closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Beach/pool holiday inspiration, please!

Beach/pool holiday inspiration, please!

GF and I are looking to get away for a week mid August and would like to book something absolutely ASAP, our priorities/ideals are -

- on, or a short walk to, a beach plus a pool within the resort.
    - within a 4h or so flight from any of the "London" airports, any destination would be OK with us (Caneries, Balearics, anywhere around the Med etc)
    - within, or a short walk to, the local town which must have something along the lines of waterside bars, restaurants.
    - nowhere too touristy and definitely not somewhere where the cafés are of the "full English" variety with adjacent Sky sports bars, if you know what I mean.
    - somewhere with a bit of history/old town feel
    - no more than half board as we'd probably be out as much as we can
    - doesn't have to be a hotel though we would appreciate the amenities
    - Around the £3k area for flights plus hotel/accommodation

I know these threads pop up from time to time so apologies for yet another!

Cheers - CS
    Last edited by CardShark; 19th May 2022 at 17:01. Reason: Spelling...

Croatia?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Similar discussions in our family ( wife & 2 teenage daughters ) resulted in booking a 10 day stay in Barcelona

+ hotel with (small) pool
    + beach nearby ( 10 min )
    + City break interests within walking distance

…so we’re planning a mix & match break with history / culture days & beach/pool days.

z

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Croatia?
    Definitely a possibility - thank you - though was looking for specific resort and hotel recommendations, have seen one or two places out there of interest though. Stunning coastline, by the looks of things.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Similar discussions in our family ( wife & 2 teenage daughters ) resulted in booking a 10 day stay in Barcelona

+ hotel with (small) pool
    + beach nearby ( 10 min )
    + City break interests within walking distance

…so we’re planning a mix & match break with history / culture days & beach/pool days.

z
    Sounds like my ideal end of the spectrum that, I'm yet to visit Barcelona! Probably too 'city' for the GF though and seeing as the break is primarily for her given the last year or two she's had she'll have the majority steer on the matter. Would certainly consider it as a weekend break some other time, though.

Master
    Sani Resort in Halkidiki is fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Kos Town or just outside, Lagos on the Algarve,

Some of the Greek Islands are lovely if you stay away from the main spots

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Definitely a possibility - thank you - though was looking for specific resort and hotel recommendations, have seen one or two places out there of interest though. Stunning coastline, by the looks of things.
    It is a stunning country. I do not know it well enough to give recommendations (knowledge is too old) but the destination meets a lot of your criteria; Then a lot of it is down to personal preferences so you may want to look what's on offer; plus we have a few members here whose knowledge may be more current.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Some of the Greek Islands are lovely if you stay away from the main spots
    Yep the Ionian side is lovely Kefalonia is a favourite especially away from the tourist busy south of the island, the middle / north is lovely
    Especially around Agia Effimia and Sami, Luxouri is also not very touristy.
    Beaches are small coves that you tend to have to yourself, they are stone though.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 19th May 2022 at 18:57.

Master
    Another vote for Kos. That's where we've ended up booking... something called the Blue Lagoon village

Blog Entries
    Croatia. We have at least one member here who's from Croatia; I'm sure he can tell you more!

Master
    Specifics: Villa Azzurra, Bol, Croatia.

Fly into Split, ferry to the island of Brac. Kick back and relax. And if you want a resort there are a few in Bol.

Thanks for the replies, looks like we've a week in Parga booked. Already looking forward to it, this would be the first decent break either of us have had for a few years.

Craftsman
    Dubrovnik gets my vote but stay in Lapad as it’s near to some really good beaches. £3 Uber to the old town which on a night is great but quite chilled in comparison to the old town (in the day).

Doubt you’ll find a full English there.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies, looks like we've a week in Parga booked. Already looking forward to it, this would be the first decent break either of us have had for a few years.
    Ionian Sea…. Mainland Greece…. Should be nice ! I stayed in Lefkada a little further south…. Eat grilled fish and relax

I’ll throw you a wave from Zakinthos.…. Have fun!

Maybe a little left field, but just prior to the pandemic the wife and I had a summer holiday in one of our favourite ski resorts in Austria, Zell am See. If the beach could be on a lake instead of the sea it could be an option, likewise Lake Garda in Italy. We really enjoyed taking the cable car up into the mountains, beautiful scenery, nice walks, swimming in the glacial lakes, rented a sailing boat, did some SUP boarding, enjoyed the town and nearby towns. It was a great holiday and a break from the normal beach holiday. Good luck OP.

Blog Entries
    Parga! Been there. Around 15 yrs ago. Nice town. We were there at the beginning of the vacation season (May). Not all was open, back then. And we had some heavy rainfall. That's the moment you realise that our NW European city councils' water mangement serves a purpose...

You're scr***d when your apartment is on a hill (like ours...). It's steeeeeep!. We walked from the apartment to the beach and back. No use taking the car to the beach. Back then, there were hardly no parking spots. The boys were 3 and 5. My classic secondary education was very useful during our trips from the beach back up: I've told them all about the Greek gods etc. And that was even stronger when we made a few trips to temple ruins! That way they got distracted and didn't complain when we had to walk up the road to the apartment.

I guess you'll fly to Prevesa and rent a car there(?). It's about 60 - 70 km to Parga. Let's say an hour. Lots of hills and partly along the coastline with stunning views. Back then, the road was quite good.

During our time in Parga, a lot of real estate was bought by Italians (house ads where in Greece and Italian). I have no idea how it is today, but back then, the Italian influence had a positive effect on the restaurants!

Enjoy your stay.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Parga!

Enjoy your stay.
    Thanks! We're staying at a beach hotel just outside so no steep slopes for us, not for the accommodation anyway. The town itself doesn't appear to be 'Brits abroad' even if it isn't the sleepiest of places and we're both foodies so if the restaurants are decent that's good news. Transfers are included with the hotel though we may hire a car for a couple of days, we'll see.

@ Wolfie - cheers!

@ yumma - I've been to Zell am See, all be it just for a day as part of a week's holiday in Austria many years back - beautiful country.