closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: iPhone 11Blocked By Seller

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name

iPhone 11Blocked By Seller

Hi,

I thought I would ask here given the wealth on knowledge on this fine site.

I bought a BNIB unlocked iPhone 11 on 1st December last year. The seller had a number of items listed and had been a member of Gumtree since 2019 and I thought it should be fine as I had arranged to meet them at their home (block of flats).

Collection went well with no issues other than the seller meeting me at the main door to their apartments (block of 16) apparently her daughter was asleep??

As of Monday my Daughter said it hasn’t been working, contacted O2 to be told it’s blocked by a carrier?

Reading online it seems that this is a very common practice as the sellers would then claim another phone after a few months reporting the original insured phone being lost or stolen.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I get this working or as I’ve read and now fear that this is now only suitable as a coaster.

I have emailed the seller and await a reply but suspect that she won’t reply if this is what she done.

Short of paying her a visit is there an alternative solution?

Thanks

B

Craftsman
    It depend whether it is blocked or blacklisted.

https://www.bankmycell.com/blog/how-...listed-iphone/

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by qaz4169 View Post
    It depend whether it is blocked or blacklisted.

https://www.bankmycell.com/blog/how-...listed-iphone/

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thanks, it’s been Blacklisted

Now seeing if I can get it working again….

B

Quote Originally Posted by bomberman View Post
    Thanks, it’s been Blacklisted

Now seeing if I can get it working again….

B
    I'd open open an ebay case. They should refund you and at the very least get the seller banned to save someone else being scammed. Report to the police as well.

EDIT: Just realised it was bumtree. Sorry for your loss. Still notify the busies, even just to claim the insurance back.
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 11th May 2022 at 10:06.

iPhone and gumtree. All you needed to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I'd open open an ebay case. They should refund you and at the very least get the seller banned to save someone else being scammed. Report to the police as well.
    Unfortunately Gumtree has considerably less buyer protection than eBay

surely you need to establish the owner of the phone, you don't want to be receiving stolen property, the IMEI number should help, try something like this https://www.imei.info/ or just call the carrier if you know who it is.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    surely you need to establish the owner of the phone, you don't want to be receiving stolen property, the IMEI number should help, try something like this https://www.imei.info/ or just call the carrier if you know who it is.
    On the first link it confirms valid purchase, registration unlocked and is still in warranty but is shown as Blacklisted (no info as to who blocked it).

B

If a scam, I'm surprised by their patience waiting for 6 months. The main door meet would have killed it for me. I only use Gumtree for less risky items, it's cheaper for a reason. That said, hopefully you get it resolved.

Master
    This is exactly the reason why I am always apprehensive purchasing a used phone even if brand new, as it always leaves the possibility of these problems.

I recently purchased one off this forum and was very paranoid about the process due to my fearing a scenario similar to one the OP has described.

I did proceed however and the seller of course turned out to be an honest gentleman, the complete opposite of the Gumtree seller the OP has had the misfortune of buying off.

I hope the OP finds resolution to the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bomberman View Post
    On the first link it confirms valid purchase, registration unlocked and is still in warranty but is shown as Blacklisted (no info as to who blocked it).

B
    Maybe it was still in contract and it has now finished, or it has been reported stolen, if you know which network it was on check with them

this might be useful https://www.simsurprise.co.uk/articl...-and-unlocking

Master
    Maybe in contact and they have not paid their bill

Master
    Some one I know had this happen after 2 weeks after buying him and his Mrs 2 iPhones from cex

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Maybe in contact and they have not paid their bill
    This could well be the case. Can be seen as a loan if people buy things on a lengthy contract then sell for an upfront lump sum. I think one of our own on the forum has been accused of doing similar in H&V.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Some one I know had this happen after 2 weeks after buying him and his Mrs 2 iPhones from cex
    With CEX at least you have a warranty and can return for either a refund or replacements.

Years ago I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S4 from HotUKDeals when they has a sales forum and that turned out to be blocked/barred. Me and my son went to see the guy who sold it to me, caught him as he was leaving for work and demanded a refund which he gave there and then, so a lucky escape.

When I discovered that the phone was blocked I tried contacting the service provider etc but due to data protection nobody would talk to me or was vaguely interested that effectively fraud was being committed.

Craftsman
    If the seller has put a claim in to the insurance company and then requested the handset is blacklisted from the network there is nothing you can do. The phone is now the property of the insurance company and only they can request removal from the blacklist or the original owner, they won’t if a claim has been made.
    It’s pretty crap what they’ve done but blacklist removal is really hard and requires original proof of purchase.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Surely if its blackisted due to insurance claim, the next stop is the police or insurance company?

Reporting an item stolen and then selling it is fraud, pure and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Surely if its blackisted due to insurance claim, the next stop is the police or insurance company?

Reporting an item stolen and then selling it is fraud, pure and simple.
    Doubt they’d be interested.

The old, meet me at the entrence to some flats, we cant go to my flat because my kid is sleeping. Classic.

She probably lives 20 miles away, a different name and several gumtree accounts at various stages.