closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 2022 all sailing races

2022 all sailing races

There are several of us with an interest in sailing and following the various races, both ocean and ones like the SailGP competition. Over the past few years these have cropped up in threads for things like the America's Cup. This year I thought we could try a single thread to cover them all, and only have parallel threads for a major competitions like the America's Cup...and there is already a thread for the next one of those.

To start the ball rolling...the first weekend's racing for season 3 of SailGP is this weekend in Bermuda.

Blog Entries
    I'll follow this with a lot of attention. Thanks for the heads-up.

I follow the prep for the new Ocean Race (Volvo is no longer sponsor) with interest. Dutch boat 'Childhood 1' has a crew list with names on it of young men and women I know: they were one 'generation' ahead of my son in the Optimist and Laser.
    Last edited by thieuster; 13th May 2022 at 20:43.

SailGP will have two more boats this season...once Japan get their new boat. That should be for event 4. Tthere was too much building work to supply everyone in time as there was so many many repairs needed after the last season. So, 9 and then 10 boats on the same sized race course and 11 events overall.

Not sure which I enjoyed most, SailGP Race 1 in Plymouth (see YouTube) or the final lap of World Superbikes Race 1 in Most, CZ...mind you the earlier laps also had some exciting racing: link.
    Last edited by PickleB; 30th July 2022 at 15:02.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Not sure which I enjoyed most, SailGP Race 1 in Plymouth (see YouTube) or the final lap of World Superbikes Race 1 in Most, CZ...mind you the earlier laps also had some exciting racing: link.
    I tried to watch the Superbikes, but your link defeats me, it just sends me round and round in a subscription circle. Bloody digital disaster area!

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    I tried to watch the Superbikes, but your link defeats me, it just sends me round and round in a subscription circle. Bloody digital disaster area!
    For me it shows as a free video. I am logged in on their site, but don't have a paid subscription.

SailGP is about to kick off in Saint-Tropez:

Edit: Bags of wind...an new record for boat speed...and that's just the first race.
    Last edited by PickleB; 10th September 2022 at 14:07.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Amazing tale of survival.

Grand Master
    We visited the Alicante museum on the port last week.
    Was asked if we will be back for the race in January.....we wont be.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    We visited the Alicante museum on the port last week.
    Was asked if we will be back for the race in January.....we wont be.
    The pandemic delayed the 2021-2022 Ocean Race to become the 2022–2023 and it has just got underway (after another delay) from Alicante...link...so I don't think we need a new thread as yet.

This also saw round 8 of SailGP season 3 in Singapore. Again there was a lack of wind on day 1, but more on day 2. There are still three more events to be held before they start season 4.

This is getting confusing. Emirates Team New Zealand has been around in the America's Cup for a good few years. Now there is also Emirates Great Britain in SailGP...see link.

SailGP round 9 is this weekend in Sydney NSW, Australia.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This is getting confusing. Emirates Team New Zealand has been around in the America's Cup for a good few years. Now there is also Emirates Great Britain in SailGP...see link.

SailGP round 9 is this weekend in Sydney NSW, Australia.
    SailGP is not the AC. I guess they want a foot in both events.

I see Rolex has signed up with SailGP. I can see SailGP being a better watch than the AC going forwards.

Link:

After racing today at the KPMG Australia Sail Grand Prix in Sydney, a major weather event occurred that has resulted in significant damage to the wing sails and at least one boat at the SailGP technical site.

As far as we know, no one was seriously injured during the incident. As a result of the damage, SailGP has had to cancel racing for the second day of the Sydney event.

A full assessment of the damage is underway but it is likely some of the future SailGP events may also need to be delayed

Last edited by PickleB; 18th February 2023 at 13:21.

Last edited by PickleB; 18th February 2023 at 16:55.

Season 3 of SailGP wraps up tonight in San Fransicco: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHRFEBh81ok

Yesterday's racing was a worth a watch, especially with Emirates GBR doing well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvbPNYqAIIA

The question is can they keep it up and make the Grand Final?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Final was disappointing. SBA still can’t seem to realise the importance of pace pre start. He still thinks he’s in a Finn.