closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRS-52 vs Voyager GMT PRS-21

Master

PRS-52 vs Voyager GMT PRS-21

My search skills are not what they could be.
    I’ve not been one for the Dreadnought range until recently and now I’m seriously contemplating one, but do I go for the baby PRS-52 or the Voyager GMT PRS-21? I’d happily have both, the good lady on the other hand would not be at all happy, so it’s not going to happen.
    Has anyone done a side by side comparison? Or got any views or experience with both versions?

I've owned both, but not at the same time. I loved my GMT, but I always found the crown dug into the back of my wrist. The watch had a reassuring heft that matched its utilitarian looks. As much as I loved it, I moved the watch on as I found it just a tad too large.

When the baby DN was announced I just had to have it. It was every bit as well made as the GMT and felt just a premium, however the smaller size made it much more wearable.

Now, I have sold the baby DN. It was ultimately usurped by the Everest Jubilee which I bought as a lovely birth year watch for my son. Were it not for trying to keep to a max 3 watch collection, the baby would have definitely stayed.

Given the choice now, I'd pick the baby DN.

The Voyager is a hefty watch, so beware of that. The bracelet came off mine as soon as it arrived, far too heavy for my taste. However on leather or Nato it's perfectly wearable for me on a smidge over 7" wrist. Mine is worn on a variety of Haveston straps, both canvas and nylon, just the right thickness and size of buckle to work well with the watch. That said, I've come very close to getting one of the smaller Speedbird GMTs with the quartz movement, a nice discrete watch for travelling IMHO.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Thanks folks, size and weight not too much or an issue as I'm a big lad and 8.5 inch wrist.
    The baby DN is a more wallet friendly purchase as well.
    Need to mull it over a bit more.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    Thanks folks, size and weight not too much or an issue as I'm a big lad and 8.5 inch wrist.
    With that size wrist you should get the big one.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk
    Why not put out a wtb for the gmt? Will save you a few quid and will be very easy to move on if it doesn’t suit you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With an 8.5" wrist get the full sized one.

I've had a DN Voyager since they were first released and, although it took me a while to actually wear it, once I did I really took to it (albeit on a NATO).

It's not a watch I wear a lot, but with a far smaller wrist than you I don't find it an overly big watch (I have fairly catholic tastes in that respect though, happily wearing 34mm - 45mm watches, even a Helson PloProf homage) and it's my go-to watch for overseas diving holidays.

It's the only watch I've owned that a stranger has remarked (and positively) upon.

Used they are a ridiculous bargain, IMO.

More than once I've considered buying a second and getting it polished!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Used they are a ridiculous bargain, IMO.
    Agreed about that for the Voyager!

But as for wrists, mine is often around 8.5" (it varies) and I have both a Voyager and Polar Dreadnought. Both look fine on my wrist I think. The 'Baby' Dreadnought is certainly not too small.

At 41mm inc crown with those big crown guards the 'Baby' is not really a small watch. It should look fine on a larger wrist (in my opinion).

I don't necessarily disagree with your point about size, I've never tried a Baby DN, but it's not a tiny watch.

For me, it would just be the Voyager is the better watch, better WR, GMT, better movement.

Everyone has a different viewpoint though.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    For me, it would just be the Voyager is the better watch, better WR, GMT, better movement.
    I agree from this perspective.

Each watch seems to me to bring different qualities.

I guess I have ended up with both for a reason. :-)