closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Random musings on quartz divers

Random musings on quartz divers

Well the sun is out, the Mrs is out and I have cut the grass, weeded the green roof (who’s daft idea were these) it’s too early for a beer, so I though I would dig a few watches out for a play (I have been wearing my standard holiday watch for 2 weeks whilst away and I need to make up for lost time)

My most recent arrival was a EZM2 HYDRO which arrived last month and to be honest it’s been difficult to get it off my wrist since it’s arrival, I love it. It’s small, thin, light and has cool hydro tech being oil filled so has a bit of the cool factor to it.

The EZM2 was used by the German Police and Military dive units for years and a these were sold on to the civilian market a few years ago, sadly this is not one of them. However they were identical bar the stores number on the back.

So I though it would compare them with a couple of other quartz divers I own. The CWC SBS (a civi version from 08) and an issued Precista from 89.

Whilst the EZM2 is a smallish watch (for me) it is bigger than the other 2 which came as a surprise.
    The lug to lug is near identical to the SBS but the dial and bezel on the SBS are much smaller, black watches tend to wear smaller but for some reason the SBS feels bigger on the wrist.

Being worn on a NATO makes the SBS a bit more top heavy but it’s not uncomfortable, the bracelet of the EZM2 balances the watch out meaning it sits on the wrist a bit better.

The 89 is much smaller than the other 2 watches, noticeably so. They are all similar thickness.

Legibility on all is excellent as you would expect. I would think the SBS would have the edge if all lume types were the same (either tritium or luminova) the hands and plots are proportionally larger and the 12 marker is most distinct.

The 89 would be the least legible I would have though as all the plots are the same with very little visual distinction. The hands occupy bigger proportion of the dial though.

Both the British watches are 300m rated with the German being 5000m; the former will be easier to maintain being possible to change the battery myself. That said the German battery will last 6/7 years to the British 2/3 so it’s not too much of a pain.

Anyhoo I am very happy with my new watch, it will get a lot of wear in the future and I think it sits quite nicely in my collection

I hope my random ramblings were vaguely interesting

Thanks for having the patience to read through it
    John

Master
    Cheers! 3 very cool watches.

Hope you are having a Beer now 👍🏻

Master
    Great post. Does this mean you are officially a Sinn lover again.

Random musings on quartz divers

Very enjoyable read. The Sinn has such a unique look, and it wears really well on your wrist. What I love most about it, is how only another watch enthusiast would recognise it. It has that subtle cool factor that I find far more appealing than most of the big/famous brands.
    Last edited by TheGent; 15th May 2022 at 08:16.

I do like EZM2 HYDRO's oil-filled feature as the visibility is excellent from every angle, a great benefit IMO.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Great post. Does this mean you are officially a Sinn lover again.
    Always have been! Can’t see it changing any time soon.

Thank you all for giving my ramblings the time of day.

Master
    Great post. Glad you’re enjoying the EZM2. I love the handset on that particular model. As simple as could be but no other set would work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Great post. Glad you’re enjoying the EZM2. I love the handset on that particular model. As simple as could be but no other set would work as well.
    I agree.
    It a a shame Sinn went for the U case and arrow hands on the 2b I love the thing.
    Thanks for selling it to me!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I agree.
    It a a shame Sinn went for the U case and arrow hands on the 2b I love the thing.
    Thanks for selling it to me!
    You were a pleasure to deal with. That was my third one too. Personally I think they look better on a Nato or Haveston strap.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    .........It has that subtle cool factor that I find far more appealing than most of the big/famous brands.
    Absolutely. And I would say the same about the Sinn brand in general.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

An enjoyable post, and likely to be seen by 100x fewer people for being in this quieter sub forum. I had a CWC quartz diver, not quite sure why I got rid of it, maybe I was in bracelet phase? I think the Sinn would likely win my affections these days. But they all look great.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    An enjoyable post, and likely to be seen by 100x fewer people for being in this quieter sub forum. I had a CWC quartz diver, not quite sure why I got rid of it, maybe I was in bracelet phase? I think the Sinn would likely win my affections these days. But they all look great.
    Thank you
    Likely to be seen by 100x fewer people because Rolex was not in the title…

Craftsman
    Great comparison and nice write up. I really like this part of the forum and enjoy the posts so keep ‘em coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    It might be seen by fewer but appreciated by more. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    It might be seen by fewer but appreciated by more. ;-)
    My thoughts exactly.

Great post, thank you.
    I had my EZM2 for a relatively short time, i love the case design, but the round-ended hands, and their relatively poor lume made it difficult to really bond with. I have read plenty of other posts since reckoning that the EZM2 lume is fine, so maybe mine was a poor batch. How do you find yours?

It’s not Pelagos or Tuna bright but it has the best lume of any Sinn I own. I will try to throw up a comparison shot when I get home from work this evening.

Three cracking watches there, and each one perfectly emphasises the beautiful simplicity of a quartz watch. The amount of times I've been late and running around, grabbed the watch box and always been relieved to see the SBS or the RN Diver ticking away.

The latest addition of the EZM2 makes me envious. I love them, as you know, and any other time would have jumped at the recent one on SC. I believe Sinn still use the Hydro tech on the current line up so I can't understand why it doesn't re-release this one.

I was surprised that it's smaller than the CWC. When I wear a CWC and I know I'm wearing it, but the EZM just blended into my wrist, if that makes sense, and felt unobstrusive. I loved wearing it swimming and being able to read the time at any angle underwater. The oil tech really is brilliant.

Just a final question, what time is beer time on a sunny Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    It’s not Pelagos or Tuna bright but it has the best lume of any Sinn I own. I will try to throw up a comparison shot when I get home from work this evening.
    Interesting, I would class my EZM1 as Pelagos bright, certainly brighter than anything else Sinn I have owned (EZM2, 657, U200).
    No need for a comparison, unless you want to.
    D

A quick and dirty lume shot against an U1
    To my eyes the EZM2 is brighter