closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help needed for PRS-82 ROYAL NAVY DIVER repairer

Help needed for PRS-82 ROYAL NAVY DIVER repairer

Hi everyone
    I wonder if anyone can recommend a repairers in the UK??

I’ve had my Royal Navy Diver since 2014 and have been delighted with it.
    Last month the winder broke unfortunately. I have tried locally to find someone to repair it but to no avail. I’ve even tried Antwerp.

Next week I am in in the UK and could either drop it off or post it.

Many thanks, Dave

Master
    Which movement does it have? There’s no issues with parts for the ETA 2824 movement, however I understand it’s difficult to source parts for the earlier ETA 2783 models.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Which movement does it have? There’s no issues with parts for the ETA 2824 movement, however I understand it’s difficult to source parts for the earlier ETA 2783 models.
    It is indeed an earlier model. ETA2783

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    If it's the crown that's gone faulty it'll make no difference, as far as I know there are no exact replacement crowns available. A generic screw-down crown may work, if not the pendant tube would have to be swapped too and that is a tricky job.

If the stem has snapped it may be possible to salvage the crown, stems for the 2783 aren`t available new but a second hand one plus a stem extender might do the job, I may have one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    If it's the crown that's gone faulty it'll make no difference, as far as I know there are no exact replacement crowns available. A generic screw-down crown may work, if not the pendant tube would have to be swapped too and that is a tricky job.

If the stem has snapped it may be possible to salvage the crown, stems for the 2783 aren`t available new but a second hand one plus a stem extender might do the job, I may have one myself.
    Thanks for the answer, wow I really wish I understood half of what you have written. 😉

And advice on how to get it looked at / fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Ok, I just grabbed the watch, the crown still adjust the hands, it feels like it’s not winding but strangely (well for me) I just noticed it ran backwards for about 5 sec then correctly then stopped… Just goes to show being an Engineer is of no use when it comes to watches!

Could it be a broken main spring?
    If the hands are adjusting when you move the crown but it’s not winding by hand or by the rotor, I would guess this is the problem
    I have had this happen to me on a vintage watch before (it is an old movement)
    Replacing the spring should be an easy job for any repairer I would have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Could it be a broken main spring?
    If the hands are adjusting when you move the crown but it’s not winding by hand or by the rotor, I would guess this is the problem
    I have had this happen to me on a vintage watch before (it is an old movement)
    Replacing the spring should be an easy job for any repairer I would have thought.
    Thanks, sounds like a possibility..

Now to find a repairer..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blog Entries
    ETA 2783 mainsprings and barrels are still available on eBay. It might be worth acquiring one, even if it turns out you don't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    ETA 2783 mainsprings and barrels are still available on eBay. It might be worth acquiring one, even if it turns out you don't need it.
    Good idea, a little bit of future proofing is never a bad idea. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jonesymobile View Post
    Good idea, a little bit of future proofing is never a bad idea. Thanks
    Research the movement and buy "now" all the parts that are likely to be needed later on, when they are going to be harder to find and more pricey.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Help needed for PRS-82 ROYAL NAVY DIVER repairer

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Research the movement and buy "now" all the parts that are likely to be needed later on, when they are going to be harder to find and more pricey.
    Good advice and I’ve started looking, but I’m still struggling to find someone to repair it…

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
    Last edited by jonesymobile; 22nd May 2022 at 17:29.

Try Brendan Hoey in Torquay (Webwatchmaker). He serviced mine last year, superb job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk