closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If the Watch Market Crashes What Would You Buy?

If the Watch Market Crashes What Would You Buy?

Or should I say when, as all asset classes go in cycles.

Sod the Rolex nonsense, I will be after a VC Overseas Chrono. She is a real beauty.

Casio F91W as we will all be living caves…

I think I’d be content with a new Speedmaster Pro sapphire model. A beautiful dial, and a stunning movement to look at, perfect size case and works with on straps, natos and bracelet.

It’s a fantastic watch, whatever the price.

WG 5100, i like some bling in my cave.

Aquanaut travel time or a royal oak chrono, whichever I could get my hands on.

Interesting question

I think that although everything has risen (in the Rolex, AP and Patek ranges at least) and some more than others, I think some watches will be more resilient than others.

Will an NOS LV from 2010 lose as much as the current Starbucks sub? It won't, IMO.

Only overhyped newer watches that are currently available to the few at RRP are going to suffer badly. Most aren’t going to see much change, and any nearly new Speedmaster or Seamaster isn’t going to cost much different; and the premium of regular sports Rolex models will just reduce - RRP isn’t going to go down, and I wouldn’t expect discounts on the usual suspects any time soon.

Buying…

Im still going to try and pick up a few Rolex models at RRP, and usually add a Tudor or two. I will also buy Omega watches I like as and when they come up at the right prices.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 22nd May 2022 at 21:22.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Blog Entries
    VC overseas. I see these being available at retail very soon.

Always wanted an AP ROO.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Only overhyped newer watches that are currently available to the few at RRP are going to suffer badly. Most aren’t going to see much change, and any nearly new Speedmaster or Seamaster isn’t going to cost much different; and the premium of regular sports Rolex models will just reduce - RRP isn’t going to go down, and I wouldn’t expect discounts on the usual suspects any time soon.

Buying…

Im still going to try and pick up a few Rolex models at RRP, and usually add a Tudor or two. I will also buy Omega watches I like as and when they come up at the right prices.
    I agree the RRP will not come down, but that is not what I am after.

It is the inevitable return to earth of those watches with current 2x, 3x and 4x prices in relation to RRP.

Trinkets are the first to revert to mean.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    VC overseas. I see these being available at retail very soon.
    What’s the rationale for this watch specifically, out of interest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A nautilus. If they were closer to the 30-40 mark… one can dream.

Craftsman
    When it happens, AP 16202 in a heartbeat.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kinyik View Post

But if they came down to the 30-40 mark, would it not be sensible to wait to see if they came down to say 25?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    But if they came down to the 30-40 mark, would it not be sensible to wait to see if they came down to say 25?
    Hear, hear. I’d get myself the blue 5711 if that day came. Beautiful lines and spot-on symmetry.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peterdo View Post
    What’s the rationale for this watch specifically, out of interest?

I just thought that these were one of the last watches to spike in value. While the Nautilus and Royal Oaks was booming these were sitting at retail for a long time.

I also see dealers trying to sell these at very high prices but not seen these achieve these sales on eBay.

I also feel like these out of all the in demand watches are owned by a large company that will look to maximise their profits.

Quote Originally Posted by kinyik View Post

Wont happen though, as they are no longer in production. Other models by other brands, AP and VC are still being produced and can still be bought, by some at RRP.

Wont happen though, as they are no longer in production. Other models by other brands, AP and VC are still being produced and can still be bought, by some at RRP.
    Fair point. Perhaps the 5726 might be a more realistic option. Still in production.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    I just thought that these were one of the last watches to spike in value. While the Nautilus and Royal Oaks was booming these were sitting at retail for a long time.

I also see dealers trying to sell these at very high prices but not seen these achieve these sales on eBay.

I also feel like these out of all the in demand watches are owned by a large company that will look to maximise their profits.
    They definitely went under the radar for a period, I bought an AP RO Chrono a year before the VC Overseas, only waited 3 months for the AP and bought the VC from the window.

Both are now pretty much boutique only and wait lists pretty much closed. VC despite being part of Richemont are not heavy production, with c25,000 watches, with a strap line of ‘one of not many’ so I don’t think they will ramp up capacity as they want the same ‘exclusivity’ as AP and PP

My own take is that VC flew under the radar for a while but has now been recognised as producing pieces that rival the best, hence the PP effect extending to them, especially for the desirable pieces

Master
    Blog Entries
    A complicated Lange. Back when they were floating for 50 % retail.

Blog Entries
    Will be … My next watch at the right price.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Guys a GP Laureato sells above list. A watch that was readily available at 30% off list.

If that's not a sign of an overheated market then I don't know what is

A Journe Chronometre Souverain. Nearly went for one a couple of times and couldn’t quite justify the price back when a second hand one could be had for about £16-18k
    Still love that piece and it is a grail watch but not at today’s prices!
    Can’t see them ever going backwards though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peterdo View Post
    They definitely went under the radar for a period, I bought an AP RO Chrono a year before the VC Overseas, only waited 3 months for the AP and bought the VC from the window.

Both are now pretty much boutique only and wait lists pretty much closed. VC despite being part of Richemont are not heavy production, with c25,000 watches, with a strap line of ‘one of not many’ so I don’t think they will ramp up capacity as they want the same ‘exclusivity’ as AP and PP

My own take is that VC flew under the radar for a while but has now been recognised as producing pieces that rival the best, hence the PP effect extending to them, especially for the desirable pieces

I expect the all to fall but VC was basically an alternative to PP and AP models. When PP and AP drop BC will drop harder. I mean the only Blue 4500v I can see that has sold went for under £30k.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I would still buy Rolex. Pepsi on Oyster.

Master

I would buy a Rolex Anniversary submariner and fit a black bezel insert.
    Last edited by johny; 23rd May 2022 at 15:22.

Master
    I cannot see any of the good brands dropping much in price because there are still enough well off people to replace the man who has to sell because of a 10% inflation spell that's likely to last less than two years.

My buying days are sort of done but I am hankering over a JLC Reverso or PP Gondola. If a real bargain does come up I will grab it but I don't really see the crash ever materialising.

Craftsman
    Vintage watches as they will still keep their value .

rootbeer rolex ceramic.......

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Sod the Rolex nonsense, I will be after a VC Overseas Chrono. She is a real beauty.
    I'm with you on that:
    was on the cusp of buying one of these for months but was trying to figure out if i preferred v2 or v3...and having seen the V3 in the flesh, just wanted to do the same for a v2.....then someone went all crazy on instagram and that closed the door on both for me as the 2nd hand value went through the roof....Sill praying that people fall out of love for them or i win the lottery.

More watches:-)

Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    I would buy a Rolex Anniversary submariner and fit a black bezel insert.
    I did that years ago, and still wear it that way - but have another that I’m actually wearing today with the original green bezel insert. Not sure I’d pay current used prices though.

I couldn’t even order the current ceramic version, as I’m only allowed one hot model on my expression of interest list at a time :( Hopefully that will be fulfilled sooner rather than later, and I’ll get a new version for the watch box too - at RRP though

If a down turn clears out some flippers, and I can get the GMT on jubilee I’m waiting for at list, I’ll be happy, and out of the watch market to enjoy what I have.

Unless there is a very severe downturn in the 15202 market!

Dave

Patek Aquanaut, just the basic time/date black dial version.

I know it divides opinion, but I think that watch is grail worthy. At RRP I'd go for it.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    5712a
    15202a
    FPJ chronometre à résonance

Master
    Probably nothing because that would be a big indicator of severe recession (based on what I've been reading) so I'd do exactly what the government doesn't want and horde my money for unforeseen circumstances as I'm extremely risk averse.
    But if I had to I'd buy a SS blue Skydweller.

Master
    If we ever go back to getting DayDates under list, a DayDate, 36mm, yellow gold.

Milgauss 1019. But it would need to be a catastrophic market crash for that opportunity to come about!

Craftsman
    Not very imaginative, but I'd be very tempted to go for a Rolex Skydweller, or if I were to finally pluck up the courage for a steel and gold combo, maybe a Rolex GMT CHNR

Master
    Nothing, to be honest. I seem to have reached the point where I've lost interest in spending any more than about a grand (two at a push) on a watch. The best of the micro / non-hyped smaller brands can offer such tremendous VFM nowadays that I can't bring myself to fork out any more than that in the pursuit of vertiginously diminishing returns and branding.

If second hand SS sports Rolexes were still available for 2-3k, perhaps I might be interested but, gazing into my crystal ball, I predict those days are gone.

Good thread, I really stopped looking to buy more watches and enjoy what I have, when the watch world went crazy.

I seem to only wear G Shocks when I am working ( which is increasingly a lot of the time ) or at weekends I wear series 1 pelegos or a seiko diver.

Yesterday, I went in a AD ( where I bought my pelegos) as I was passing, not been inside for I reckon 3 years or more due to the way of the world. Had a brief chat about stuff as I know the people in passing and they are all super friendly.

Ended up trying on the latest 41mm Rolex Non Date Submariner.

I had tried a the previous chunky one years ago and I did not like it on my wrist. This new one was actually really comfortable and looked understated. Was surprised how much RRP is these days, ouch.

Later looked at how much the grey market is, Seriously mind blown.

So if the watch market Crashes I would by a 41mm Non date Sub, classic nice watch,

I am so not interested in values, I just like wrist watches, but not as much as I used too.

Master
    If it went back to the old days I’d have a sea dweller as a beater to replace the bi metallic sub I sold years ago, wore it all the time but with the prices the way they are it’s never going to be replaced. Now it’s gshock for work and Omega and Seiko for other times

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I would like the most complicated Breguet, like a classic double tourbillon , which i wouldn't get tired of admiring when I'm living in a tent.

Master
    Maybe a bit boring but id take a white dial daytona at list and i wouldnt say no to a discounted RG YM on oysterflex, finally id pick up a Speedy for £2k .

Journeyman
    I’d like to add a Rolex. It would be nice to think that as secondary prices fall nearer to RRP, then waiting lists will also fall as the flippers step aside

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    Maybe a bit boring but id take a white dial daytona at list and i wouldnt say no to a discounted RG YM on oysterflex, finally id pick up a Speedy for £2k .

Respectfully suggest you’re better off hopping into a modified DeLoreon chap….

Blog Entries
    Nautilus and a Pepsi on oyster. Same as now really.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

The meteorite dial GMT for me!

Blog Entries
    40mm Blancpain aqualung in rose gold

Master
    I did that years ago, and still wear it that way - but have another that I’m actually wearing today with the original green bezel insert. Not sure I’d pay current used prices though.

I couldn’t even order the current ceramic version, as I’m only allowed one hot model on my expression of interest list at a time :( Hopefully that will be fulfilled sooner rather than later, and I’ll get a new version for the watch box too - at RRP though
    I tried the black bezel but only lasted a day with it before I put the green one back on.