closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Bearded Dragon owners?

Any Bearded Dragon owners?

And I don’t mean Are you married!

My son is really keen on one, done some good research, but just wanted a bit of real-world experience.

Any thoughts would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Currently got two among a collection of 14 animals most reptiles, both are rescues and one only has 3 legs.
    Easy to keep and fairly robust in terms of a first foray in to the reptile world.
    They need a decent sized tank mine are in 4ft tanks, with heating and lighting. They eat a mixed diet of live food and greenery. Ours are on carpet tiles as a substrate but their are lots of options some good some bad.
    There’s always bearded dragons on various Facebook rehoming sites, as well as the RSCPA reptile centre just outside of Brighton or the National centre for reptile rescue in Kent amongst others.
    I would go for a rescue over one in the shop for a couple of reasons, firstly size when you buy them in the shop they are fairly small and tend to be fast and can take time and work to be handled. Secondly cost the price of a bearded dragon has gone up massively in the last few years from sub £50 to £120-150 for nothing special if you want a fancy morph then you can spend a lot more.

There’s lots of good care sheets online such as these https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/hel...egory/lizards/

Ive got a beard but am yet to procure a dragon

Master
    In the 1970s you’d have been allowed a mother-in-law joke there!

So many end up in rescue centres when 'owners' get fed up with them and the novelty wears off ... I visited a rescue centre and was not a pleasant experience . Dragons need decent size vivariums and devoted owners who understand their needs.
    Dragons belong 'in the wild' ... too many end up 'unloved' and captive in unnatural surroundings ... children grow up and develop other interests. Heated / illuminated vivariums use expensive electricity.
    Last edited by sundial; 23rd May 2022 at 13:25.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    Ive got a beard but am yet to procure a dragon
    Get a flashy motor and open your wallet frequently in public spaces, the dragons will find you...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Don't forget possible veterinary care and/or insurance. They do get ill and do cost money at the vet.

I'm not a dragon owner but my ex-dragongirlfriend had one. She got it for her kids but predictably she ended up looking after it most of the time. It eventually contracted some kind of fatal disease, I forget what, and after some painfully expensive vet bills it had to be put down. She was heartbroken.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    So many end up in rescue centres when 'owners' get fed up with them and the novelty wears off ... I visited a rescue centre and was not a pleasant experience . Dragons need decent size vivariums and devoted owners who understand their needs.
    Dragons belong 'in the wild' ... too many end up 'unloved' and captive in unnatural surroundings ... children grow up and develop other interests. Heated / illuminated vivariums use expensive electricity.
    Could equally well apply to many species kept as 'pets'. Many animals suffer for little reason.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.