closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which would you go for and why?

Master

Which would you go for and why?

Looking at getting one really nice watch that’s not going to break the bank but also could be worn with anything.

Budget is set at £2k otherwise things go out of control

Currently looking at a Longines Heritage Diver or a Rado Captain Cook

Which would you go for and why or would you go for something else

Thanks

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

As you didn't specify new or pre-owned, I'd go for a pre-owned Omega Seamaster. Stone cold classic. And if you decide you don't like it, you can move it on easily.

Prices have gone up recently on good examples though, but you might get one within budget.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves
    Last edited by sish101; 8th May 2022 at 23:41.

Blog Entries
    Maurice Lacroix Aikon (or Aikon Venturer). Available on leather, rubber or bracelet, different colours.

Some samples...

Why? Because nice watches, look good, good value for money.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 8th May 2022 at 23:55.

Longines.

Im not a huge fan of the Rado, but have bought the LLD in two colours, and the Skin Diver Longines.

Used the Longines (or in a very good sale, if your lucky) are excellent value.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I see you’ve bumped my old sales post for the black LLD. They are great watches in any of the many guises and in my opinion are excellent all rounders that can be worn absolutely anywhere. So that would be my choice.

Just don’t pay full price.

Have you tried the Longines on?
    They do have a strangely long lug to lug distance which I found uncomfortable on my smaller wrists.

These are difficult questions as a watch you wear anywhere is very dependent on your personal style and the sorts of places you go.

Personally, for my lifestyle, neither watch is particularly versatile, the LLD is huge and the Rado is quite blingy. I’d be looking at a no-bezel three hander, which at the budget would be a nomos, a Sinn 556 or maybe a TAG Carrera calibre 5.

Of the two you have picked, I’d prefer the LLD but I’m not sure I’ve got the wrists for it.

As per the thrust of my post, YMMV.

Second hand Aqua Terra, very refined and subtle.

Significantly under your budget, a Seiko spb 14x. Divers, but not massive so perfectly okay in a formal setting, but equally rugged enough for holidays

Also, maybe one of Eddie's Everest models, esp the divers version coming later this year, if you can grab one. 1/4 of the price of some others, but definitely not 1/4 of the watch!

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    As you didn't specify new or pre-owned, I'd go for a pre-owned Omega Seamaster. Stone cold classic. And if you decide you don't like it, you can move it on easily.

Prices have gone up recently on good examples though, but you might get one within budget.

Makes me wish that I didn't sell my Speedy in 2020 for just over the my now budget but needs must back then and we live and learn!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    I see you’ve bumped my old sales post for the black LLD. They are great watches in any of the many guises and in my opinion are excellent all rounders that can be worn absolutely anywhere. So that would be my choice.

Just don’t pay full price.
    Saw that when doing a search and looked rather nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug86 View Post
    Have you tried the Longines on?
    They do have a strangely long lug to lug distance which I found uncomfortable on my smaller wrists.
    I have done previously and seemed to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    These are difficult questions as a watch you wear anywhere is very dependent on your personal style and the sorts of places you go.

Personally, for my lifestyle, neither watch is particularly versatile, the LLD is huge and the Rado is quite blingy. I’d be looking at a no-bezel three hander, which at the budget would be a nomos, a Sinn 556 or maybe a TAG Carrera calibre 5.

Of the two you have picked, I’d prefer the LLD but I’m not sure I’ve got the wrists for it.

As per the thrust of my post, YMMV.
    I work from home permanently so want some thing that I can wear to any occasion, as I feel like I want to dress a little smarter when I do go out and not in joggy's and t shirts all the time. I liked the Rado due to the quick change straps ability which also appeals, a Tag Carrera is a good shout, I did have a twin time previously!

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Second hand Aqua Terra, very refined and subtle.

Significantly under your budget, a Seiko spb 14x. Divers, but not massive so perfectly okay in a formal setting, but equally rugged enough for holidays

Also, maybe one of Eddie's Everest models, esp the divers version coming later this year, if you can grab one. 1/4 of the price of some others, but definitely not 1/4 of the watch!

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk
    I have looked at the Everest before and was a nice looking watch.

I think I have learnt from the above that I should not of sold my previous watches (Navitimer, Speedy, Classima, Prince etc)

Longines, just a better looking watch imo but for me I'd go used/mint MM200 in any SLA configuration.

Master
    The Captain Cook is great, go for that and aim for a discount.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    What's your disposition towards quartz? Because 2k gets you into Grand Seiko territory if quartz is not an issue.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    What's your disposition towards quartz? Because 2k gets you into Grand Seiko territory if quartz is not an issue.
    I guess thats one thing I would wish to not have, looking in my watch box currently with all the quartz watches currently needing their batteries replacing.

Sinn? U1 or U50? 556 or 856?

They all come up reasonably regularly on sales corner, okay maybe the U50 not so much.

get a used seamaster while you can. the way the world is going it might even go up in value

Craftsman
    I'd spend the full budget on an Aqua Terra. Dresses up and down well. Plenty of choices. Very versatile, timeless.

Master
    I’m going to be boring and say bb58 (one in SC seems within budget).

Goes with a variety of straps so can use it for any situation

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
    Sinn? U1 or U50? 556 or 856?

They all come up reasonably regularly on sales corner, okay maybe the U50 not so much.
    Just not sure I am a fan of Sinn

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    get a used seamaster while you can. the way the world is going it might even go up in value
    Looking at Seamaster's again not sure I really like them

Quote Originally Posted by Progressive View Post
    I'd spend the full budget on an Aqua Terra. Dresses up and down well. Plenty of choices. Very versatile, timeless.
    An interesting watch, will look more into this

Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    I’m going to be boring and say bb58 (one in SC seems within budget).

Goes with a variety of straps so can use it for any situation
    Keep looking at that also, would be nice to have the bracelet too so really allow for multiple wears

Just seen this on SC, don't know much about CW, I am sure I used to see them in advertise in the papers like 20 years ago

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...sor-Ocean-Blue

Craftsman
    I'd go for a pre owned BB58 in Blue. Shouldn't be more than £2.2k

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Longines Spirit. Just look at it. Prettier than an Aqua Terra and comes in many colours and sizes.
    Last edited by abraxas; 9th May 2022 at 17:00.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

I like both the Longines and the Rado. Perhaps the Rado a little more, because the Longines goes for the super compressor look without actually being a super compressor. Having said that, I do like some of the colour options Longines offers, especially the dark red gradiant dial. Another option would be an Oris Aquis.

The 2254 speedmaster was always the classic goto, timeless. I acquired a great white seamaster GMT for just slightly over your budget recently, it’s a belter.

Master
    Pre-loved Tudor Black Bay 41? Explorer vibes in a larger case.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    The 2254 speedmaster was always the classic goto, timeless. I acquired a great white seamaster GMT for just slightly over your budget recently, it’s a belter.
    I am thinking maybe go to £3k

There’s a Rolex Air King that I keep looking at, birth year too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Pre-loved Tudor Black Bay 41? Explorer vibes in a larger case.

Yes that’s true, might have a better look at those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never understood why people spend the money on a Rado CC personally.

Few great options on SC for well under your budget that I would take any day of the week over the above. Examples;

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...champagne-dial
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...erstellar-42mm

If it were me making the decision I would either go for a GS HAQ or push the bit extra for a BB58.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I've never understood why people spend the money on a Rado CC personally.

Few great options on SC for well under your budget that I would take any day of the week over the above. Examples;

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...champagne-dial
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...erstellar-42mm

If it were me making the decision I would either go for a GS HAQ or push the bit extra for a BB58.
    Just something about GS that I don’t like.

Why are you not a fan of the Rado CC?

The BB58 keeps popping up in the comments here

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    That's a great looking watch.

Quote Originally Posted by burton View Post
    Just something about GS that I don’t like.

Why are you not a fan of the Rado CC?

The BB58 keeps popping up in the comments here

Just nothing about the Rado works for me. An entirely personal opinion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Maurice Lacroix Aikon (or Aikon Venturer). Available on leather, rubber or bracelet, different colours.

Some samples...

Why? Because nice watches, look good, good value for money.
    Ugh. And once promoted by that arbiter of style, fashion and taste; Bob Geldof.

Not forgetting their MD, the man with the cool pineapple trousers.

Godawful.

David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Just not sure I am a fan of Sinn

Looking at Seamaster's again not sure I really like them

An interesting watch, will look more into this

Keep looking at that also, would be nice to have the bracelet too so really allow for multiple wears

Just seen this on SC, don't know much about CW, I am sure I used to see them in advertise in the papers like 20 years ago

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...sor-Ocean-Blue
    Fair enough, good luck. Will be interested to see what you go for.

For me from my early teens it was always the Seamaster, as time went by though I personally found it because less of a 'tool' dive watch and starting edging more to towards form over function. Saw a U1 one day, and that was that for me.

Just wish I'd been in a position to get hold of one sooner, when I first saw them I think they came in at around £800 - £900 in the UK.
    When I finally managed to get my hands on one last year, it was a little bit more than that. :)

Journeyman
    In that budget range an Omega Seamaster Pro, lots of different styles and great pre owned examples out there in sales corner or good dealers.

As to why, then for me it's a classic and more affordable than a Rolex which is my lottery win choice.

Rgds

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
    Fair enough, good luck. Will be interested to see what you go for.

For me from my early teens it was always the Seamaster, as time went by though I personally found it because less of a 'tool' dive watch and starting edging more to towards form over function. Saw a U1 one day, and that was that for me.

Just wish I'd been in a position to get hold of one sooner, when I first saw them I think they came in at around £800 - £900 in the UK.
    When I finally managed to get my hands on one last year, it was a little bit more than that. :)
    I went to wanting a Navitimer in my teens and then got one, sold for a holiday that seemed to be a waste of time and have regretted it!!

Thinking I am wondering if I need to up my budget....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Yarrow View Post
    In that budget range an Omega Seamaster Pro, lots of different styles and great pre owned examples out there in sales corner or good dealers.

As to why, then for me it's a classic and more affordable than a Rolex which is my lottery win choice.

Rgds

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk
    Another for a SMP, just not sure I like them, love the Bond version but then thats reassuringly expensive for my budget.

Thinking about going older or even British, different brand to the Pinion I had recently.

Second hand SMP or SMPc (last generation) if you budget can push for that. Or the BB58 again if you can up your budget.

Master
    What about a MBii?

These seem very interesting watches

Master
    A used IWC MK Series Pilots Watch? I picked up a MK XVII and it’s a great watch. Fits the bill of dressing up or down very easily. Mine came on the bracelet, but took that off immediately and put on a strap. Works well on NATOs and leather.

Last edited by neebsta; 12th May 2022 at 07:20.

Master
    Of the two you mention, whichever one you d#mn well like. Both are decent brands with perhaps the longines having slightly higher cachet if that’s your thing. I actually prefer the Rado but wouldn’t kick the Longines out of my collection.

As the s.o.p. seems to be to chuck suggestions both out of budget and style in your general direction, I’ll throw Ulysse Nardins hat into the ring as well. The marine deck watch is a stone cold classic and vaguely in your budget 2nd hand, as is the dual time. The marine diver is closer to what you want but is definitely over budget. I could wax lyrical on the virtues of the brand and why they are the bargain of the century given their heritage but won’t.

Good luck with your quest, the only real bit of advice anyone should be giving is, make appointments and go try stuff on. When you find what you want you won’t need to ask questions on here about it, it’ll be on your wrist and your bank account will be lighter.

If you decide to favour the Rado, this offer may be of interest.

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Rado-Ca...203/p/17680703

Master
    You should look at lesser known brands like this:

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    If you decide to favour the Rado, this offer may be of interest.

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Rado-Ca...203/p/17680703
    Looks like a decent deal! If a similar one comes up for the longines OP will almost be able to afford both :)

For what its worth a used Panerai Base or Logo should be around at that price. Strap monsters so could be dressed up or down. Or as a previous suggestion a GS used or maybe slightly higher with a healthy discount.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post

This. I have a few watches in this price range including Tudor / Omega. I can honestly say this is the best after countless rotations for me. The Tudor ETA BB comes a close second but they will be hard to source at 2k.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    I like both the Longines and the Rado. Perhaps the Rado a little more, because the Longines goes for the super compressor look without actually being a super compressor. Having said that, I do like some of the colour options Longines offers, especially the dark red gradiant dial. Another option would be an Oris Aquis.

That’s a stunning looking watch, but unfortunately the lugs are too long for me

Master
    Thinking that I might up my budget by an extra £1k. After looking at SMP's I am not sure I like them, so don't want to purchase to find out the hard way.

Keep looking at older watches and seem to keep getting drawn to Carrera's!

Oh and many thanks for everyone who has taken the time to read this and reply or message me!!

Blog Entries
    After looking at SMP's I am not sure I like them, so don't want to purchase to find out the hard way.
    Not difficult to find one second hand and sell it on if you don't like it, perhaps.

I bought a SMP several years ago on this basis and still have it. It's not my favourite watch but I don't think I'd sell it now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Not difficult to find one second hand and sell it on if you don't like it, perhaps.

I bought a SMP several years ago on this basis and still have it. It's not my favourite watch but I don't think I'd sell it now.
    True, but not sure I want to try that road if I don’t bond with it (no pun) and then sell it etc

Spirit Zulu Time. Slightly over budget, but otherwise, what’s not to like?

Blog Entries
    ^^^ Longines don't usually move me but I like the look of that, especially the green bezel one and the blue on blue one.

P.S. Is this a new model?
    Last edited by markrlondon; 19th May 2022 at 02:50.