closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: safe queens question?

Master

safe queens question?

All of the many watches that are kept as safe queens, ( although maybe not actually in a safe ), how often do people show them the light of day and wind them up.
    Is it better not to wind them up, or good to let them run periodically.

Grand Master
    In my opinion there is no benefit in periodically winding watches that are in storage.

In my opinion there is no benefit in watches that are in storage.

Why do you ask?

I have no safe queens (all my watches, including Pateks, have battle scars from daily wear). I only wind my watches when I'm going to wear them, and I let them stop in-between times.

Craftsman
    I have my grandads old Date just in the safe its not been wound in 20 years , a recent thread where the op had a mismatched day and date wheel has encouraged me to perhaps get it out and wear it a bit

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    In my opinion there is no benefit in watches that are in storage.
    Entirely up to the owner, his watch, so it's his to do with as he wishes. Freedom etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Entirely up to the owner, his watch, so it's his to do with as he wishes. Freedom etc.
    Not aware I told anyone what to do.

Also, if you look closely, and concentrate really hard, you might spot that it was a little play on the previous post.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Master
    Not aware I told anyone what to do.

Also, if you look closely, and concentrate really hard, you might spot that it was a little play on the previous post.

and I am just making a statement about your statement. Feel free to make another about mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    and I am just making a statement about your statement. Feel free to make another about mine.
    Feel free to start making some sense.

Master
    Before this goes off track, I asked the question purely because when I had my Breitling Navi world serviced last year the guy that serviced it mentioned that sometimes any lubrication inside can dry up over a period of time and potentially cause problems.
    Whether this is the case I don't know, hence the question. The only time my safe queens come out is when I wear them, which is very seldom, one has never been worn and still has the stickers on etc.
    I know some would say what is the point of that but this particular watch just took my fancy, ( it's breitlng military issue ), so I just bought it and it's been in the safe ever since.

Apologies for the diversion. I'd probably wind it occasionally as it gives whatever lubricant remains a chance to do its job. I'm sure someone with more technical expertise will be along shortly though!

Grand Master
    Apologies for the diversion. I'd probably wind it occasionally as it gives whatever lubricant remains a chance to do its job. I'm sure someone with more technical expertise will be along shortly though!
    What job are you expecting the lubricant to perform whilst the watch isn’t running?

The tiny amount of lubricant involved sits where it’s supposed to, there’s absolutely no benefit in running the watch periodically.

I have an extensive collection if watches, its not unusual for one of of mine to spend several months without being used. I’ve yet to see ana example where a watch has suffered from not being used, I put tgemon the timegrapher and they run exactly as I would expect.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    What job are you expecting the lubricant to perform whilst the watch isn’t running?

The tiny amount of lubricant involved sits where it’s supposed to, there’s absolutely no benefit in running the watch periodically.

I have an extensive collection if watches, its not unusual for one of of mine to spend several months without being used. I’ve yet to see ana example where a watch has suffered from not being used, I put tgemon the timegrapher and they run exactly as I would expect.
    My only thought was whether it would move out of place over an extended period of time and the winding would help with distribution. I guess it's such small amounts though.
    Last edited by gunner; 12th May 2022 at 07:21.

safe queens question?

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Before this goes off track, I asked the question purely because when I had my Breitling Navi world serviced last year the guy that serviced it mentioned that sometimes any lubrication inside can dry up over a period of time and potentially cause problems.
    Running or not shouldn’t affect any drying.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis9 View Post
    I'd suggest that a watch stored in a safe is cool, and certainly dark inside, so the 'shelf life' of the oils inside is up to 18 years.
    Most watches will be dark inside.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 12th May 2022 at 07:27.

Craftsman
    I don’t wind my watches that are not being worn, although I can understand the benefits of winding regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Captaincook View Post
    I don’t wind my watches that are not being worn, although I can understand the benefits of winding regularly.
    Can I ask what those benefits are of winding regularly?

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis9 View Post
    Buy a watch winder. They are brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Is that why so many come up for sale in SC?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

This question has come into my mind, as I've started to build up a collection again after I promised I wouldn't...oops. Everyting I've come across so far has been anecdotal.

Given how sophisticated and precise manufacturing both movements and oils has gotten though, and his experience, I'd be inclined to listen to Paul on this one. I don't think there can be much in it, by winding a watch daily. It boils down to the same logic of "should I keep my chronograph running when I'm not using it to keep it healthy". Generally, that answer is no.

Always best to show the watch daylight occasionally so the lume doesn't degrade from any 'memory effect'.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 12th May 2022 at 12:37.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    This question has come into my mind, as I've started to build up a collection again after I promised I wouldn't...oops. Everyting I've come across so far has been anecdotal.

Given how sophisticated and precise manufacturing both movements and oils has gotten though, and his experience, I'd be inclined to listen to Paul on this one. I don't think there can be much in it, by winding a watch daily. It boils down to the same logic of "should I keep my chronograph running when I'm not using it to keep it healthy". Generally, that answer is no.
    I have a 1980 watch which is used about 12 weeks a year and lies dormant in a safe for the rest of the time. It's timing accuracy is brilliant, it gains about 2 sec every 4 weeks. So I will continue to leave it dormant.

As most watches of the types we are discussing are 'hermetically' sealed surely the question of oils drying out over time is irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    As most watches of the types we are discussing are 'hermetically' sealed surely the question of oils drying out over time is irrelevant?
    Not sure about them being hermetically sealed. Liquid water can’t get in but they aren’t 100% impermeable to gasses, presumably including oil vapour.

I have a lot of watches in my collection and generally check the non wearers over every six months to a year, mainly to see if the quartzes need new batteries but I do give the mechanicals a shake/wind at the same time.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052