closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A couple of vintage Omegas

A couple of vintage Omegas

Hi
    I have been given a couple of Omega watches and I would love to start learning about them, however I have no idea the age or model of them.

Im not sure if the photos are enough to give me a period or model type to start me off?

Many thanks for your help

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

Master
    Blog Entries
    Omega forums might be worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis9 View Post
    If you are lucky they will have the 30t2 movements inside them. They look the right period.

I think they do! Why lucky may I ask.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis9 View Post
    The 30t2 is a quality movement. Very robust.

It was used by Omega for it's broad arrow issue military watches, one of which is included in what's called 'The dirty dozen' with a large following.

Therefore the 30t2 is quite sought after for parts/replacement into the military issued watch or even used to fake them.
    Many thanks

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesymobile View Post

I think they do! Why lucky may I ask.

Because it's a bloody good movement that is all benefits and few faults. Get it serviced and expect modern levels of accuracy, even if the lack of shock protection means you want ot be careful not to drop it! They made literally millions of them between the late thirties and the early sixties. The replacement was a bloody good movement, but not as robust or accurate. The replacement to that was worse and it's arguable that no handwind movement made by Omega before or since is quite as good.

Here's a bit more opinion:

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/w...alibre.324663/

scroll down a bit.
    Last edited by M4tt; 29th May 2022 at 18:24.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Because it's a bloody good movement that is all benefits and few faults. Get it serviced and expect modern levels of accuracy, even if the lack of shock protection means you want ot be careful not to drop it! They made literally millions of them between the late thirties and the early sixties. The replacement was a bloody good movement, but not as robust or accurate. The replacement to that was worse and it's arguable that no handwind movement made by Omega before or since is quite as good.
    Cheers

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Cheers
    My pleasure - look on the caseback to find out precisely what it is.

A couple of vintage Omegas

Cheers
    Thanks an interesting read and I guess the fact both watches are not only working but are keeping good time is testament to the quality of the movement. Both watches have not been used in 20 years and I don’t imagine serviced in 40 years..
    Last edited by jonesymobile; 30th May 2022 at 07:54.

The gold one is 9ct and looks to be 1947.

Check out the 7 or 8 digit movement numbers (assuming original movements) and you can date them approximately from any of the Omega dating charts online.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

Check out the 7 or 8 digit movement numbers (assuming original movements) and you can date them approximately from any of the Omega dating charts online.
    Thanks will look them up

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

The Stainless Steel cased watch 1943 and the Gold 1944

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    The gold one has a case made in Handsworth, Birmingham with an imported Swiss movement. That was perfectly normal practice for solid gold watches sold in the UK in the middle of the 20th century. The date letter strictly speaking suggests hallmarking sometime between July 1947 and June 1948 since many UK assay offices perversely changed date letter in the middle of the year not the end like they do now (it changed when they standardised in 1974). The 13322 is a regularly seen Dennison cased model, that one has a dial that is nicer than most.

The steel model is all Swiss but the dial isn't as nice IMO.

Both seem to use 30T2 movements. Both are post war since the earlier ones are silver in colour not Beryllium-copper coated.

- - - Updated - - -

The Stainless Steel cased watch 1943 and the Gold 1944

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Not so. But I see you are cagey about showing the serial numbers so I suppose your incorrect guess will have to do ;-)
    Last edited by Padders; 30th May 2022 at 20:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    The gold one has a case made in Handsworth, Birmingham with an imported Swiss movement. That was perfectly normal practice for solid gold watches sold in the UK in the middle of the 20th century. The date letter strictly speaking suggests hallmarking sometime between July 1947 and June 1948 since many UK assay offices perversely changed date letter in the middle of the year not the end like they do now (it changed when they standardised in 1974). The 13322 is a regularly seen Dennison cased model, that one has a dial that is nicer than most.

The steel model is all Swiss but the dial isn't as nice IMO.

Both seem to use 30T2 movements. Both are post war since the earlier ones are silver in colour not Beryllium-copper coated.

- - - Updated - - -

Not so. But I see you are cagey about showing the serial numbers so I suppose your incorrect guess will have to do ;-)
    Thanks for the information, very interesting, Im certainly not cagey about serial number as I wish to learn, I put the numbers into an Omega database on line and got those years, I had also seen the hallmark was 1947 but guessed the movement has sat in stock during the war maybe?? Interesting

Master
    Thanks for the information, very interesting, Im certainly not cagey about serial number as I wish to learn, I put the numbers into an Omega database on line and got those years, I had also seen the hallmark was 1947 but guessed the movement has sat in stock during the war maybe?? Interesting

Fair enough lol. Different lists give different results. I have had a few 1940s Omegas including 3 different 13322 Dennison cased ones, I would personally put the 9.97m steel watch at circa 1944 and the movement from the 9K gold one at 1946 (and case a bit later for the reasons you state). The '44 must have been one of the first to be copper plated.
    Last edited by Padders; 30th May 2022 at 22:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Fair enough lol. Different lists give different results. I have had a few 1940s Omegas including 3 different 13322 Dennison cased ones, I would personally put the 9.97m steel watch at circa 1944 and the movement from the 9K gold one at 1946 (and case a bit later for the reasons you state). The '44 must have been one of the first to be copper plated.
    Thanks, I will research further.