixed IPs too so that is the ideal solution to make the Draytek replace the Sky Router. I used to have a VM Router which I could put into "modem mode" but don't get that option with Sky.

I think it is simple ADSL as is about 30 Mb speed ?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I forgot to add that if you use both Sky and draytek you run the risk of double nat, which can impact some services such as VPN’s, if you use port forwarding, host web facing services on your lan & gamining.

If you see some services / games fail in the new setup it might be prudent to check if there are reports of them being impacted by double nat.
    Thanks - we have Netflix & Prime but that is about it but good point will test the TV services first !

Master
    Thanks - yes we have a lot of stuff attached via DHCP & some fixed IPs too so that is the ideal solution to make the Draytek replace the Sky Router. I used to have a VM Router which I could put into "modem mode" but don't get that option with Sky.

I think it is simple ADSL as is about 30 Mb speed ?
    If you are at 30Mb/s then I strongly suspect it’s vdsl/fttc you have

You can check here https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

This will show the availability and likely speed of the packages available to your line.

Well that was a partial success...

Switched the IP addresses and everything seemed to work. The Draytek Router could see and manage the APs and all seemed good...

Except the Sky TV system needs to connect to the Sky Router - which of course I had set to a different IP range...

One thought - I could disable DHCP on the Sky router and so have a n/w like this maybe ?

Sky Router - 192.168.0.1 - DHCP disabled
    Draytek Router - 192.168.0.2 DHCP server

I could set the APs to get IPs from 192.168.0.2 but not sure about the Sky boxes - maybe just give them fixed IPs ?

Otherwise my BB contract is finished I think in August so maybe the easiest would be to move to BT and then Sky would have to work with it ?

Or set up like above but disable the DHCP server on the Draytek so the Sky Router is giving out the IP addresses and can be seen by the sky system but the Draytek can still act as an AP amd hopefully manage the APs still ?

Answering my own thread - it seems this is possible & Draytek even detail how to do it.

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/gu...b-router-as-ap

So I set my router up as an AP and initially all seemed good - Sky working properly again, but I kept losing intermet connectivity so switched the Draytek Off and all good again.

Had another look this morning (what else are bank holidays for ?) and it seems that the Sky Router will hand out IP addresses from .2 onwards (Draytek reserve the top 9 for network stuff) and sure enough 192.168.0.2 was already in use.

So I unplugged the offending device, set the Sky router so it only issued IP addresses from 3 and rebooted. Draytek now up and running and managing the APs so hopefully will be worth the effort.

I might set the Sky Router to 10 at some point, hopefully the other devices just get a new IP at some point rather than I have to reboot them.

Master
    I’m a touch confused about how you have interconnected the devices and sky box.

The article you quote relates to using a draytek combined router/access point as a ap only.

I understood you had a number of draytek ap’s being managed by a draytek router, is that not the case?

It also sounds like you have the sky router and draytek router on the same address range is that the case?

If so and they are both dhcp servers you’ll likely have some (very) strange experiences.

If not completely replacing the sky router (though that’s what I’d do) I would do the following
    You’d want the sky router on a separate address range to the draytek router
    Turn off wifi on the sky router
    Connect a sky lan port to the wan port on the draytek
    All other physical network connections go to the draytek lan ports
    All wifi to the ap’s connected to the draytek.

Master
    Well that was a partial success...

Switched the IP addresses and everything seemed to work. The Draytek Router could see and manage the APs and all seemed good...

Except the Sky TV system needs to connect to the Sky Router - which of course I had set to a different IP range...

One thought - I could disable DHCP on the Sky router and so have a n/w like this maybe ?

Sky Router - 192.168.0.1 - DHCP disabled
    Draytek Router - 192.168.0.2 DHCP server

I could set the APs to get IPs from 192.168.0.2 but not sure about the Sky boxes - maybe just give them fixed IPs ?

Otherwise my BB contract is finished I think in August so maybe the easiest would be to move to BT and then Sky would have to work with it ?

You need to change the sky range as per my earlier post.

Move the sky range to 192.168.10.0
    Turn dhcp back on

See the ‘Lan tcp/ip address section here.

https://setuprouter.com/router/bskyb...ip-address.htm

Thanks - I don't think I explained properly.

I changed the Sky Router to a different range (192.168.57.1) and connected via the WAN port of the Draytek which I gave the old IP address of the sky router to (192.168.0.1).

This worked perfectly, except Sky TV no longer worked even with a network reset.

I now have the Draytek Router working as an AP via its LAN port on the same network (192.168.0.2). The hiccup was the DHCP of the Sky Router was duplicating the IP address I had given the Draytek AP so I had to move the DHCP range of the Sky Router.

I would still like to get rid of the Sky router at some point.

Thanks again for your help

Master
    Ah I don’t have sky so might not be the best placed to help however I know the sky boxes can be challenging.

Despite being cabled I understand they can still need to be forced to give up previous network connections, I believe on the main box after changing the network connection it’s settings > setup> networks > reset & then force it onto the new lan, it it’s sky q it’s the same on watch mini box too.

hth & best of luck

Sorry too much ‘tea’ at the street party ;-)
    I missed you already tried a network reset, strange things sky boxes
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 2nd June 2022 at 22:11.

Thanks and glad you enjoyed the tea.

Checking more closely it seems I probably have Sky Fibre so Draytek provide a guide as to replacing the Sky Router with their router so at some point I will try this - when we don't need the TV/WiFi for a bit.

I think the network reset also needed to start with the main box - tricky as uses a complex system so maybe with an HDMI monitor attached to the Sky box I can network reset it and it will pick up the new network.

I think best solution is -

1 Configure Draytek router to replace Sky Router
    2 Use Draytek WAN if 1 not successful

Thanks again for the advice - Sky certainly don't make it easy !

Been following this thread with interest for a while. The Sky mini boxes make it a total headache.

I put three Google Wifi APs in my aunt’s place but had to keep the existing network going just for the TV. The mini boxes are they only things connected to the original SSID now.

My boxes are all hard wired and the WiFi is disabled but still they say they are on the Sky network.

I will keep going and let you know if I manage to ditch it and still watch TV

Thank you. My aunt’s place is quite large and getting the sky mini boxes wired is too invasive for her. It’s all hardwired here thanks to help by Captain Morgan but does put me off ever getting Sky.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Thank you. My aunt’s place is quite large and getting the sky mini boxes wired is too invasive for her. It’s all hardwired here thanks to help by Captain Morgan but does put me off ever getting Sky.
    Your answer would seem to be - turn the WiFi off on each Sky box - I have done this bit as I am running my own WiFi network.

Then on the main Sky Q box, go to Settings / Setup / Network / Reset, and connect the box to the new wifi. I haven't done this bit yet but I am going to try at somepoint when we don't need the TV for a bit.

There do seem to be people adding boosters etc who do this - although I would have thought usng Sky's SSID would have been easier.

Your answer would seem to be - turn the WiFi off on each Sky box - I have done this bit as I am running my own WiFi network.

Then on the main Sky Q box, go to Settings / Setup / Network / Reset, and connect the box to the new wifi. I haven't done this bit yet but I am going to try at somepoint when we don't need the TV for a bit.

There do seem to be people adding boosters etc who do this - although I would have thought usng Sky's SSID would have been easier.
    Thanks, will give it a go when they’re out for the day at some point. I have a cousin there with learning difficulties and if I break the internet/tv - even for 5 mins - I’ll never be forgiven. Would need them to be out.

Master
    Reading this makes me glad I am with Virgin and my Orbi set up was very easy. Sounds like I’d be pulling my hair out and hiring someone to resolve.

Fair play OP and best of luck with getting it all sorted. I’m out my depth working out what extra Orbi satellite I can order to add to my current kit lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bumping this up for the curious/bored/future reference...

Finally got this all up together and working after a few false starts...

Sky Router now has the IP 192.168.99.1 and DHCP disabled (& Wifi) so as close to a modem as you can get it and is now plugged into the WAN port of the Draytek (ethernet).

Draytek Router is now 192.168.0.1 and provided DHCP services as well as Gateway & manages the rest of the house - this also meant no config changes anywhere else (sky router was 192.168.0.1) just a restart of the switches.

Sky, Catch Up, Netflix etc all working fine - Wifi completely stable, and DHCP working properly at last too (previously it took a week before the Sky Router gave an IP address to the (hardwired) TV once !) Sky boxes all had to rejoin the network etc. but all running after a quick setup/config again.

When City Fibre finally enable the firbre they dug the road up for last summer it should just need a change of WAN input I hope to get more than the 35 MB we get at the moment. Although so far I can now live with the Sky Router now it doesn't really do anything but authenticate the Sky Broadband supply and pass it on.

Bumping this up for the curious/bored/future reference...

Finally got this all up together and working after a few false starts...

Sky Router now has the IP 192.168.99.1 and DHCP disabled (& Wifi) so as close to a modem as you can get it and is now plugged into the WAN port of the Draytek (ethernet).

Draytek Router is now 192.168.0.1 and provided DHCP services as well as Gateway & manages the rest of the house - this also meant no config changes anywhere else (sky router was 192.168.0.1) just a restart of the switches.

Sky, Catch Up, Netflix etc all working fine - Wifi completely stable, and DHCP working properly at last too (previously it took a week before the Sky Router gave an IP address to the (hardwired) TV once !) Sky boxes all had to rejoin the network etc. but all running after a quick setup/config again.

When City Fibre finally enable the firbre they dug the road up for last summer it should just need a change of WAN input I hope to get more than the 35 MB we get at the moment. Although so far I can now live with the Sky Router now it doesn't really do anything but authenticate the Sky Broadband supply and pass it on.
    The only slight issue with the Sky & Draytek will be a double NAT, which shouldn't effect you, unless you set up a VPN solution into home on your Draytek router.

Have you thought on what you're going to do when they switch off the analogue phone lines and go voice over IP ?