closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Krakow

Krakow

Visiting Krakow this week. Anyone got any tips, things to see, need for cash etc?

TIA

We first went in 2004 on the eve of them joining the EU, at the time we picked up a paper copy of this

https://www.inyourpocket.com/krakow - it was everything we needed, we've been many times since and it's still the best guide.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Went earlier this year, enjoyed the salt mines and a guided tour in one of the electric golf buggy things (went into the Jewish district etc). Then there's Auschwitz of course. Money wise we needed it for the golf buggy tour but used Halifax clarity card for pretty much everything else.

Get the Schindler tour guide and see the area where some was filmed and end at his factory.
    Loved the place.

Master
    http://wodkabar.pl/

worth a visit to have a sample tray if you like a drink and can get in

As suggested by others - a walking tour & Schindlers factory is good, the saltmines are interesting (had lunch there) and Auschwitz is really moving and very recommended although I would go at the end of the trip if you can.

We also ate at Trattoria La Campana which was excellent - outdoors seating was lovely and the food really good & Szara which was also great.

Master
    Been multiple times since 2012 and last there just a few weeks ago. Buy Zloty there as exchange rates are much better. Got 5.445 to the quid on my last trip. Best exchange rates are to be had in the big shopping centre by the train station (Krakow Glowny). Get a train direct from the airport to the city centre in 20 minutes or so. You can buy tickets on the train, cash or bank card.

Good Italian restaurant called Cyklops just off the Market Square and Hamsa (Middle Eastern) in Kazimierz. Avoid the English and Irish bars around the Market Square. As for the must see sights, Auschwitz is near enough a full day. It’s as grim as you would expect. If you don’t feel up to it, try the Galicia Jewish Museum in Kazimierz instead. It’s one of my favourites and I’m a repeat visitor. The salt mines take up half-a-day and the tour is good fun. A walk around the Planty on a sunny day is always a pleasure. Galleries and museums are closed on a Sunday, apart from the one I mentioned.

I would highly recommend Salta Resto for great food, steak etc.

It’s been said already, but when we went the highlights were Auschwitz (sad but an incredible glimpse into very important history) and the salt mines which are pretty spectacular. The whole vibe of central Krakow and the square is really nice too.

Another recommendation for the Salt Mines...shouldn't be missed.

"Old Town Restaurant and Wine Bar" was a great little restaurant.

For really cheap but hearty food I enjoyed "Kuchnia U Babci Maliny" which is an inexpensive milk bar type restaurant. There is also a "Restauracja U Babci Maliny" which is a very quirky restaurant with loads of creepy dolls and odd decor. Weird setting which puts some people off but great pierogi!