closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedmaster - change dial and hands or not?

Craftsman

Speedmaster - change dial and hands or not?

Hello everyone,
    I have a few Speedmasters, 105.012 (that came from this very forum a long time ago), Snoopy (the original) and a 3570 that I bought new in 2009. A few years ago I had the intention of changing the dial/hands on the 3570 - bought the hands, but never the dial.

Anyway, long story short, now have chance to buy a new panda dial and was wondering if anyone had done this and either, enjoyed the change, or regretted it? Did it matter that it was no longer original? Or did you feel like you were wearing a homage to the actual model the dial was designed for?

Cheers,
    Greg

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thats a good question Greg.

Like yourself ive had many a Speedy over the years and enjoyed all of them both vintage and modern, apart from the pre moon models all the classic moonwatches look pretty much the same.

Whilst looking for something a little different I decided to swap my standard speedy with a dial and handset from a 357040 (Japanese domestic market racing dial)

5ACF1172-B7FA-4425-AA5F-D3669F2A8C8E by Ben, on Flickr

I dont feel its a homage as its all genuine Omega parts, but it is what it is. A pimped up speedy.

A speedy 357040 would be very expensive and this comes in at about half the price.

Plenty on here have done the same, some with panda dials, reverse panda dials and personally think its a good mod to do and assuming you retain the original parts the watch can be returned to normal if and when you decide.

Genuine dial and hands for these mods are getting expensive now but should you not be happy with the result moving them on should not be to much of an issue.
    Last edited by ben4watches; 18th May 2022 at 10:11.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Craftsman
    Cheers Ben - ordered the dial anyway - I figure if I don't like it I'll always be able to shift it. Yours looks fantastic. Love the orange.

I would do it, it can always be changed back, love the Panda look, and using genuine parts in my mind means no foul.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Excellent, I doubt you will regret it.

What dial have you gone for?

Quote Originally Posted by gregbuc View Post
    Cheers Ben - ordered the dial anyway - I figure if I don't like it I'll always be able to shift it. Yours looks fantastic. Love the orange.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

I have a Snoopy dial and had intended to swap it in, stupidly I forgot and sold the Speedy!

Surely it's a 30 minute job, wouldn't cost you much to undo, if you're not doing it yourself, that is.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Excellent, I doubt you will regret it.

What dial have you gone for?
    Went for the Apollo 35th panda dial. Always wanted the watch but they go for ridiculous money now. Would have gone for a Mitsukoshi if one had turned up either.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    I have a Snoopy dial and had intended to swap it in, stupidly I forgot and sold the Speedy!

Surely it's a 30 minute job, wouldn't cost you much to undo, if you're not doing it yourself, that is.
    Wouldn't dream of doing it myself. I've had a look and I think I could try it, but not willing to risk something like that when I don't know what I'm doing!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post

Swapping a dial on a chronograph may be a 30 minute job if all goes well and you know what you’re doing, but getting the hands to zero correctly can take a couple of goes, or more!

Not my favourite job, the centre seconds hand can be a v. tight fit and there’s a risk of it getting damaged, There’s a reason why manufacturers service centres often fit new handsets when a watch is serviced.

New hands don’t always fit and sometimes need very careful broaching to get them to go on, all too easy to take off too much and find they’re too loose- fitting and then need tightening again...........so much for a 30 minute job!

I’ve got a 145.022 and had always wanted a Snoopy, so got the dial and switched it out during service. Obviously kept the old dial and hands, and it surprised me that after a few months I wanted the ‘old girl’ back. Ended up sending it into my local watchmaker (luckily I lived near Nesbits in Seattle) who were happy to switch it back for a reasonable price.
    Like anything, it’s a simple job for a pro with the right tools - I’ll try my hands at most things, but not this!

I swapped the dial of my 3570.50 for a brown dial when I had it serviced back in 2015. When I get it serviced again in the next couple of years I'll likely swap in a new Mitsukoshi dial and handset I have had for several years and never used. No regrets at all, it is a reversible modification and I still have the original parts to restore it to stock should I desire to do so. I have a 3572.50 with the original black dial that looks just like a 3570.50 from a few feet away so I am not missing the vibe of the original configuration.