closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SOTC of sorts.

SOTC of sorts.

So recently I have had the urge to look at consolidating at thinking I’ve got too many and maybe if I sell and then stick to a 3 watch collection I could end up with 3 nicer watches…

Yet then I pull all the watches together and for the first time they are all in the same place for a day. I look at what I have and struggle to slim it down. So here I think, I’ll do a SOTC breaking them down into their uses and then see what and where I can trim the collection. As always i’ll give the story of where the watch came from etc.

To start here is the dress watches.

The first here is a definite keeper. This Accurist was my Grandads and the memories are there always saw him wearing this a simple watch which he was proud to own and use.

Then comes my first choice. The remaining two I am sure I don’t need both.

The Smiths came from this forum and was a real bargain and a watch I love when I wear it.

The Omega is lovely and was the first real watch I bought after I moved on from fashion brands. But, is worn rarely.

Moving on from the dress watches we enter the issued/military watches.

Again the first one here is a definite keeper, it’s in the military section as it was worn by my grandad during WW2. Not a lot known about it and it’s tiny but brings back so many memories and was the watch as a kid I obsessed over when I was looking through my granddads boxes.

Next came the G10 lovely watch and was so cheap to buy was issued and holds more of an interest for me there because of that.

Then on entering lockdown I browsing the forum and came across this issued Hamilton, a small watch, manual wind, issued and what more can I say i love this piece and can’t see this ever being moved on! Though I’ll take recommendations for another strap for it.

Next up we enter the beater watch section.

The CWC SBS Diver was a pick up on this forum it’s not in my military section as is not issued. I like the watch but could certainly do without it. I would love to add an issued CWC Diver to the collection then it would definitely be a goner!

Then there is the Seiko.. what can I say. Moment of weakness while out shopping, I do like the watch but little to no wrist time kinda gets worn when I’m gardening or doing DIY. Certainly a candidate to move on

After this we tend to move into the core collection watches bought and worn regularly.

So we start with the 2254. I really enjoy this watch and it seems to have found a home as the go to holiday watch I take it with 3 NATOs the bracelet and a couple of nice rubber straps. Bought of the forum.

Then we move on to the Aerospace, bought on a whim from here was wasn’t really loved. But then my youngest son got hold of it and loved it he’s only 5 and adores this watch calling it quite appropriately ‘the beepy watch’ so now i’m my head kinda has a sentimental value.

Next up the Sub 14060m bought here again of a well respected member and I love it. Worn loads but I still wouldn’t say it’s safe in the collection, this opinion though changes regularly!

Then we have the OP36. Where to start!? This watch is going no where and never will. This watch has a sad story to its buying but was bought for a good reason and I still convince myself I wear this regularly as a reminder of my parents. So I lost my mum in December 2016 very suddenly then in 2018 I was on a trip to the Trafford centre looking at various watches and the day later I was showing my Dad the pictures and he pointed out the OP36 as one he liked. I still remember that well it was a friday night over a pint as we did ever friday chatting and setting the world to rights. Then the morning after he took himself into hospital with stomach pains and passed away on the monday. Both parents in 23 months. I dealt with his estate and promised myself after this was completed i would treat myself to a watch as a gift from them and when it came the time what more fitting than one he had almost chosen for me the last time we had a pint.

Then we have the Speedie bought of here second speedie i’ve had and enjoy this one although maybe another chrono would be chosen if I got to my 3 piece collection!

So if you’ve got this far that’s it! where next? who knows. Any thoughts or suggestions always welcome!
    Thank you for reading and I hope you’ve enjoyed it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by woodacre1983; 22nd May 2022 at 20:31.

Thanks for sharing the sentimental stories and good luck whittling that lot down to just 3!

Not that my opinion matters, but if it were me I would keep the Oyster and your Grandad's two. You have made a pretty bulletproof case for that option. I would then break the rule of 3 and pick one all rounder that I could live with getting scratched, either from the collection or with funds from selling the rest. I would also use some of the money on doing some nice things with the family because at the end of it all, you will cherish the memories more than the watches...

In any case, enjoy the process.

Great sotc OP. Lovely connections to your grandad, I’m sure that little Keora could tell a few stories. Good to see how the forum has helped with your collection. The Omega 2254 showing it’s versatility!

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by ant8519 View Post
    Thanks for sharing the sentimental stories and good luck whittling that lot down to just 3!

Not that my opinion matters, but if it were me I would keep the Oyster and your Grandad's two. You have made a pretty bulletproof case for that option. I would then break the rule of 3 and pick one all rounder that I could live with getting scratched, either from the collection or with funds from selling the rest. I would also use some of the money on doing some nice things with the family because at the end of it all, you will cherish the memories more than the watches...

In any case, enjoy the process.
    The two watches from my granddad are excluded from the 3 watches in the collection man maths!

Nice collection OP. I'm really drawn to the silver OP36. How big are your wrists and can we have a wrist shot please?

Putting aside the personal stories behind each, I think I could whittle this group down to three (or two + funds for a third).

But with the personal stories it's a bit more difficult! Watches that definitely wouldn't stay for me would suddenly be unsellable. That makes it tough.

SOTC of sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Nice collection OP. I'm really drawn to the silver OP36. How big are your wrists and can we have a wrist shot please?
    Sure, it’s a lovely piece and a firm favourite my wrists are 7 inch.

Last edited by woodacre1983; 22nd May 2022 at 21:19.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Putting aside the personal stories behind each, I think I could whittle this group down to three (or two + funds for a third).

But with the personal stories it's a bit more difficult! Watches that definitely wouldn't stay for me would suddenly be unsellable. That makes it tough.
    would be interested in your 3!

SOTC of sorts.

Wrist shot again

Many thanks :-)

Ah OK, so if the sentimental watches get a free pass then I would keep the Oyster for obvious reasons and keep the Seamaster as your GADA watch. Sell everything else and enjoy spending your money and finding a Chronograph that will appeal to you as much as the Rolex and the Omega clearly do. It is a win, win, win. You get to keep two great watches that you already love, you get the pleasure of researching and buying an amazing Chronograph, and you get the joy of spending money on your family.

Pat yourself on the back and enjoy!
    Last edited by ant8519; 22nd May 2022 at 22:32.

Quote Originally Posted by ant8519 View Post
    Ah OK, so if the sentimental watches get a free pass then I would keep the Oyster for obvious reasons and keep the Seamaster as your GADA watch. Sell everything else and enjoy spending your money and finding a Chronograph that will appeal to you as much as the Rolex and the Omega clearly do. It is a win, win, win. You get to keep two great watches that you already love, you get the pleasure of researching and buying an amazing Chronograph, and you get the joy of spending money on your family.

Pat yourself on the back and enjoy!
    Yeah that’s certainly one option I’d look at. Would be very interesting as to what I could get with that budget, I’m sure I would enjoy the chase and the chance to look at more.

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    would be interested in your 3!

Sub, Speedmaster and OP would be the 3 picks, sentimental reasons aside.