closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What have you missed from SC?

Craftsman

What have you missed from SC?

Started this as I was really miffed to miss out on a recent Omega Railmaster. Well done buyer, perfect timing. I then thought it's not the first time I've missed something on SC. Go to the bread shop, make a cup of tea, pick up the wife, go to work, on the loo, not check for a couple of days, out for a walk etc. I've missed a few.
    Have you missed something?

Yep, it's been a while ago but I missed a Tutima at a good price as well, that makes it even harder to swallow.

I've been more fortunate than unfortunate with SC timing so can't complain.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

That lovely blue dial oysterquartz that was up about a month ago. That was quite something.

If only the Fundraiser could reply to this.

Master
    Haha. Excellent!

There was a new glycine airman someone got from eBay very cheap and passed the saving on when they sold it. Went for an absolute song and missed it by 10 mins.

Grand Master
    Grey Dial Proplof
    RIAC

A few minutes late on the Pelagos Marine Nationale. Currently an 18 month wait from my local AD.

Too many to mention. Mind you there have been times I’ve been glad to miss out too. Will never forget that Polar Explorer II I got pipped to by another member. Poor chap had it confiscated by Rolex and then got shafted by the seller when trying to get his refund. I’m firmly in the “if it’s meant to be” camp now!

I've missed out on a few...the annoying one's are the sales I could have bought but dithered because I'd done no research and then lost out.

Last one I kicked myself about was the Zenith Captain Moonphase.

Oh, and Ryan's SL1210 turntables! Still kick myself for not seeing that one sooner!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Too many to mention. Mind you there have been times I’ve been glad to miss out too. Will never forget that Polar Explorer II I got pipped to by another member. Poor chap had it confiscated by Rolex and then got shafted by the seller when trying to get his refund. I’m firmly in the “if it’s meant to be” camp now!
    Don't remember that one! Was it stolen or a frankenwatch?

The VC fifty six blue dial that was on SC awhile back. Not sure it's really a miss as I didn't actually try to go for it at that point, but it's one that's been on my mind ever since...

Master
    Blog Entries
    - The once-unloved White Explorer II at £2500 just before everyone else realised how great they actually were
    - A GO Panomatic Lunar in silver/white, lost the fastest finger contest.

There was a lovely spring drive Seiko and a Glycine Eugene Meylan which both appeared back on SC within a few days at substantially higher prices.

Craftsman
    The moser a few years ago.

Annoyed me as the buyer flipped it to watchfinder in the same week.

There was also a VC dress watch that had an independent restoration. Still have a WTB for this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Omegas. Lots of them.
    They always seemed to pop up at the wrong time, then I pay a fortune elsewhere because its in my head I have to own one.
    Many years ago there were two mkII Speedmasters for no money - one was running but rough, the other wasn't going. Both worthwhile projects and I think they were £650 for the pair. Like I say, quite a while ago but that one definitely sticks in my mind.

The other one I regret was my own anyway - an 18ct Rolex Oysterquartz day/date. Boxed too! About as rare as it gets, Christ I dread to think what that would bring now but it'd buy me a new car.

A couple of CWC’s recently, that came into my possession in the end!
    Missed a few that I’ve kicked myself over only to think afterwards I may have only wanted it because it was for sale, if that makes sense. I found the WTB approach works more for me. Now and again though, something pops up and I think I must resist, and there is a sigh of relief when it sells.
    I recall someone answering a thread where the OP said he was addicted to buying watches, what should he do. One reply was to stay away from watch forum sales sections. I laughed at the time. Now I see.

Someone was selling a hulk at a (now VERY sensible) price. I literally refreshed sales corner and there it was- I pmd within about 10 seconds with "yes, please, I'll take it" and someone had somehow got in ahead of me!! Amazing reflexes!

Won't pay what they go for now, so it's unlikely I'll ever buy one again. But I am glad I at least had the chance to own one in the past :)

Recently, a lovely Seiko 6105 Turtle. It went to a good home though and I was trying to be sensible at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Don't remember that one! Was it stolen or a frankenwatch?

Stolen. Quite a read and apologies to the buyer if providing the links opens old wounds.

Was this watch here . I’d dithered when reading the “shipping is risk and cost of buyer”, deleted my PM and then said I would take it if we could agree on the postage issues. Another buyer stepped forward in the intervening few minutes and I missed out.

Watch arrived but buyer takes the watch to Rolex St. James. Story from both sides here and here.

Stolen. Quite a read and apologies to the buyer if providing the links opens old wounds.

Was this watch here . I’d dithered when reading the “shipping is risk and cost of buyer”, deleted my PM and then said I would take it if we could agree on the postage issues. Another buyer stepped forward in the intervening few minutes and I missed out.

Watch arrived but buyer takes the watch to Rolex St. James. Story from both sides here and here.
    How strange, the seller or the stolen watch was last active 14 hours ago but his last post was Nov 2020. What's he logging in to do?

Yes, I do remember that one now. A nightmare situation. If I have read all of it properly, seems like the buyer only got a partial refund in the end and suprisingly, the seller continued to be active on this forum.

Prior to the likes of Watchfinder's dominance and amateur eBay dealers, watches used to stay on the forum a lot longer...you'd have watches that passed through many members ownership. Often thought it would be a nightmare if one ended up being found out to be franken or stolen. Don't see that being such a risk now as watches tend to be hoovered and sold for profit elsewhere!

Personally, these days I tend to stick to buying new or at very least full sets. I just don't think the saving is worth the risk any more.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    Someone was selling a hulk at a (now VERY sensible) price. I literally refreshed sales corner and there it was- I pmd within about 10 seconds with "yes, please, I'll take it" and someone had somehow got in ahead of me!! Amazing reflexes!

Won't pay what they go for now, so it's unlikely I'll ever buy one again. But I am glad I at least had the chance to own one in the past :)
    Pm sent

Agree, Christian. I was actually going to add the very same point from a different angle on my initial reply. It was common to miss out on a watch several times, but they would usually find their way back on the forum weeks or months down the line. My disappointment was usually tempered knowing I would probably get another opportunity to own it at some point. No longer the case as you rightly suggest.

The Rolex episode certainly altered my approach to buying higher end watches. I’d happily forgo a bargain in favour of dealing with established members with stellar reputations even if that meant paying a higher price. Not worth the stress especially if you flipped watches with regularity like I did in the early years of my time here. I would probably have bought and sold that watch within a few months, completely ignorant to its history. Who knows how many owners it could have had after JTrapman before issue came to light had the sales path been different?

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Yes, I do remember that one now. A nightmare situation. If I have read all of it properly, seems like the buyer only got a partial refund in the end and suprisingly, the seller continued to be active on this forum.

Prior to the likes of Watchfinder's dominance and amateur eBay dealers, watches used to stay on the forum a lot longer...you'd have watches that passed through many members ownership. Often thought it would be a nightmare if one ended up being found out to be franken or stolen. Don't see that being such a risk now as watches tend to be hoovered and sold for profit elsewhere!

Personally, these days I tend to stick to buying new or at very least full sets. I just don't think the saving is worth the risk any more.
    I would say - a recent documented service at RSC on a watch from a forum member is more important than the original warranty card/papers. Everything else is pretty generic.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    How strange, the seller or the stolen watch was last active 14 hours ago but his last post was Nov 2020. What's he logging in to do?

Incredibly, in Nov 2020, he was posting a WTB for a Panerai with money at the ready! Yet (as far as I'm aware) he didn't refund trisdg the money he'd stated he would repay him for the stolen watch. In the meantime someone else concluded a deal with him here for another watch, despite his reputation. This place never ceases to surprise me.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Incredibly, in Nov 2020, he was posting a WTB for a Panerai with money at the ready! Yet (as far as I'm aware) he didn't refund trisdg the money he'd stated he would repay him for the stolen watch. In the meantime someone else concluded a deal with him here for another watch, despite his reputation. This place never ceases to surprise me.
    Agree - a third party even posted a villain thread. I'd certainly have read that and not gone anywhere near the seller.

Blackal - good point about recent service documentation being more useful than a warranty card.

I've missed the same Omega Cosmic 2000 twice. If whoever has it now is bored with it, please pm me!

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Recently, a lovely Seiko 6105 Turtle. It went to a good home though and I was trying to be sensible at the time.
    It’s still there

Although my lack of sensible is starting to bite me where it hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    It’s still there

Although my lack of sensible is starting to bite me where it hurts.
    Who needs to eat? Save the money for important things like watches and straps.

I was very tempted to the Heuer Bund on SC a couple of weeks ago.

Not knowing anything about them, though, I dithered and it went.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Missed a couple of tactical man bags from SC. You snooze, you lose.

Master
    I have missed everything as I am STILL banned from sc.

Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    I have missed everything as I am STILL banned from sc.
    All because of your own behaviour. Stop blaming others.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    At least one 14060m full set at about £3k and numerous 16570 at around £2.5k.

Best not to think about it.

Not a pricey item but an Aquastar Regate for a few hundred quid early on in my forum journey. Now at a price I would put towards something else first but always continued to want one.

In 2008 DeusIrae listed a 1019 Milgauss and it was a beauty. It was initially listed for £24,000, I think, and I still think about it. Sadly, the OP has removed the post and the pics.

I missed a 16600 sea dweller around a year after they'd been discontinued. All stickers in place. I really wanted the watch and was so sad to find I was the second to PM.

Thankfully I found a NOS watch at a rolex agent around 2 years later which turned out to be my first Rolex. I still have it and love wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    I missed a 16600 sea dweller around a year after they'd been discontinued. All stickers in place. I really wanted the watch and was so sad to find I was the second to PM.

Thankfully I found a NOS watch at a rolex agent around 2 years later which turned out to be my first Rolex. I still have it and love wearing it.
    Dom Hackett has a NOS one now for £16k. Bet you didn’t pay half that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Dom Hackett has a NOS one now for £16k. Bet you didn’t pay half that.
    I sold a NOS, full stickered Z serial last year for 12.5, market is crazy!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I was very tempted to the Heuer Bund on SC a couple of weeks ago.

Not knowing anything about them, though, I dithered and it went.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    There’s one still up there, the rarer 3H, dropped you a pm with links to a couple of helpful websites with loads of useful info on them.

Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    I sold a NOS, full stickered Z serial last year for 12.5, market is crazy!

I paid £4000 Vs a list price of £4150

I think my watch must be one of the last to be sold by an AD anywhere in the world

Craftsman
    I’m a newbie here, so what’s SC?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by YCymro View Post
    Cheers
    Snapchat

Cheers
    Satan’s Cupboard

Master
    What is the userid of the forum member that sold a watch that was retained by Rolex and he didn’t provide a full and immediate refund ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    What is the userid of the forum member that sold a watch that was retained by Rolex and he didn’t provide a full and immediate refund ?

See post 20. Member RLE even provides links.

Master
    Missed a few 116600s that have come through. I thought they would come down in price, how wrong was I!! In hindsight should have just bitten the bullet ….

A few years ago I missed a Fuji camera that was snapped up by the forum camera flipper, I expect it ended up on eBay.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Cheers
    Second Clothes