closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 32 of 32

Thread: Holiday Spending

  1. #1
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Leeds, England
    Posts
    218

    Holiday Spending

    A question for the well travelled members. The past few years we have spent family holidays camping around France but as a special treat for my wife who has just had a significant birthday we are off to Canada. We have various stops planned including Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Whistler, Toronto and a quick stop in Niagara.

    Its been years since we have gone on a long haul holiday (pre kids), so just wondering what's the best way to take spending Money. Currently looking at a mixture of cash, a credit card that doesn't charge for use abroad and perhaps some kind of prepaid travel card? Trying to avoid any unnecessary charges by using bank cards or travelling with too much cash.

    Any tips or recommendations would be gratefully received. Many Thanks

  2. #2
    Master stoneyloon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sunny Stoney by the Sea!
    Posts
    3,393
    I always take a wee bit of cash but do the majority of my spending on my Halifax Clarity credit card.
    It's worked for me from Western Canada to SE Asia .

    Cheers,

    Adam.

  3. #3
    Master jukeboxs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,114
    Worth a read:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cr...-credit-cards/
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tr...-travel-money/

    For cards, Halifax Clarity credit card (I've had this for 10+ years) or Chase debit card (comes with cash back too).

    Enjoy your trip - Canada's a wonderful country.

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    2,807
    Always a bit of cash and the rest on card, unless going well off the beaten track then I take a little extra cash.

  5. #5
    Revolut.
    ask if any of your friends have one as thereís a £50 referral.
    so easy to use, and you can have multiple currencies/spending and transaction limits etc. you can even transfer across at particular times of day for a better rate. (rates are competitive too)
    they do not work on aircraft for buying food/booze for some reason.

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    5,614
    Another Halifax Clarity fan here. Makes life easy.

  7. #7
    Used to be a big Caxton fan. Now I just use Halifax Clarity and take a bit of cash out at a cash machine in the airport on arrival for bits and bobs.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  8. #8
    Starling bank cards also donít have any foreign charges.

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    In the south
    Posts
    1,891
    Halifax Clarity which weíve used for years plus Monzo and Starling which both have charge free cash withdrawals abroad and good exchange rates. When using them abroad if given the choice, always pay in the local currency.

  10. #10
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    40,287
    Bit of local currency, Monzo card - pay in local currency not GBP.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  11. #11
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Leeds, England
    Posts
    218
    Thanks, looks like Clarity and some cash may be the way forward for us. I will look into some of the other cards people have mentioned, ideally a tap n go and only able to spend what's on the card without being charged for each transaction, perhaps loading up with Canadian dollars beforehand ?

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Lake District
    Posts
    2,279
    Another here for a bit of cash and the Halifax clarity card 👍

  13. #13
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    6,157
    I started reading the OP, and eyes skipped ahead a bit......................

    I thought you were going to NIGERIA !!!!!

  14. #14
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mid Wales
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Starling bank cards also donít have any foreign charges.
    Another vote for Starling.
    We have used it extensively in Thailand with a really good xchange rate.
    Regards
    V


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Master Thewatchbloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Oxfordshire UK
    Posts
    6,899
    I donít even bother with cash, I just take the clarity card. On my last three trips abroad I havenít needed any cash, everywhere seems to be tap and pay.

  16. #16
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Leeds, England
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I started reading the OP, and eyes skipped ahead a bit......................

    I thought you were going to NIGERIA !!!!!
    I hear its nice at this time of year😄.

  17. #17
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Lancashire, UK
    Posts
    211
    Hey, want to join me at Chase UK? We'll both get £20 when you join and pay in £20. Get started: https://link.go.chase/emNK/refer?code=sVJSFLQY. T&Cs apply.


    Annoyingly I recommended this to lots of friends and family before the referral offer but now we both get free money if you get one.

    With the current account you get 1% cashback on all debit card spending and itís fee free for use abroad.

    You donít need to do a full switch with direct debits etc so I just transfer money from my main account and spend from it.

    Also you get a 1.5% savings account which is as good as it gets for easy access savings.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubled_Joe View Post
    Hey, want to join me at Chase UK? We'll both get £20 when you join and pay in £20. Get started: https://link.go.chase/emNK/refer?code=sVJSFLQY. T&Cs apply.


    Annoyingly I recommended this to lots of friends and family before the referral offer but now we both get free money if you get one.

    With the current account you get 1% cashback on all debit card spending and itís fee free for use abroad.

    You donít need to do a full switch with direct debits etc so I just transfer money from my main account and spend from it.

    Also you get a 1.5% savings account which is as good as it gets for easy access savings.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks mate!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Lancashire, UK
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    Thanks mate!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No worries. Someone has already signed up so thanks if it was you.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    15,165
    Nationwide FlexPlus is another option - costs £13 a month but benefits include worldwide travel insurance for all the family and fee free withdrawals overseas.
    Inform - Educate - Entertain

  21. #21
    I would also recommend looking at the Wise card.

    You can load up any number of different currencies via bank transfer, debit card, Apple Pay via the app. It is super quick and easy.

    They will give you a physical card as well as a digital one and you can tap and go or use pin and chip.

    It logs what you have spent and allows you to swap or move currencies on the fly. Rates are very competitive but there is a small fee depending on how you transfer money. Debit card is best and using pennies rather than pounds.

    It also works on planes for food and drink!

    This link will help you sign up but not sure if there is any direct benefit to you. Apparently if 3 people sign up Iíll get a bonus for total transparency!

    https://wise.com/invite/i/paulw377

  22. #22
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    876
    I'm away at the moment and it's the first time since COVID hit and a chance to use my Revolut card and its great.
    Using it for meals with no charge, changed GBP to Euro at a great rate.
    Either pay for things with the card or draw Euros out of the cash machine again no charge.
    Always used to take loads of cash on holiday with me then change whilst away for a better rate but never again after my experience using Revolut.


    Sent from my M2012K11AG using TZ-UK mobile app

  23. #23
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    18,627

    Holiday Spending

    Think I would be a little cautious how much money i had in the Ukraine/Russian bank that is Recolut

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Think I would be a little cautious how much money i had in the Ukraine/Russian bank that is Recolut
    Well itís not a russian bank.
    that and the fact you donít have any significant amount of money in the bank as you just have whatever you want to spend for the day.

    perhaps you should read this before jumping to conclusions https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnhya...cross-ukraine/

  25. #25
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    18,627

    Holiday Spending

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Well itís not a russian bank.
    that and the fact you donít have any significant amount of money in the bank as you just have whatever you want to spend for the day.

    perhaps you should read this before jumping to conclusions https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnhya...cross-ukraine/

    Is it not owned by a Russian and Ukraine team?

    And also I do keep a significant amount of money in a bank, thats what they are for!

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Is it not owned by a Russian and Ukraine team?

    And also I do keep a significant amount of money in a bank, thats what they are for!
    Itís based and registered in the UK. The whole point of a Revolut card is you can travel and pay in local currency and just top up for the day from your app. You donít have thousands sat there in a bank (UK, Russian or Ukrainian) itís not meant to replace your current account.

    I have about Ä4 on my Revolut card left over from a pre covid trip, when I finally get to Japan Iíll stick £200 of • on and convert the euroís before I leave and top up from there.

    I donít think you realise what these cards are for, spending multiple currencies when travelling, getting cash out in local currencies, not paying high rates or fees and be able to not risk losing large amounts of money should they be stolen.

  27. #27
    Master stoneyloon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sunny Stoney by the Sea!
    Posts
    3,393
    I'm currently in Barcelona and thought I'd check what rate I'm getting on the Halifax Clarity card. It looks to be between 1.16 and 1.17 Euro/Sterling...

    Cheers,

    Adam.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Revolut.
    ask if any of your friends have one as thereís a £50 referral.
    so easy to use, and you can have multiple currencies/spending and transaction limits etc. you can even transfer across at particular times of day for a better rate. (rates are competitive too)
    they do not work on aircraft for buying food/booze for some reason.
    This
    Andy

    Wanted - Damasko DA38 or DC80 Green - not the black versions.

  29. #29
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    18,627
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Itís based and registered in the UK. The whole point of a Revolut card is you can travel and pay in local currency and just top up for the day from your app. You donít have thousands sat there in a bank (UK, Russian or Ukrainian) itís not meant to replace your current account.

    I have about Ä4 on my Revolut card left over from a pre covid trip, when I finally get to Japan Iíll stick £200 of • on and convert the euroís before I leave and top up from there.

    I donít think you realise what these cards are for, spending multiple currencies when travelling, getting cash out in local currencies, not paying high rates or fees and be able to not risk losing large amounts of money should they be stolen.
    Ahh ok. I use monza for trips although not done many!

  30. #30
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Walsall
    Posts
    421
    Shout here for Revolut. Been using it for 6 years.

  31. #31
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bucks. UK.
    Posts
    1,352
    Referall link to sign up for Revolut in case anyone wants an account.
    https://revolut.com/referral/ian7prjq!MAY1-22-AR

  32. #32
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Plymouth, Devon
    Posts
    260
    Another fan of Revolut here.
    4 years on the metal plan.
    Never had a problem.


    Sent from my SM-A725F using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information