timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: WoS Trading Statement - "Super High Demand Brands"

WoS Trading Statement - "Super High Demand Brands"

Watches of Switzerland Group PLC
    Q4 FY22 Trading

for the 13 weeks (Q4) and 52 weeks (FY) to 1 May 2022
    Stellar end to FY22 with strong momentum into FY23
    Revenue growth of 48% 1 in Q4, 40% 1 for the full year with improved profitability

Watches of Switzerland Group PLC (“the Group”) today provides the following unaudited update relating to
    the 13 and 52 weeks ending 1 May 2022.

Brian Duffy, Chief Executive Officer, said:
    “We are pleased to report a strong quarter of 48% 1 growth to finish what was an outstanding year for the Group.
    We have delivered another record year of revenue and profitability as we continue to progress our Long Range
    Plan. Our teams have again excelled and done great work.”

“We delivered an outstanding performance in both the US and UK, supported by broad-based sales growth
    across our portfolio of world leading partner brands and driven by domestic clientele. We were also delighted
    to announce our forthcoming entry into the European market, which will provide our Group with further growth
    opportunities and geographic diversification.”

“The luxury watch and jewellery markets are dynamic and our Group investment-led model continues to gain
    positive momentum. Consumer desire for “Super High Demand” brands (Rolex, Patek Philippe and Audemars
    Piguet) continues to exceed supply and other luxury watch brands are enjoying exceptionally strong demand
    and sales.
    Luxury jewellery demand is also very positive.”

“Looking ahead, our FY23 guidance reflects our confidence in our markets and business model. We enter
    FY23 with visibility of product supply for Super High Demand brands for the remainder of the 2022 calendar
    year and an exciting programme of new products and marketing from other brands. We have a strong pipeline
    of showroom projects, and we expect an ongoing recovery in footfall and airport traffic. Our focus will be on
    continuing to capitalise on the momentum we have built to deliver value for all our stakeholders.”

[My underlining / italics]

It seems WoS have a new term encompassing a slightly different selection of brands to 'Holy Trinity'.

Consumer desire for “Super High Demand” brands (Rolex, Patek Philippe and Audemars
    Piguet) continues to exceed supply

Should read....Consumer desire for “Super High Demand” brands isn't being met due to Rolex, Patek Philippe and Audemars
    Piguet restricting supply to artificially increase demand, fuelling a price-surge on the grey market resulting in those 'only' able to afford RRP being unable to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Consumer desire for “Super High Demand” brands (Rolex, Patek Philippe and Audemars

Should read....Consumer desire for “Super High Demand” brands isn't being met due to Rolex, Patek Philippe and Audemars
    Piguet restricting supply to artificially increase demand, fuelling a price-surge on the grey market resulting in those 'only' able to afford RRP being unable to purchase.
    Meh!

Master
    I would expect there to be a risk statement of some sort for investors referring to inflation, disposable income and how they would mitigate exposure. All seems very upbeat. I assume HNW not as exposed but equally Id expect some comment.

Master
    Probably CEO speak for what I said on another thread. Sales growth driven by brands of which there are no meaningful additional supplies. That severely limits prospects for sales and profits growth - and that’s before you factor in the impact of inflation and the economy going into freefall.
    Last edited by David_D; 19th May 2022 at 18:02.

Journeyman
    Interesting the FT among others think the luxury segment is in for a tough time. Wonder if the immediate share price drop reflects that forward looking analysis or it simply as per just about every other share price at the moment :)

Blog Entries
    We enter
    FY23 with visibility of product supply for Super High Demand brands for the remainder of the 2022 calendar
    year
    expecting more then?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    expecting more then?
    Right.

'Visibility of product supply' in context could easily be taken by the casual reader to imply that supply is known to be increasing, whereas all it actually says is that they have a good idea of how much product they'll be receiving for the rest of the year. It would be true even if the SHDBs had told them there'd be no increase from current deliveries.

This is a press release on a trading statement so expect positive spin wherever possible!
    Last edited by TF23; 19th May 2022 at 22:27.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by omegasteve View Post
    Interesting the FT among others think the luxury segment is in for a tough time. Wonder if the immediate share price drop reflects that forward looking analysis or it simply as per just about every other share price at the moment :)
    WoS share price is 40% off its peak at the beginning of January. The FTSE100 is about level despite big swings this year.

I’m wrong more often than right but I would have thought that economic reality will hit luxury goods sales. Also, notwithstanding their Rolex and other “premium” watch brands, do they not also rely on the Ratners end of the market which will definitely suffer.
    Last edited by David_D; 20th May 2022 at 11:44.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I’m wrong more often than right but I would have thought that economic reality will hit luxury goods sales. Also, notwithstanding their Rolex and other “premium” watch brands, do they not also rely on the Ratners end of the market which will definitely suffer.
    I was predicting this during the 2007/2008 crash yet this was when luxury goods skyrocketed. Maybe the Far East was a driver at that point and maybe there are different dynamics now.

Master
    Shares off nearly 2% today against a 1% increase in the FTSE100 (and slightly less in the FTSE250).

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I was predicting this during the 2007/2008 crash yet this was when luxury goods skyrocketed. Maybe the Far East was a driver at that point and maybe there are different dynamics now.
    Your average Patek (eg) buyer has already made his wad and is unlikely to be forced to economise by a recession. In fact, with inflation let loose, why not buy a desired watch or other luxury item now before the price goes up? (If he can get one, of course.)

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post

Nonsense. There is no artificial restriction in place. At least with either Patek or Rolex - they both increased production in recent years, with the exception of closure during COVID.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    im not so sure about that. I very much did see prices fall on Rolex and Patek in the grey and trade, bids from dealers was very low or non existent (i was selling a few pieces at the time). likewise if you wanted to buy a porsche or performance BMW you could pick your bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    im not so sure about that. I very much did see prices fall on Rolex and Patek in the grey and trade, bids from dealers was very low or non existent (i was selling a few pieces at the time). likewise if you wanted to buy a porsche or performance BMW you could pick your bargain.
    One difference is, of course, that in 08/09 inflation was low and falling whereas now it is high and rising.

Another difference is that this time we are entering a recession (if we do) with long waiting lists already evident for many of these luxury items.