closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Delivery scam.

Master
    Blog Entries

Delivery scam.

Think I've just gave my name and phone number to a scammer. I've ordered something from Japan which I have not done before. Checked my junk emails today and had a email from UPS. Says tried delivery, no one so reschedule.clicked the link. Says reschedule delivery for £2.57 fee. Then asks for all details which didn't seem right but then again I thought it might be something to do with customs.
    Anyway Rang the number they asked for tracking number. Gave it then my name and phone number. Gave him that then he says there is no such tracking number. That was it.

So I went on laptop and this time typed in UPS and rang again.told this bloke the tracking number and this time he told me it's a scam email. Great.

Can't believe I gave them details. Literally shaking.

I've rang my bank. They said just watch out for scam phonecalls now.

Master
    Get them all the time, very rarely do delivery companies send out emails/messages like this, just delete in future.
    How much detail did you give them?

We're being bombarded with scam texts at the moment from Royal Mail, DHL and Evri.

My wife nearly fell for one. We're waiting for daughter's birthday present to arrive and a text from Evri (formerly Hermes) went to her phone asking for details for redelivery. She clicked the link and filled in details until it got to DOB then she twigged. Why would the delivery company want her DOB? It was a close call and they only have her name and address so hopefully not much use.

I told her that no delivery company will send a text asking for redelivery details. They only text with a tracking number to let you know it's on the way.

Bastards!

How much did the phone call cost? you might want to check

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Get them all the time, very rarely do delivery companies send out emails/messages like this, just delete in future.
    How much detail did you give them?
    I know my name and phone number. I dont think anything else but my heads that friggin fuzzy now. Just checked the item ive ordered and it will be with DPD. Never had one of these emails before and seems too coincidental that ive ordered something from over seas recently.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    How much did the phone call cost? you might want to check
    My phone normally bars any additional fees. So wont let me phone numbers that are chargeable.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    I know my name and phone number. I dont think anything else but my heads that friggin fuzzy now. Just checked the item ive ordered and it will be with DPD. Never had one of these emails before and seems too coincidental that ive ordered something from over seas recently.
    There are so many of these scams floating around, I would not necessarily link this attempt to your order from Japan.

You did the right thing calling your bank.

If you’re certain you did not click the link and enter details on the website, you may well be okay. However, I would still suggest running an anti-virus and a malware app on your computer, just to reassure you that you have nothing unpleasant sitting behind the scenes.

You could also sign up to the Which scam alert service which sends occasional emails about recent and current scams.

https://campaigns.which.co.uk/scam-alert-service/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Think I've just gave my name and phone number to a scammer. I've ordered something from Japan which I have not done before. Checked my junk emails today and had a email from UPS. Says tried delivery, no one so reschedule.clicked the link. Says reschedule delivery for £2.57 fee. Then asks for all details which didn't seem right but then again I thought it might be something to do with customs.
    Anyway Rang the number they asked for tracking number. Gave it then my name and phone number. Gave him that then he says there is no such tracking number. That was it.
    Did you give them your address? With your address and tracking number it might be possible for them redirect the incoming package to themselves (or to a patsie).

Maybe. Not sure.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Did you give them your address? With your address and tracking number it might be possible for them redirect the incoming package to themselves (or to a patsie).

Maybe. Not sure.
    I dont think so. Just phoned EE to ask them if had any charges but thats all fine.

The strange thing is when i look at my call history on my phone it only has UPS number on there! so maybe it was a legit UPS customer service team i spoke to. Unless they have cloned their number or alike?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    We're being bombarded with scam texts at the moment from Royal Mail, DHL and Evri.

My wife nearly fell for one. We're waiting for daughter's birthday present to arrive and a text from Evri (formerly Hermes) went to her phone asking for details for redelivery. She clicked the link and filled in details until it got to DOB then she twigged. Why would the delivery company want her DOB? It was a close call and they only have her name and address so hopefully not much use.

I told her that no delivery company will send a text asking for redelivery details. They only text with a tracking number to let you know it's on the way.

Bastards!
    This is what made me call them. There seemed to be too much info that they wanted. But then again i wasnt sure because of ordering from over seas. I thought maybe you have to give your details to the shipping company so they can make sure its going to the right address and to sort any fees.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    There are so many of these scams floating around, I would not necessarily link this attempt to your order from Japan.

You did the right thing calling your bank.

If you’re certain you did not click the link and enter details on the website, you may well be okay. However, I would still suggest running an anti-virus and a malware app on your computer, just to reassure you that you have nothing unpleasant sitting behind the scenes.

You could also sign up to the Which scam alert service which sends occasional emails about recent and current scams.

https://campaigns.which.co.uk/scam-alert-service/
    Whats the best way of doing this on your phone? Andriod.

Check the sender's e-mail address, if it is a scam it will not have come from a UPS address.

Master
    Isn’t it the £2.57 delivery fee where they have you? You make payment with card inc CCV and they have your details

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Isn’t it the £2.57 delivery fee where they have you? You make payment with card inc CCV and they have your details

Correct !! that is then sold on two or three times depending so check the card for just eats, deliveroos,pizzahut, halfords Band Q etc in one to three weeks hence. I've seen many clustered around Bradford, leicester and east london.

Be safe and cancel the card used and get a new one.

I note that Barclays will now charge a sum for replacing cards after two replacements in a year AFAIR.

Best of luck

B