closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iphone users Q about Storage

Craftsman

Iphone users Q about Storage

H
    My iphone 64gb is nearly always at full capacity although I offload apps and try to delete as many photos and videos as possible.
    What do others do in this situation - buy a phone with more capacity or pay to store stuff on icloud ?

Thanks in advance
    Ed

Do they not have a memory card option?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wife uses iCloud.

Master
    I’ve an iphone 12 pro 128gb which i manage but also have an icloud account ‘just in case’. It’s pennies a month i think so well worth it for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    Do they not have a memory card option?
    iPhone? You’re joking! Why would they allow you to have a cost effective solution!!

Settings > General > iPhone Storage

Go into there, take a screenshot, pop it in here.

iPhone ES 64gb here. iCloud storage costs me 79p/month - a complete no brainier compared to buying a new phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iCloud storage is fantastic (we all have it in the family) but is not the answer to your problem.
    To me, the greatest benefit of iCloud is the daily (nightly) back up of your phone. Perfect if you break it or lose it. But it's 50 GB and your phone is 64, so when your phone gets too full so does your iCloud, up until it cannot make the back-up anymore.
    The solution (at least, the one that works for us, and assuming you use a Mac as well):
    1) Back up your phone at least once a month (plug in your phone to the Mac, open a finder window, select iPhone, choose your option (most important data or everything) and click on back up now).
    2) Import all your iPhone photos and videos into Photos on your Mac
    3) Delete all the photos that you can from your iPhone: they are safe on your Mac
    4) make sure you do not include photos in your iCloud back up (as above, in settings post #6)

That should not stop you from having the iCloud account.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    iCloud storage is fantastic (we all have it in the family) but is not the answer to your problem.
    To me, the greatest benefit of iCloud is the daily (nightly) back up of your phone. Perfect if you break it or lose it. But it's 50 GB and your phone is 64, so when your phone gets too full so does your iCloud, up until it cannot make the back-up anymore.
    The solution (at least, the one that works for us, and assuming you use a Mac as well):
    1) Back up your phone at least once a month (plug in your phone to the Mac, open a finder window, select iPhone, choose your option (most important data or everything) and click on back up now).
    3) Delete all the photos that you can from your iPhone: they are safe on your Mac
    4) make sure you do not include photos in your iCloud back up (as above, in settings post #6)

Just to be clear you aren’t restricted to 50gb. I have 2 TB for £6.99 pm and you can have 200gb for £2.49

I find that after deleting photos (making sure they're deleted from the deleted folder as well), apps and other stuff, if you do a back up via iTunes this will often get rid of any crap that was lurking on the phone and free up a good chunk of storage.

I've found that deleting and reinstalling commonly used apps reduces some of the clutter by removing the temp files the apps save

Doing a soft reset will also clear some of the cached files also

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I find that after deleting photos (making sure they're deleted from the deleted folder as well), apps and other stuff, if you do a back up via iTunes this will often get rid of any crap that was lurking on the phone and free up a good chunk of storage.
    Deleting photos is probably one of the least effective ways to get back iPhone Storage.

Just pay your 79p or so (or get a family plan) and tick this.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    iPhone? You’re joking! Why would they allow you to have a cost effective solution!!
    Good grief, I had not realised that iPhones were so restricted, wow.

Blog Entries
    Without going in the usual Apple/Android or Apple/PC diatribe, just get an iCloud storage plan.

And at regular intervals transfer images and videos to external hard disk or similar.

Have seen this helps me to keep only images I need to keep, and erase the bulk. Just when you move house, a good occasion to throw away what is not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Just to be clear you aren’t restricted to 50gb. I have 2 TB for £6.99 pm and you can have 200gb for £2.49
    Absolutely. 79p is virtually free, which is why I took it as a starting point to address the punctual issue the OP was experiencing. If his needs increase he will indeed have the options you highlighted.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Deleting photos is probably one of the least effective ways to get back iPhone Storage.

Just pay your 79p or so (or get a family plan) and tick this.

You do not have a 16 yo daughter
    Photos are the most efficient way because they use so much space, even optimised as you suggested. I have been confronted with this issue a few weeks ago and she was caught in a catch 22 situation as iCloud would not back up her phone -including her important data- because of lack of space. All the above ticks were on but to no avail.
    Having the photos on your computer (or NAS) and only keeping your favourite ones on your phone is a better use of the phone and of the cloud storage.
    And software like Clean my Mac and Gemini II help keep your computer data in better shape.

Absolutely. 79p is virtually free, which is why I took it as a starting point to address the punctual issue the OP was experiencing. If his needs increase he will indeed have the options you highlighted.

You do not have a 16 yo daughter
    Photos are the most efficient way because they use so much space, even optimised as you suggested. I have been confronted with this issue a few weeks ago and she was caught in a catch 22 situation as iCloud would not back up her phone -including her important data- because of lack of space. All the above ticks were on but to no avail.
    Having the photos on your computer (or NAS) and only keeping your favourite ones on your phone is a better use of the phone and of the cloud storage.
    And software like Clean my Mac and Gemini II help keep your computer data in better shape.
    I pay for two iCloud family plans (so can't see one of them properly) and one Google One family plan but none of those have a 16 year old girl in them so Ill bow to your expertise!

One thing which did batter the storage out of nowhere was my mother in law taking multiple 30-45 minute videos of her granddaughter. I didn't have the heart to explain so moved her into a fresh iCloud plan and upgraded Google one to 2TB. Now trying to get her to use the Google photos app instead before I get milked even more by Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I pay for two iCloud family plans (so can't see one of them properly) and one Google One family plan but none of those have a 16 year old girl in them so Ill bow to your expertise!

One thing which did batter the storage out of nowhere was my mother in law taking multiple 30-45 minute videos of her granddaughter. I didn't have the heart to explain so moved her into a fresh iCloud plan and upgraded Google one to 2TB. Now trying to get her to use the Google photos app instead before I get milked even more by Apple.

Think of my daughter as the equivalent of your MiL, but more tech savvy

It doesn't stop her from expecting miracle solutions from dad, of course. And I have avoided upgrading her account, not because I am tight but because I know I'd have to solve exactly the same issue in a few months time, only much worse.

Think of my daughter as the equivalent of your MiL, but more tech savvy

It doesn't stop her from expecting miracle solutions from dad, of course. And I have avoided upgrading her account, not because I am tight but because I know I'd have to solve exactly the same issue in a few months time, only much worse.
    Yep, space is meaningless as you fill whatever you have regardless. Sadly I do the same with tasks Vs time available, cupboards and wages.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    Good grief, I had not realised that iPhones were so restricted, wow.
    no easy battery change either,

i have had several android phones that i could change the battery in seconds

Master
    The iCloud storage for pennies is the route I took. I have never had to go beyond the 0.79p a month option.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    no easy battery change either,

i have had several android phones that i could change the battery in seconds
    Wow.

One of my daughters uses a SD card on her iphone, she just plugs an adapter into the bottom.

I thought you could only import with those adapters?

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post

To be honest i'm not sure what it can and cannot do, sorry but I saw her using it a couple of times.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie1 View Post
    H
    My iphone 64gb is nearly always at full capacity although I offload apps and try to delete as many photos and videos as possible.
    What do others do in this situation - buy a phone with more capacity or pay to store stuff on icloud ?

Thanks in advance
    Ed
    As others have said - buy iCloud backup - pick the size you like - but for your phone maybe try the 200GB plan at 2.49/month - should serve you ok - auto backup and set pic backup as per above

United Kingdom3 (GBP)
    50GB: £0.79
    200GB: £2.49
    2TB: £6.99
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    One of my daughters uses a SD card on her iphone, she just plugs an adapter into the bottom.

Might be some help but presumably it’s a slightly clumsy bit of kit that has to be taken on and off. Not like being able to slot a memory card in.

Journeyman
    Not sure if I missed it, but be interested to know what system says is actually taking up that space.

Tactical content management may well have you having to change device for a while to come.

Rgds

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Icloud for the wife and I. Her phone was stolen about 5 years ago and she lost pictures of the kids which upset her greatly. Luckily I had most on my phone but not all. Now we both pay for icloud not only for the extra storage but more for the safety for pictures and videos. Plus when you upgrade your phone everything is there to download very quickly.

Most pictures taken are never looked at again. I'd delete 95% or whatever and backup the rest (even those will likely never be wanted or looked at ever again).

Master

No, I have an official Apple one but I think you can only import from the SD card (I use it for SD cards from my camera) but, I don’t think you can export to it or use it for general additional storage.

No, I have an official Apple one but I think you can only import from the SD card (I use it for SD cards from my camera) but, I don’t think you can export to it or use it for general additional storage.
    We are in violent agreement

Master
    This one?

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/produc...-camera-reader

Master
    Yep

- - - Updated - - -

We are in violent agreement

Ooops- yes we are…. Sorry

I wouldn’t worry that the 50gb backup on iCloud is less than your phone capacity. I believe that phone capacity has to run the operating system, processor etc, and there is data that won’t be backed up from apps such as Facebook, Google maps, and gaming apps, as that remains stored with the App providers (and I stand to be corrected).

Eg, over many years of using Apple systems and iCloud storage, and through many different devices, the total data usage on my 50gb storage is only 21gb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree for normal people like you and I.
    Teenagers are not normal people. My daughter had 48.9 GB on her iCloud and the backup was not happening (and hadn’t for some time apparently…)

Teenagers are not normal people. My daughter had 48.9 GB on her iCloud and the backup was not happening (and hadn’t for some time apparently…)
    Fair point… and quite astonishing! Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Wow.

I have a lot of photos and two teenagers so you can imagine how many that totals!

I would echo what people have already said above, pay for the Family plan to you can share the photo storage and turn on optimise storage so they don't take up much space on your phone. With iCloud you will also get the advatage of file storage and backup spread between the family so very much worth it compared to losing everything.

We also have Office 365 as a family so I get tons of storage there. So download the onedrive app and it will also backup up your photos, same for Amazon Photos if you are prime.
    Plus I have a Western Digital NAS My Cloud that is in the bedroom and all photos are backed up to that as well.

One gotcha with Icloud is its synced, so if you delete it on your phone it gets wiped from all other connected devices to that AppleID, yes it goes in recently deleted but not for that long. With the other strategies I've mentioned they don't sync deletes, the downside is you might have a load of screen shots, crappy pics etc but you still get evrything you have ever taken.

A friend a few years ago lost all of his photos as he didn't have any backup plan so defintely worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post

A friend a few years ago lost all of his photos as he didn't have any backup plan so defintely worth considering.

But according to Kingstepper he would only have looked at 5% of those, so no great loss

But according to Kingstepper he would only have looked at 5% of those, so no great loss
    Yeah, but I don’t agree with that. I curate my photos quite stringently and only keep the good ones. I used to be a professional photographer so the ones that are left are pretty decent not all are snaps.

That’s 11,000 in total.

Apple photos is always coming up with suggested images from the date and creating videos of all those great memories

Something the whole family enjoys, it’s lovely to see our teenagers when they were babies or the dogs as puppies, family holidays, special days etc.

Losing those would be a complete trauma. So a few £ a month is worth it for that.

Cheers, Shaun

Yes, my opinion, have you got one?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Yes, my opinion, have you got one?
    Plenty, but yours are so much more… er… useful?

OP: "How do I back up my photos?"

KS: "Just delete them. You're never going to look at them anyway."

Genius!

Blog Entries
    i run a 2TB iCloud storage for £6.99/month with family sharing for all our needs and peace of mind. So 10s GB is easily handled. Hope that helps
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    i run a 2TB iCloud storage for £6.99/month with family sharing for all our needs and peace of mind. So 10s GB is easily handled. Hope that helps
    In logical, man maths, it would indeed make sense. Except:
    1) there cannot be the suggestion that we are sharing space as that could mean her privacy is compromised
    2) even if she had the whole space for herself, that would only be kicking the can down the line and within a few months I would have to solve a 2 TB issue instead of a 50 GB one.

She can use the NAS if she needs genuine storage space.

I've got the 2tb on a family plan at £6.99 a month. I think I have around 145gb on it and my 15 year old daughter has around 60gb, and my other half around 45gb.

I'm quite happy that everything on our phones for the three of us is backed up beyond any capacity we're ever going to use for £6.99 a month. Gives me quite a lot of piece of mind actually.

I've had a puzzling message on my iPhone 13 this morning regarding iCloud backup. I'm new to the world of iPhone, so please bear with me.

Backups have been happening with no issue up to this morning when I get a message that last nights backup failed, (no reason given), and I get a panel offering me various iCloud storage upgrade plans. I currently have the basic free 5Gig and looking at my iCloud I have used 751.8 Meg of that 5Gig. Now nothing, to my knowledge, has changed on the phone since Tuesday - when the last backup happened - no photographs, no downloads, no new Apps etc!

Is there a way on the iPhone to check how much it thinks it wants to backup? Any ideas what's causing this?
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    I've had a puzzling message on my iPhone 13 this morning regarding iCloud backup. I'm new to the world of iPhone, so please bear with me.

Backups have been happening with no issue up to this morning when I get a message that last nights backup failed, (no reason given), and I get a panel offering me various iCloud storage upgrade plans. I currently have the basic free 5Gig and looking at my iCloud I have used 751.8 Meg of that 5Gig. Now nothing, to my knowledge, has changed on the phone since Tuesday - when the last backup happened - no photographs, no downloads, no new Apps etc!

Is there a way on the iPhone to check how much it thinks it wants to backup? Any ideas what's causing this?
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203516

The link may help in identifying what your next backup size is.

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203516

The link may help in identifying what your next backup size is.
    Just what I needed, thanks.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

This. Never had a storage issue since getting the cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by pinpull View Post
    iPhone ES 64gb here. iCloud storage costs me 79p/month - a complete no brainier compared to buying a new phone

49 posts and people still don't seem to understand what iCloud actually does and the difference cloud and local storage.

If you have a 64GB iPhone and 50GB of music on Spotify then iCloud is not going to help you one bit.