closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch Accuracy Meter app

Watch Accuracy Meter app

Obviously no substitute for a proper timegrapher, but quick, fun, free option to check how automatics are running.

Anyone else tried it?

I've had it on my phone for a while, seems to be pretty accurate and its certainly easy to use.

Is this Android only? I cant find the same one on iPhone, but others are available.

Can anyone recommend one for iPhone ? Toolwatch perhaps, but the ratings are not as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Is this Android only? I cant find the same one on iPhone, but others are available.

Can anyone recommend one for iPhone ? Toolwatch perhaps, but the ratings are not as good.
    I get on well with Watch Tuner Timegrapher on iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post

I'm using it on Android, yes.

Just tried it on my PRS3 Broadarrow measuring +2 seconds 😁 happy with that.
    My Steinhart MK1 Ocean Red was +6.

Journeyman
    I'm using watch check on android. multiple watches, settings for which position it's stored in when not worn etc. seems pretty good for free

Grand Master
    Do any of these give the amplitude? That's a better indication of the watch's state of health.

No Paul.... Just treated as a bit of fun but the results were fairly accurate when checked against radio clock.

Screen shot from Watch Tuner Timegrapher.

Reports amplitude and option to change the lift angle.

Timegrapher as above is the one I've used with great success. I needed to turn up the sensitivity and put it in a very quiet room in the house but it gave a great and, as it turns out, highly accurate amplitude reading which told me that a couple of my watches needed a good service.

Grand Master
    Even with a Timegrapher, which has a custom- designed microphone and clamp, it can be difficult to get a clean signal from some watches owing to the thickness of the case and the way the movement is mounted. I can’t see how a phone can perform this task reliably, if you can’t get a clean signal you're going to struggle to get sensible results.

I’ve had watches sent to me accompanied by figures from phone apps and in mist cases the figures haven’t made any sense, I have a wry smile when I put the watch on my own machine and see what’s really going on!

Amplitude figures are a good indication of the watch’s health but some interpretation is required to avoid drawing the wrong conclusions. If an ETA 2892 is only giving 270 degrees dial up fully wound I’d be concerned, but if a Seiko 7S26 or Omega 565 gave thus figure I’d be delighted! Likewise with positional agreement, you have to be realistic with expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Even with a Timegrapher, which has a custom- designed microphone and clamp, it can be difficult to get a clean signal from some watches owing to the thickness of the case and the way the movement is mounted. I can’t see how a phone can perform this task reliably, if you can’t get a clean signal you're going to struggle to get sensible results.

I’ve had watches sent to me accompanied by figures from phone apps and in mist cases the figures haven’t made any sense, I have a wry smile when I put the watch on my own machine and see what’s really going on!

Amplitude figures are a good indication of the watch’s health but some interpretation is required to avoid drawing the wrong conclusions. If an ETA 2892 is only giving 270 degrees dial up fully wound I’d be concerned, but if a Seiko 7S26 or Omega 565 gave thus figure I’d be delighted! Likewise with positional agreement, you have to be realistic with expectations.
    As a watchmaker why not try a comparison with your professional Timegrapher? Nobody would claim that for a professional it's any sort of substitute but when I sent an Omega Seamaster in for a service some years ago with a well known and respected individual on here his report bore an uncanny similarity, if somewhat more limited, to the report from the app.

Watch Accuracy Meter app

This is from a 1973 Omega cal. 1012. Dial up.

few tips that from my experience with Watch Accuracy Meter in just two days:

1. Ensure the watch is sufficiently wound for better stable result;

2. Place the watch close to the mic;

3. A steady surface and a quiet environment will minimize interferences;

4. For thick case diver watches, I place the crown close to the mic.

I succeeded by tuning mine from-30s to just few s and measuring from different positions really derived different results for low end Seiko movement as well.

There is much improvement for the new 4R movement in term of beat rate error in comparing to those old 7s.

Master
    I use the WatchTracker app on the iPad. Seems reasonable for tracking accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    I use the WatchTracker app on the iPad. Seems reasonable for tracking accuracy.
    This seems a lot like Toolwatch, except that’s free.