closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Case backs.

Case backs.

The forum photographer who sometimes sells real QUALITY watch photos should perhaps consider photographing some interesting case backs ? I love a nice case back and seeing the Omega one for sale in SC made me think about a photo or two.

Grand Master
    Sorry but I can’t get excited about casebacks, they are the part of the watch you don’t see whilst wearing it so they contribute very little to the wearing experience.

With my repairers head on, they can be an absolute pain to refinish when damaged from clumsy attempts to open the watch. They’re surprisingly difficult to refinish correctly, re- doing the straight grained finish on some us always a challenge. Concentric graining is easier but difficult to get an even finish.

Definitely the least significant aspect of a watch for me, although I do like the Seamaster logo on 60s Omegas. The gold insert on the 60s Constellations is also pleasing and its a good way to assess how hard a life the watch has had!

Glass/display casebacks......... total waste of time for me, when I’ve finished working on a movement I’m sick of the sight of it! I seriously don’t see the appeal.

Master
    I quite like them. For some of us who wouldn't think of opening the back of a mechanical watch, they're the only way we're going to see the movement. It's quite interesting to see the rotor spinning.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Sorry but I can’t get excited about casebacks, they are the part of the watch you don’t see whilst wearing it so they contribute very little to the wearing experience.

With my repairers head on, they can be an absolute pain to refinish when damaged from clumsy attempts to open the watch. They’re surprisingly difficult to refinish correctly, re- doing the straight grained finish on some us always a challenge. Concentric graining is easier but difficult to get an even finish.

Definitely the least significant aspect of a watch for me, although I do like the Seamaster logo on 60s Omegas. The gold insert on the 60s Constellations is also pleasing and its a good way to assess how hard a life the watch has had!

Glass/display casebacks......... total waste of time for me, when I’ve finished working on a movement I’m sick of the sight of it! I seriously don’t see the appeal.

Sounds like you enjoy your work Paul ? :)

Blog Entries
    Here is an old selection of case backs taken a while ago:

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I assume you mean solid casebacks?
    This was my most interesting one:

One of my favorites, Tokyo Olympics October 1964.

Craftsman

Case backs.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I quite like them. For some of us who wouldn't think of opening the back of a mechanical watch, they're the only way we're going to see the movement. It's quite interesting to see the rotor spinning.
    Totally agree. Some decorated
    movements are just as visually appealing as the dials imo.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I don't mind a case back with details such as makers name, model, serial number etc, but clear display case backs are a no no for me, they generally make the watch thicker and are pointless when wearing the watch.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Case backs hold no real interest to me and I especially dislike display backs - hideous things.

Rolex have the best idea - plain.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Case backs hold no real interest to me and I especially dislike display backs - hideous things.

Pretty boring though IMO but I suppose easier and cheaper too produce which means more profit for Rolex :)

I love a nice case back, I think most people here know I am a bit of a military watch buff and that is where some of the interest lays. Every one is unique, not particularly attractive, nerdy to the extreme but a case back can reveal quite a bit about a military watch.
    I agree regarding a display back, especially if on a diver or showing a movement that is pretty generic or where the rotor covers most of the movement, although a display back on a manual wind chrono is a nice touch.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I love a display back, particularly on manual wind watches and find watching the workings just as interesting as reading the dial.

Blog Entries

Cool

I love display backs:

Favorite case backs for me belong to the Omega X-33 series such as:

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 10th May 2022 at 17:14.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

If there’s some decoration, a display case back is nice.

The display casebacks on recent Tudors and Seikos is utterly pointless, and as other have said, just serve to make the watch thicker. I’m often looking for a solid caseback for my alpinist.

A suggestion with some merit; solid case backs can tell you a lot about a watch and sometimes have really interesting and appealing designs...if its a Rolex I wouldn't bother but others like Enicar and Certina are worth 'recording' IMHO.

I chuckled to myself when I remembered I actually have a picture of this caseback. Isn't it, erm, exciting

Craftsman
    The back of my Citizen BN0000-04H dive watch is pretty nice. Being a one piece case it’s not got a case back as such…

I quite like a nice casebook.

Still some remnants of the blue sticker on this one.

Cheers..
    Jase

I like a display back like on my defy 21. I do take it off every now and then to look at the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Pretty boring though IMO but I suppose easier and cheaper too produce which means more profit for Rolex :)
    In contrast I often find cheaper watches have the fanciest case backs.

A way to make them look more expensive?

Also display backs on Seiko 5's?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I quite like a display back, if the movement within is nicely decorated; I struggle with the point of a display back for a Seiko 4S or a bogstandard 2824, though. Also, I’m a sucker for unconventional decoration on a case back, or interesting design - the turbine back on the Breitling B-1 is a case in point, it’s marvellous.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Glass/display casebacks......... total waste of time for me! I seriously don’t see the appeal.
    Luckily, we are all different in out tastes. For me, watches are jewellery and 60% of the attraction is the watchmaker showing me the art of his movement. If it is not visible, it might just as well be quartz.
    I know that you can't see it when the watch is being worn, but mine are worn for only a small percentage of the time.
    My attitude has become "if the manufacturer cannot be bothered to show me his movement, I can't be bothered to give him my shekels".

A few examples from my boxes . .