closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iphone users Q about Storage

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    49 posts and people still don't seem to understand what iCloud actually does and the difference cloud and local storage.

If you have a 64GB iPhone and 50GB of music on Spotify then iCloud is not going to help you one bit.
    I may have missed something but where has Spotify been mentioned and can you explain what you mean (I think most people realise that you can’t backup Spotify songs to ICloud, unlike Apple Music tracks)?

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    I may have missed something but where has Spotify been mentioned and can you explain what you mean (I think most people realise that you can’t backup Spotify songs to ICloud, unlike Apple Music tracks)?
    Just an example of local storage. Nothing special re Spotify.

Equally if you have 5,000 apps taking up 50GB or 100GB iCloud isn't going to do anything to help you. The phone will encourage app offloading to give you more space but ultimately iCloud won't help you.

iCloud won't give anyone more local storage, it will just put into the cloud what is possible to live in the cloud -- photos, videos, backups, contacts etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis9 View Post
    There's an iphone with 50gb storage?
    No but once the OS is installed...

The OS adds storage space?
    Yeah, every OS does. Storage is always advertised that way.

Master
    102 posts in 6 years and 2 in this thread, wow.

Sorry if this was tongue in cheek but in the absence of emoji I've decided it could be genuine.
    No. Phone manufacturers state the storage when empty (64 GB min for an iPhone I believe) and the OS takes some of that space hence lower availability
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Brilliant biz model from Apple, sell expensive devices and then lock in with a storage subscription and future devices, and promote family packages to get the next generation tied in

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I got wound up by the payment model of icloud etc so just connect it with a cable to my laptop every month, open the "image capture" app that's bundled with the apple software and copy all the pics and videos across to a hard drive, then clear my phone. As others' have said, I resent paying them to store a bunch of screenshots and pics of payment parking numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Brilliant biz model from Apple, sell expensive devices and then lock in with a storage subscription and future devices, and promote family packages to get the next generation tied in

Would you recommend the M2101K7BNY over an iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Would you recommend the M2101K7BNY over an iPhone?
    Ha! Good one. It's actually a Redmi Note 10s. £139 from Amazon last November.

Replaced an iPhone XR.

An upgrade to an iPhone 12 or 13 was getting to £1,000, which I thought was too much.

In all honesty the Note 10s is better or equal to the XR in everyway, except

1. the camera, and in hindsight I should have ponied up the extra £70 and got the Note10 pro with better screen and camera.

And 2. No Apple watch compatibility.

But at least 2 got me back in to mechanical watches and this forum!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie1 View Post
    H
    My iphone 64gb is nearly always at full capacity although I offload apps and try to delete as many photos and videos as possible.
    What do others do in this situation - buy a phone with more capacity or pay to store stuff on icloud ?

Thanks in advance
    Ed
    IIRC as an Apple user you’ll get some Cloud storage foc (sorry can’t remember how much), and you can save space on the phone by choosing the menu option to store full-size photos in the Cloud and low res versions on your handset.