closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ceramic car coat.

Craftsman

Ceramic car coat.

Lots of fastidious petrol heads on here so thought id ask. Im thinking of protecting my car with a ceramic polish.
    A friend has a garage and does this process.
    I've had previous cars done with diamond Bright. Is it the same thing under a different name?
    Has anyone done it?
    Is it worth the money?
    TiA.

Sent from my SM-A725F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ceramic is the current upgrade from SiO2 coatings. What is it that you want it to do?

Most people who get a professionally applied coating do so because the finish lasts longer and say it keeps the car cleaner for longer and washes much more easily - some just swear they only have to jet wash to clean the car.

You can apply it yourself, but you need to know how to prepare the surface and keep the car away from water for 24 hours - some products may cure faster.

The pro detailer products cost double or more but need to be applied in a fastidious manner. The main cost is labour (and experience)

Lots of people just settle for spray on products and refresh regularly.

I stick to my favourite wax because it provides exactly what I want in terms of ease of use and finish.

Ceramic finishes are harder on the Mohs scale

So, it all comes back to what are you trying to achieve and how?

Imo the main function of a top dressing is protection from UV (the knickers) but users then have additional requirements…be it ease of maintenance/use/look (the fur coat)

What are yours? A trustworthy professional will establish your requirements before recommending a final finish - bearing in mind that the majority of the cost is in the preparation.
    Last edited by Suds; 19th May 2022 at 16:37.

If you plan to keep the car for awhile I would, I wish I did my car a few years back but at this stage it isn't worth doing.

Just research which products they use, if you can do your own "top ups" and how long it should last. I would not try do it yourself.

I have it, point a hose at it and the dirt falls off, it’s also very shiny, with paint correction it was £1200

Blog Entries
    I considered having it done on a new car but then decided against it. At £500-1000 I decided I could live without it.

Opted for Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax every month or so instead.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I did my Golf GTi TCR last year. I used Carpro CQUK coat with their Gliss topper. It is very easy to apply but for the best result you need to correct any defects in the paint first, scratches, swirls, bird dropping burns etc. I spent maybe 10 hours 2 stage machine polishing the car then wiping it down with Carpro eraser before applying 3 coats of the ceramic and 2 coats of the topper.
    It has given me an amazing finish. It’s not overly expensive. I spent about £70 on the 2 products but then I have various machine polishers, polish etc.
    if you are prepared to put the effort in it does really add something to the depth and quality of the paint.

Absolutely no doubt that i would get it on a new or nearly new car in good condition. Madness not to. Who wants to spend their weekends waxing a car when you could be spending time with the people you love or doing something you enjoy?

Craftsman
    My pal has asked that he keeps the car for 2 or 3 days and has said any minor paint repairs are included. I did think he was being a shade over zealous. Seems this is the correct course of action.
    Thank you for the good experiences and as always, fonts of knowledge.

Sent from my SM-A725F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had my new X3 coated last year. It’s a fantastic product which keeps dirt etc from sticking to the car. The beading is brilliant and should last three years. It does make the car so easy to clean, I spray foam, leave for ten minutes rinse go over the car lightly with shampoo and mitt, rinse again then dry off with micro fibre cloth which is easy as most of the water as gone. The car always seems to look clean and of course no waxing.

As a nayseyer, it might be good but its no way worth the cost. Have you tried using high end sealents such as Zaino Z-2 Pro Show Car Sealant

I have a nearly new car and coated it with a home spray ceramic coating, The Last Coat. Application was quick and easy and the shine and feel were remarkable. I'll never have a "professional" application again.

You can also keep it very clean with a good hybrid spray, I coat mine every 2-3 months, takes no time at all to do, just spray and wipe. It gives a very nice finish and is easy to clean, you can just use a power washer. Ceramic would be better though, depends how much you like washing your car. I enjoy it, so I dont mind reapplying every few months. I do once a year spend a day on it, doing a full paint correction including a DA polish.

Craftsman
    It all depends I think on the car and how long you plan to keep it (and how fastidious you are). I had a full PPF and ceramic coat applied to the Yaris GR and it was £3k. I’m not sure if it’s justifiable on one hand but i really liked the result.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had IGL ceramic put on my golf last year and it’s lasted brilliantly so far but is garaged. It was £500 for a mild correction as little to do, the ceramic and also a dedicated ceramic wheel and calliper treatment.

I would do again if I had a car in great condition, but if your car has chips, dents and scratches all it does is lock them in.