closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PSA - 1983 ROYAL NAVY DIVERS QUARTZ REISSUE - Back in stock

PSA - 1983 ROYAL NAVY DIVERS QUARTZ REISSUE - Back in stock

For anyone interested, I’ve had a email today: https://www.cwcwatch.com/products/19...y-divers-watch

Apprentice
    Looks lovely - but crazy price over the standard offering.

Agreed. The specific features to make it more like the original take it to another level, but the price jump is a bit ambitious.
    Last edited by TheGent; 14th May 2022 at 15:01.

Master
    A few changes. The version I have from a few years back has a sapphire crystal, but this new batch has mineral glass. Closer to the original, but I prefer sapphire. The new batch have a Ronda rather than an ETA movement. I couldn't find details on which Ronda but it may not have the redundant day/date function.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    A few changes. The version I have from a few years back has a sapphire crystal, but this new batch has mineral glass. Closer to the original, but I prefer sapphire. The new batch have a Ronda rather than an ETA movement. I couldn't find details on which Ronda but it may not have the redundant day/date function.
    Hard to justify the price increase if the components are not as good,
    Mineral to sapphire, ETA to Ronda have not been done for authenticity sakes have they?
    I love a CWC but it’s proving hard to buy a new one at the moment.

I hadn’t spotted those subtle changes.

I wonder if the movement changes are due to ETA supply issues.

I find mineral is less reflective than sapphire, and maybe it is closer to the original, but there’s no denying which is the superior material.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Agreed. With the exception of a GS with tritium dial, which was a custom order, I think used is the always the way to go with CWC

Master
    Mineral to sapphire, ETA to Ronda have not been done for authenticity sakes have they?
    Almost certainly true. The only think they have that is tempting is the custom automatic diver https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections...ver-auto-diver

I like the dial and handset, but not enough to pay that money.

^that's a bit odd, weren't these £1999.00 before? That would make a change a decrease rather than their usual increases.

I agree with this tbh. The GS Sapphire range about the only exception as they have never seen a single price increase over the years which is really odd compared to all the other increases across the ranges.

The auto was near 2k
    The quartz were 700 from memory

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    ^that's a bit odd, weren't these £1999.00 before? That would make a change a decrease rather than their usual increases.

I agree with this tbh. The GS Sapphire range about the only exception as they have never seen a single price increase over the years which is really odd compared to all the other increases across the ranges.
    Looks like there are two different reissue divers.

This one, the RN300:

https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections...ver-auto-diver

Priced at £1650

And the initial 1980 reissue:

https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections...iver-automatic

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Looks like there are two different reissue divers.

This one, the RN300:

https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections...ver-auto-diver

Priced at £1650

And the initial 1980 reissue:

https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections...iver-automatic

An yes got confused for a minute there(not uncommon).

Master

It was £899 previously so price has stayed the same but features changed.

https://web.archive.org/web/20201111....cwcwatch.com/

Craftsman
    See they have not made the SBS Reissue available again, lucky enough to have one of the first ones sold, pricey compared to the standard for the small changes to the spec but still one of my favourite watches.

Possibly they have had to change movement because of the protective nature the Swatch Group are becoming over their products, also they have stopped producing a number of their 80's/90's era movements.
    Last edited by Ed875; 27th May 2022 at 20:07.

It was £899 previously so price has stayed the same but features changed.

https://web.archive.org/web/20201111....cwcwatch.com/
    That doesn't work, the link to view the spec is broken. This one has it:

https://web.archive.org/web/20200805...y-divers-watch

A bit sneaky of them downgrading it like that and keeping the same name. Very easy to miss for anyone already familiar with the specs.

The downgrade to Ronda may have been inevitable due to the restricted supply from ETA. The downgrade from sapphire to mineral is significant. For a flat crystal, sapphire is better than mineral in every possible way except cost.

I don't buy "like the original" as an excuse. Then again, I didn't buy mine because of the original, I just bought it because I prefer the aesthetics to the standard versions. I really like the upgraded bezel, and I prefer the lume colour to the default green (although it's a shame it still glows green). I've always felt it was overpriced, but equally comforted by the fact that barring an HAQ movement or being oil-filled, it's about as good a quartz tool watch as you can get. I don't think you can say that about this version.

G

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Has anyone purchased one of these and if so what are your thoughts? On the CWC site the hands look like a different colour to the dial markings - is it really obvious in real life?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Eddiex; 6th September 2022 at 06:55.

Master
    I have teh previous version from 2019. There is a difference in lume colour. I would say it is noticeable, but not in every day use.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    Has anyone purchased one of these and if so what are your thoughts? On the CWC site the hands look like a different colour to the dial markings - is it really obvious in real life?

I recall from somewhere that the tiny difference was thought to better reflect reality; where hands and faces discoloured at different rates.

I have teh previous version from 2019. There is a difference in lume colour. I would say it is noticeable, but not in every day use.
    I was just looking at mine and in the current light, it looks identical on the hands and dial. I'd forgotten there's a slight difference. I actually emailed them to ask about it in 2019. I was told it's the same lume, but it looks different on the hands because the application is a bit thinner, so the colour of the hands shows through slightly.

I completely stopped noticing it ages ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Brauner Hund View Post
    I recall from somewhere that the tiny difference was thought to better reflect reality; where hands and faces discoloured at different rates.
    See above - they didn't say anything like that, it's just because the hands can only hold a certain amount of lume whereas it can be much thicker on the dial. Personally, I'd find that story unsatisfying anyway, as I'm not a big fan of the faux-aged thing. I do however, like the colour. A lot more than the default greenish tint. I'd prefer if it didn't glow green, but we can't have everything I suppose.
    Last edited by robt; 6th September 2022 at 19:59. Reason: Add 2nd reply

Craftsman
    Thanks for the replies. Through a bit of luck and timing I will find out soon enough for myself as I have one arriving imminently