closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tried and failed

Craftsman

Tried and failed

I have had an old Omega Stopwatch in my draw for a few years. Unfortunately the start stop button hasn't worked since the purchase and I have always thought about taking it apart to see if I could fix it.
    Well yesterday I finally plucked up the courage give it a go (what's the worst that could happen).
    It started so well after eventually getting the case back off. I decided to take pictures as I went along as a reference to myself when re assembling it. Unfortunately after the attached photo was taken I tried to remove the small tension spring thing when I blinked and it vanished apparently into thin air. My wife, both my daughters and I have searched for quite frankly too long for the object to which I have decided to put it down to a lesson learnt.
    Is there anyone on the forum who could point me in the direction of where I could purchase another or at the very least tell me the name of the part so I can do some googling please?
    I am genuinely gutted as I have waited so long to give it a go and I failed.
    Any help very much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Master
    Just an idea mate. Place a stocking over the end of your vacuum attachment and vacuum your carpet / floor in the area where you think the spring may have gone.

It may turn up.

No help at all however these are known as "Jesus" springs. As in Jesus where did that go. I have lost quite a few in the past. The stocking trick does work.
    Hope you find it soon as you will be guaranteed to find it if you source a new one.

Grand Master
    Get yourself a magnet and systematically go over the area. These things don`t go far, usually no more than a couple of feet. Also check your clothing. The vacuum cleaner trick is another I use when non-magnetic parts have been lost.

There are 2 ways to avoid this, either place the watch in a plastic bag when removing, or stick a piece of Rodico to it to prevent it flying off. I use the Rodico trick but I'm still v. careful, time spent searching for a lost spring is time wasted.

Searching for lost parts is a skill in itself, good lighting plus the tricks I`ve mentioned will help.

Craftsman
    Take it to someone who can work on it. The click spring if not available can be easily made.

First thing, don’t disassemble until the movement is out of the case.
    Second that hairspring is only visible on one side of the cock, so probably messed up. This is not an easy fix for diy’ers

Journeyman
    My finding wins have come from, using a torch very low down as a raking light, waiting till is dark ish and then using the torch and looking for the shiney, as a last resort I have emptied the vacuum, used it on the room, then sifted the fresh collection with a magnet.

Also have found a screw stuck to the front of my clothes and once in my slipper. Wherever you think you saw it go....... its not there 🤣

Tried and failed

Unless the area has been sealed could now be transported elsewhere around house on clothes etc as above.

I recently lost the smallest ever ever screw ... eventually 'attracted it' to a powerful magnet taped onto a stick and waved around under my bureau
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Craftsman
    I appreciate the feedback. When I get off shift tomorrow the hoover and stockings are coming out (get your mind out the gutter ;-) ), if that doesn't work a fishing magnet will be on order. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Fishing magnet likely an overkill ... small neodymium should suffice ... taped to a plastic rod
    https://www.first4magnets.com/rectan..._2598|ps_1_843

... but don't wear a watch when in use or when handling / storing ... unless you have a demagnetiser
    Last edited by sundial; 21st May 2022 at 22:24.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by me32dc View Post
    Second that hairspring is only visible on one side of the cock, so probably messed up. This is not an easy fix for diy’ers
    Yes, I spotted that too. This watch needs to go to someone who knows how to sort it out properly.......I`m not volunteering, I stick to the easy jobs thesedays.