closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SECURSUS' terms and conditions

SECURSUS' terms and conditions

I use SECURSUS insurance when shipping valuable packages within thw UK and note that their terms and conditions exclude consignments shipped via 'parcels shops' ... so I enquired if e.g. a DHL / UPS / TNT 'drop-off' store acting as an agent is classified as a 'parcel shop'
    ... this is their reply :

Duncan,

Are considered as parcels shops, shops that are not dedicated to parcel shipping. I’m afraid agents are considered as parcels shops by Secursus.

I’d advise you to choose the collection directly from your home.

Before shipping, I advise you to read our shipping instructions : https://www.secursus.com/en-gb/prepare-your-package/ and our T&Cs : https://www.secursus.com/en-gb/terms-and-conditions/

Should you need more information, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Marie Vastel | Account Manager
    E : marie@secursus.com
    W : https://www.secursus.com

On checking their terms and conditions further SECURSUS does define the term 'parcel shop' as being agents of courier companies ... which includes eg supermarkets acting as agents / drop-off points
    I have now asked another question as to whether local Post Offices which are also part of local general stores are classified as 'parcels shops'

And I'm wondering about the customs declaration which must declare a value and which according to SECURSUS must be hidden under the shipping label ... how would US Customs determine the value without accessing the hidden customs declaration?

SECURSUS state that the parcel label must not disclose the value .

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    how would US Customs determine the value without accessing the hidden customs declaration?
    They'd look at the hidden customs declaration. ;-) Hidden doesn't mean impossible to view. You can do this with a stick-on plastic document pouch. The customs declaration goes inside the pouch and the address/postage label goes over the declaration on the outside of the pouch.

This may or may not suit some Post Office staff or some regulations but it's a not uncommon arrangement from what I've seen as recipient.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    They'd look at the hidden customs declaration. ;-) Hidden doesn't mean impossible to view. You can do this with a stick-on plastic document pouch. The customs declaration goes inside the pouch and the address/postage label goes over the declaration on the outside of the pouch.

This may or may not suit some Post Office staff or some regulations but it's a not uncommon arrangement from what I've seen as recipient.
    Thank you Mark ... I will investigate stick-on document pouches ... never used one for PO consignments ... I guess I could also make one

Also interested in hearing from SECURSUS customers who insure packages shipped overseas ... as distinct from UK destinations ... and if they've experienced problems with USA customs declarations

dunk

I wonder if an RM shop within a busy Spar or WH Smiths is covered under Secursus, as many post offices are these days? They are an agent AFAIK

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    I wonder if an RM shop within a busy Spar or WH Smiths is covered under Secursus, as many post offices are these days? They are an agent AFAIK
    I'm interested to hear this too as the majority of post offices sit within other businesses. I wouldn't feel comfortable having an expensive parcel collected directly from my house.

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    I have asked SECURSUS and this was their their reply a few seconds ago ...

Duncan,

For Post Offices, if there is a separate place in the shop (with a proper counter) dedicated to parcel shipping, that’s fine.

I still advise you to choose the collection, that’s the safest way to ship a parcel.

Kind regards,

So ... it's only the courier companies' 'drop off' agents which are a NO GO for SECURSUS insurance cover ... Which not surprising because my local DHL agent stores parcels on a shelf in the shop overnight if not collected same day ... no secure storage ... any Tom Dick Or Harry can break in and access the shelf ... store owner does not live on premises
    Last edited by sundial; 24th May 2022 at 14:40.

Another shortcoming of SECURSUS insurance for overseas shipping is their 14 day transit limit ... if not delivered / signed for within 14 days the insurance is invalid ... so if stuck in customs for up to the 14th day of transit / shipping, and delivery allegedly attempted on day 15 or later when could be lost or stolen ... no insurance claim possible ... Best to read all the small print especially if sending high value items ... I could be sending a package valued at £4K to USA ref potential eBay sale ... thus giving insurance & shipping very careful consideration ... Unlikely anyone in UK would bid on the item ... not a wrist watch

I have asked SECURSUS and this was their their reply a few seconds ago ...

Duncan,

For Post Offices, if there is a separate place in the shop (with a proper counter) dedicated to parcel shipping, that’s fine.

I still advise you to choose the collection, that’s the safest way to ship a parcel.

Kind regards,

So ... it's only the courier companies' 'drop off' agents which are a NO GO for SECURSUS insurance cover ... Which not surprising because my local DHL agent stores parcels on a shelf in the shop overnight if not collected same day ... no secure storage ... any Tom Dick Or Harry can break in and access the shelf ... store owner does not live on premises
    That's a useful clarification, thanks Dunk. The local Spar does have a counter dedicated to RM but it is in a row of counters so others may hear the discussion over contents and value. Still, if ts covered I would rather that than collection I think.

Collection is fine if it scanned at your door ... official driver collecting from your door also collects / delivers , to / from Royal Mail depot & to/from courier depot ... once scanned and on the system it's trackable if trackable service used. ... tracking provides audit trail if consignment lost / stolen
    Last edited by sundial; 24th May 2022 at 17:10.

Interesting thread, thanks for brining this up. I've used Secursus in the past, but there seems to be a few inconsistencies in their T&Cs that would probably make an actual claim quite difficult I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Traveller View Post
    Interesting thread, thanks for brining this up. I've used Secursus in the past, but there seems to be a few inconsistencies in their T&Cs that would probably make an actual claim quite difficult I reckon.
    Secursus' terms and conditions are all documented ... but require customer awareness to realise their exclusions .. basically anything that might compromise security could compromise a claim ... but same applies to couriers' insurances ... I would be using Secursus for the excess cover required over and above the courier's (including Royal Mail's) insurance coverage ... which in the case of Royal Mail and some other parcel services is £200 when shipping overseas. Higher insurance limit is available at a price (but not for Royal Mail) ... Secursus' excess layer coverage can be cheaper than paying the parcel carrier's excess layer insurance premium. Secursus 14 day limit might be a problem if consignment is stuck in USA customs.

Secursus is a NO GO regarding claims if customer drops off package at a 'parcel shop' ie a business acting as an agent for e.g. DHL, FEDEX etc etc ... but some customers using 'drop off' might buy the Secursus cover and not be aware of the exclusion until they try and make a claim ... when Secursus would immediately invalidate the insurance claim (and likely keep your premium) because they'd discover via tracking info that the 'drop off' parcel shop was used ... But if no claim they happily keep the premium ... assuming the customer has thoroughly read and understood their terms and conditions.
    Last edited by sundial; 24th May 2022 at 17:01.

Blog Entries
    I had one deal for package that took 15days to reach me in PT from UK. But was under 200£ so covered by RM T&C - not sure what time limit theirs is.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I had one deal for package that took 15days to reach me in PT from UK. But was under 200£ so covered by RM T&C - not sure what time limit theirs is.
    RM do not have a time limit for claims and do not specify guaranteed transit time for consignments sent overseas ... It appears to be only Secursus who specify a 14 day 'delivery window' ... within which damage / loss is insurable ... but the claim can be made after the 14 day transit for known loss / damage incurred during the 14 day transit window.

So if I walk into a post office shop that has one till which covers the goods you can buy in the shop as well as the parcels, it’s not covered, is that what we are saying here?

Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    So if I walk into a post office shop that has one till which covers the goods you can buy in the shop as well as the parcels, it’s not covered, is that what we are saying here?
    You'd have to ask Secursus about that particular PO ... My local PO is also a general store and newsagent; the PO counter section is a secure dept with several separate windows and secure parcels storage ...snd according to Secursus' email advice today it meets / conforms with their definition of a an approved PO ... However, to be on the safe side I would likely drive to a 'standalone' PO if posting a valuable item requiring Sercusus insurance ... or have it collected by Royal Mail ... 60p fee for collections from home

The real test for Sercusus will be when a forum member ships a valuable watch with Sercusus insurance and has to make a claim for loss or damage in transit ... claim form will ask how it was shipped and from where and also request tracking info ... if dropped off at a Parcels Shop the claim is invalid ... as per their terms /conditions ... But if dropped off at a PO the claim should be considered
    Last edited by sundial; 24th May 2022 at 20:58.

Blog Entries
    Is that true of any Post Office or sub-Post Office? All the ones I've seen, even the smallest one in a tiny corner shop, have a separate area/counter for the Post Office business.

In my case the post office counter and till is securely closed up and shielded with Perspex screens and secure door access to behind the tills area, so I am assuming that is ok for insurance, but I will be checking.

^^^ Just use common sense and if it looks a bit "iffy" go elsewhere if appears not to conform to Secursus' definition of a 'separate PO counter'

I've been pondering about use of Secursus for my potential eBay sale to USA ... and decided not to use Secursus. I contacted the seller of a similar item who shipped his to the USA via FedEx ... his consignment has been stuck in US Customs for over 2 weeks ... and he's had to provide more info. to US Customs to enable clearance . Secursus insurance would be invalid after 14 transit days. If my sale goes ahead I'll use the courier's insurance. I'll continue to use Secursus (when necessary) for UK sales in excess of RMSD limit.
    Last edited by sundial; 25th May 2022 at 11:10.

Blog Entries
    In my case the post office counter and till is securely closed up and shielded with Perspex screens and secure door access to behind the tills area, so I am assuming that is ok for insurance, but I will be checking.
    According to what has been said here (specifically #6), this arrangement would certainly pass Secursus' test for branch vs. agent.

Blog Entries
    I've been pondering about use of Secursus for my potential eBay sale to USA ... and decided not to use Secursus. I contacted the seller of a similar item who shipped his to the USA via FedEx ... his consignment has been stuck in US Customs for over 2 weeks ... and he's had to provide more info. to US Customs to enable clearance . Secursus insurance would be invalid after 14 transit days. If my sale goes ahead I'll use the courier's insurance. I'll continue to use Secursus (when necessary) for UK sales in excess of RMSD limit.
    There is also IFS Inforsure, founded by a member of this forum, but I've never used them.

Has anyone here used them?

Worryingly, I see that there are now two similar domains seemingly pointing to two different companies, one in the USA, one in Hong Kong. I seem to recall that the USA one is the right one.

Regarding 'private individuals' insuring consignments with Sercusus : I was advised by Sercusus as follows:

I confirm that we can cover private individuals. In that situation, we require a certificate of sale backed with a proof of payment.

Before shipping, I advise you to read our shipping instructions : https://www.secursus.com/en-gb/prepare-your-package/ and our T&Cs : https://www.secursus.com/en-gb/terms-and-conditions/

Kind regards,

.... and subsequently advised the certificate of sale, and proof of payment, is only required by Sercusus in the event of a claim.

Just re-checking Sercusus' terms & conditions – and previous email correspondence with Sercusus ref 'private individuals' as 'insureds'.
    Last edited by sundial; 5th November 2023 at 16:52.

Regarding 'private individuals' insuring consignments with Sercusus : I was advised by Sercusus as follows:

I confirm that we can cover private individuals. In that situation, we require a certificate of sale backed with a proof of payment.

Kind regards,

.... and subsequently advised the certificate of sale, and proof of payment, is only required by Sercusus in the event of a claim.

Just re-checking Sercusus' terms & conditions – and previous email correspondence with Sercusus ref 'private individuals' as 'insureds'.
    Of course, there are other circumstances in which one might want to send a watch to a third party (for example, when sending it for a service).

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Of course, there are other circumstances in which one might want to send a watch to a third party (for example, when sending it for a service).
    Yes Tony but easy to confirm reqd. cover with Secursus – they responded very quickly to my enquiry.

BW, dunk

They don’t cover this, I’ve checked with them.

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    They don’t cover this, I’ve checked with them.
    Unfortunately, our insurance policy only covers items that are sold. We require either a recent commercial invoice if you’re a professional, or a certificate of sale backed with a proof of payment if it’s a sale between two individuals.

As you’re sending the watches for service, we won’t be able to cover it.

Unfortunately, our insurance policy only covers items that are sold. We require either a recent commercial invoice if you’re a professional, or a certificate of sale backed with a proof of payment if it’s a sale between two individuals.

Thanks for that, Ed. Good to build up a body of knowledge when it comes to the various service providers out there.

Useful information. Might be worth enquiring if the repair agency can cover the insurance via their own inwards shipping fee.