closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Duinrell advice

Master

Duinrell advice

I am due to visit Duinrell with 3 kids, 10, 9 and 7, along with their mammy, shortly. I would welcome any advice about either the resort or the general area, things to see/do/avoid, etc. TIA. Rob

I went a few years back. Don’t go when it’s windy! We were there in a terrible storm and it was pretty frightening with branches falling off around us. I have a rubbish memory generally, but I remember the pool complex being pretty good, we took bikes and it was a pleasure riding around - the beach was only 15 minutes or so away.

The little town outside the resort was great for an evening wander and a beer. I think there was a traditional
    Crepe/waffle restaurant just outside the resort which the kids loved.

We drove to The Hague for a bit of culture… you know how much children love an art museum!

We came hone with a Dutch bike, you know 25kg with a big wicker basket on the front and pedal back brakes. Didn’t need another bike but couldn’t help but get swept up in it all.

You’ll have a great time.

It was a while ago around 1995, when myself and MrsR stayed at the campsite for a week with a tent & motorbike.
    If you stay on site, entry to the funfair is free, with discount for the water park.
    Try the tobogan run if it is still there - don''t use the brakes and you can have hours of fun.

As above - explore the local area to find the hidden gems
    There was a butchers / deli shop on the outskirts heading into town which had an "Hallo Hallo" type cafe restaurant for a nice meal and a few beers. Go where the locals are and you know the food will be good.
    There was also a small bar which did a nice hot chocolate & brandy in the woods outside Duinrell main entrance, in the park opposite the Pancake House.
    Den Haag to the south was a good day out in the big city.
    And there are seaside towns to the north with promenades and beach facilities.
    Note: the beach onsite was a long walk from the park over the dunes, and it was "natural" (with no facilities, but nice for a picnic if you want peace & quiet)

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Blog Entries
    Daddelvirks lives close to The Hague, so I'm sure he knows more spots, but here we go.

Duinrell is okay for the kids. Not our (Dutch) finest amusement park but it will do nicely.
    The Hague is the town loaded with expats. You'll hear English around you all day long.

The Hague has a lot to offer:
    • Scheveningen Beach. You can go there by tram. Several lines stop just behind the dunes. The northside (Zwarte Pad) is the quietest part, with lots of beach bars; children are allowed.
    • Various cinemas there; films here are always in the original language + subtitles.
    • Eating in Scheveningen: go to Simonis. A chain of seafood restaurants. Pick 'Simonis aan de haven' (Simonis at the harbour) for the best experience; Visafslagweg. A short stroll to the south from the tram stop.
    • Going to Scheveningen by car: the Parking at the Zwolsestraat has the best options. Be prepared for long traffic jams when you want to park. Hence, the 'go by tram' advice.
    • Eating in The Hague: go to a Indonesian restaurant; this list mentions the 11 best restaurants in The Hague. You don't need to read Dutch, only follow the names of the restaurants https://www.elle.com/nl/eten/elle-et...oko-indo-eten/ Call before you go for a reservation.
    • Go to the Escher Museum in the center of The Hague. Kids love it!
    • The Omniversum in the Hague is also great for kids. (Between The Hague and Scheveningen)
    • Go to the Mauritshuis for the real Girl with the Pearl Earring painting!!!
    • Shops? Well expats have a lot to spend, so exclusive shops are all around. One big one you should visit: De Bijenkorf (the Bee hive). Worth a visit for clothing etc.
    • Since you're no longer the EU; it's worth trying to buy taxfree (less 21% VAT).
    • The Louwman Automobile Collection in Wassenaar is breathtaking!

I used to work at a school across Duinrell (now demolished) and my oldest lived in The Hague for a year when he was a member of the Dutch Olympic Sailing Squad (youth branch). So I was a 'regular' there.
    Last edited by thieuster; 17th May 2022 at 11:45.

Master
    Thanks for all the pointers this far. I'm happy there is more to the area than an amusement park.
    Rob

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Stayed a few times, town next door is good for restaurants and the supermarket especially the ice cream parlour and the Chinese a few doors up.
    Delft and Leiden are good days out and the auto museum is amazing.
    Pool access times used to be better, it seems more restricted now.
    Always booked direct and went for the best lodge.

Sent from my Nokia 2.3 using Tapatalk

We have been 3 times, my advice

Go Swimming in the morning, aim to get to the water dome around 10mins before they open. You only get a couple of hours and that will be the quietest time of the day

Don’t eat on site, it’s too expensive and the food is very poor

The town is only 5-10 mins walk away and has some great restaurants and an amazing Ice cream parlour. Our favourites are
    1) Da Alfio, good family food, very reasonable and run by a couple of great fun waiters
    2) Grand Cafe Leon - Good Burger & rib etc
    2) Da Alto - another Italian
    3) there is a Greek restaurant ( sorry can’t remember the name, but good food)
    4) bagel Alley - Good for lunches

My only one to avoid would be
    La Scala- terrible service, long waits ( we got forgotten once) and very poor food) we gave them the benefit of the doubt, but they were poor a second time

There is an excellent Supermarket in the town ( Jumbo) huge selection and a lot cheaper than the Duinrell store

Hope this helps, if you want any more advice, just ask

John

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Would agree on la scala, good years ago when we first went but really downhill the last time we were there in 2018, unfortunately it's the first restaurant you come to in the town just after the church so gets a lot of passing trade.

Sent from my Nokia 2.3 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    We go to Duinrell every year. Obviously haven't gone for the last couple of years, but we were booked. So have one in the bank and are going in July.
    However, October half term is the best time to go. There are no queues for anything as it's mainly just a few British there. The main queue is for inflatables for the water slides. In Oct, there is just a big pile of them so you grab one and go :)

We usually go in our Motorhome, but sold it a little while ago. Thinking we were done with this type of holiday as the kids are 17 and 15 now. However the kids really wanted to go back, so we recently purchased a caravan.
    We don't live too far from Harwich, so it's quite an easy trip for us. It best to go on the night boat. You get on board, have some dinner, go to sleep and wake up in Holland.

Are you camping or in one of their lodges?

It's great as its a safe (contained) place to let your kids just go on the rides when ever they want. Assuming they are of a sensible age.
    As mentioned, early sessions in the pool are best. The outside pool is freezing no matter the weather!

Take bikes if you can (or hire some), there are some lovely rides down to the beach. Cycle lanes all the way.
    Stop at Pannenkoekenhuis on your way back for an amazing pancake.

It isn't too bad for a Bus and Train to get in to Amsterdam. We took the kids to Amsterdam Dungeon and Madame tussauds. Made for a great day out. We all enjoyed double decker trains too.