closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Genuinely considering a Dacia Jogger

Genuinely considering a Dacia Jogger

Not looking for help, more admitting my problems!

Current garage is a C63 Merc wagon and a Kia Picanto - the yin and yang of driving. The Merc is a lovely beast - it's white, and we call it Moby Dick. The Kia is blue, and my kids call it Clownie, for clown-car. They each serve a purpose. The Merc makes me feel cool, and is fast enough. The Kia is practical.

But an alternative way of doing that particular split would be to get a practical car that's bigger, and a cool car that's smaller. This would, of course, allow me to get an MX5 and to shut up the forum car experts! (Or a Fiat 124, or a etc etc)

But the Jogger does something that the C63 makes me do - it makes me laugh! It's just so... ridiculously cheap. So much car for so little cash, I smile just thinking about it!

Basic Joggers are just over £15k, top out at under £18k. No options apart from spare tyre and a tow bar. NCAP safety isn't great, but mainly because they lack electronic nannies - structurally, they're fine. There is an excellent CarWow review on YT (does anyone else love Matt Watson's reviews?)

So, anyone got one? I'm off for a test drive on Monday - I'll take my kids, as they have the final say. If they can't get comfortable, then the car doesn't work for me.

Master
    Be careful - they have a 1Star rating by ncap the safety guys.

Yeah, they do, but a) that's for the Sandero (on which the Jogger is based), and b) is mainly due to the poor electronic aids for the driver.

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/dacia/jogger/45231

Master
    Blog Entries
    I read they lost a star as they don’t have a beeper telling you rear seatbelt is done up - if true that seems unduly harsh. Can9t the driver just ask the passengers?

Hope the test drive goes well, The Oldie rates them.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    The Oldie rates them.
    Shit is that the stage of life that I'm at now? 0_o

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I was recently replacing my wife's Merc ageing but beloved B170 and seriously considered them, before my wife had an opinion. Mind you, she ended up choosing a Mitsubishi Lancer, which is bloody strange car for the school run.

1205kg for a seven-seat estate/SUV. Autocar gave it four out of five stars in its Road Test and they seem to love it. I know someone who has one coming and he can't wait, much for the same reasons as you.
    "A man of little significance"

I heard they won’t be available till dec 2022
    Look excellent value for money

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Not looking for help, more admitting my problems!

Current garage is a C63 Merc wagon and a Kia Picanto - the yin and yang of driving. The Merc is a lovely beast - it's white, and we call it Moby Dick. The Kia is blue, and my kids call it Clownie, for clown-car. They each serve a purpose. The Merc makes me feel cool, and is fast enough. The Kia is practical.

But an alternative way of doing that particular split would be to get a practical car that's bigger, and a cool car that's smaller. This would, of course, allow me to get an MX5 and to shut up the forum car experts! (Or a Fiat 124, or a etc etc)

But the Jogger does something that the C63 makes me do - it makes me laugh! It's just so... ridiculously cheap. So much car for so little cash, I smile just thinking about it!

Basic Joggers are just over £15k, top out at under £18k. No options apart from spare tyre and a tow bar. NCAP safety isn't great, but mainly because they lack electronic nannies - structurally, they're fine. There is an excellent CarWow review on YT (does anyone else love Matt Watson's reviews?)

So, anyone got one? I'm off for a test drive on Monday - I'll take my kids, as they have the final say. If they can't get comfortable, then the car doesn't work for me.

Where’s the test drive pal. ? Warwick ? I’d be interested to know your thoughts

Master
    If I remember correctly it’s only a 1.0L three cylinder engine. That seems very small for a seven seater.

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    I heard they won’t be available till dec 2022
    Look excellent value for money
    Where’s the test drive pal. ? Warwick ? I’d be interested to know your thoughts
    The salesman said somewhere about July, which seems OK. And who here doesn't trust car salesmen? Leamington dealer. Will let you know. Taking my kids along - if they can't get on with the car, then it's a non-starter for me - buy cars for all of us, not just me.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    If I remember correctly it’s only a 1.0L three cylinder engine. That seems very small for a seven seater.
    Reviews say that it's perky with only the driver, and a bit sluggish seven-up. Empty, it's only 1250kg, or something like that, so it's not a porker.

I have only read excellent reviews in the motoring press. Yes only 1 star on Euro NCAP, but as already mentioned lost a star for no seat belt detection in the third row on cost and ease of seat removal grounds. It’s likely an inherently safe car but without automatic city braking etc looses stars, it doesn’t bother me. I have read that due to the very modest kerb weight the peppy 1.0 turbo petrol offers more than adequate and sprightly performance. Ultimately it is a very spacious 7 seater from £15-£18k new with a warranty. I have even heard there could be a micro camper version which I really fancy. Auto Express rated this car 5 out of 5. Putting badge snobbery and technological safety out of the equation it’s an amazing car. It is one of the few ICE cars I would buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Be careful - they have a 1Star rating by ncap the safety guys.
    While factually correct, it is not about people protection. Read the first comment on the Car Wow review for further details.

The Car Wow review thinks it is one of the best cars in the world, which for £17k+ for the top of the range model, you can’t argue with.

Basically a Skoda, before Skoda became too expensive.

https://youtu.be/xIlpu-JEkL4

It's just so... ridiculously cheap.

Basic Joggers are just over £15k
    That doesn't compute in my world.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    I had a Dacia as a company car it drove ok but was very noisy at motorway speeds

Master
    Over on ph there is a well contributed to thread about the duster which uses the same 1.0 turbo triple and to a man they are happy with them.

The Mrs is running a civic 1.0 turbo at present and I’ll be suggesting the duster when it’s time for that to go.

Master
    I read an article that Dacia are dropping their basic spec Sandero ( something like £7999 otr) to move themselves up mkt. Their penetration of the mkt with Duster and Sandero has been very successful. They were likened to the notoriety of Kia & Hyundai five years ago. The Jogger was cited as one of their breakthrough products to widen appeal further. Certainly a brand to watch.

Where I live in North Wales as soon as you head out into the hills you will rarely drive more than 10 / 15 mins before a Duster covered in mud passes you.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Over on ph there is a well contributed to thread about the duster which uses the same 1.0 turbo triple and to a man they are happy with them.

The Mrs is running a civic 1.0 turbo at present and I’ll be suggesting the duster when it’s time for that to go.
    There is indeed. https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...0&f=&t=1984850 The appeal as a family wagon/ bike carrier with the rear bench out does appeal, plus top out at 114mph when the battery lot are limited too 99

Master
    That seems like a lot of car for the money but the teeny power plant in a big car might not be as good as it seems on the face of it, very cheap and cheerful though and a fun name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve ordered the mid range range comfort model
    With metallic paint £18500.
    The cheapest model is around £17000
    All the reviews saying they start at £15000
    Must be out of date all ready
    I was pleasantly surprised on the test drive.
    Sept delivery.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That seems like a lot of car for the money but the teeny power plant in a big car might not be as good as it seems on the face of it, very cheap and cheerful though and a fun name

Cheap enough to drive it like you stole it for 5 years then buy another.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    That doesn't compute in my world.
    You and me both!

I’ve ordered the mid range range comfort model
    With metallic paint £18500.
    The cheapest model is around £17000
    All the reviews saying they start at £15000
    Must be out of date all ready
    I was pleasantly surprised on the test drive.
    Sept delivery.
    Ha, makes a change from your Boxster!

Got the test drive on Monday, and will report back!

EDIT -I think that, seven up, the one litre will be sluggish, but empty, it's only a 1200kg car, and 200NM or torque is not too shabby.

Ha, makes a change from your Boxster!

Got the test drive on Monday, and will report back!

EDIT -I think that, seven up, the one litre will be sluggish, but empty, it's only a 1200kg car, and 200NM or torque is not too shabby.
    On the test drive today there were 4 adults in the car. And it was fine
    Nothing fast but adequate. You can get 7 adults in the car I’d say

Master
    Blog Entries
    When I get in my car I want to feel quality end of, Dacia would not cut it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    When I get in my car I want to feel quality end of, Dacia would not cut it for me.
    When I get in my car, sod car trinkets, I prefer reliability end of; Audi, Jag, JLR, Merc or BMW would not cut it for me.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/most-a...-revealed#gref

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    When I get in my car, sod car trinkets, I prefer reliability end of; Audi, Jag, JLR, Merc or BMW would not cut it for me.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/most-a...-revealed#gref
    Each to their own. I have had five BMWs and apart from the EGR valve on one car never had a problem. Speak as you find

Never understand these reliability surveys, I think it just shows that luxury cars have more gadgets to go wrong as many many of these cars have the same mechanical bits anyway

Don't Merc and Dacia share engines for example.

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xxnick1975; 8th May 2022 at 06:52.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Talking to someone who has a Dacia. She says the wipers decide to stop every now and then. Fuel gauge stopped working. A few other things she mentioned I can't remember. She can't wait to get rid but it still starts and goes.

Blog Entries
    How long is their warranty? Those kind of issues should be covered.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    How long is their warranty? Those kind of issues should be covered.
    3y 60000m. 3 y roadside assistance

I have a Dacia 7 seater from ‘14 and it’s just crossed 200k km. other than regular service and replacement of worn parts it’s had no work done and no issues. Fuel economy is good as well.
    It looks like a fridge that’s fallen over and it won’t impress anyone for speed, but its very nice to have a car where I don’t worry what the kids are dragging into it..

Never understood those who think the surveys are crap because their 'unreliable' car isn't or are unhappy that their car brand is maligned by the surveys.

It's not your wife, if someone else is rude about your car, does it really matter?

Master
    3y 60000m. 3 y roadside assistance
    Sell it at the end of year 3 !!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Sell it at the end of year 3 !!!!
    Ideal car to have on a PCP so you can get rid when the warranty expires.

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Ideal car to have on a PCP so you can get rid when the warranty expires.
    Pcp deal Is 250 quid deposit and 250 a month

On the test drive today there were 4 adults in the car. And it was fine
    Nothing fast but adequate. You can get 7 adults in the car I’d say
    Cayman GT4, Boxster........ to this?

Have you lost your senses man?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

Haha. Think I have mate.
    It’s gonna be for the mrs to ferry the kids about I think.
    But this evening she’s saying she doesn’t really like it now

Sounds like Dacias' asking for almost Skoda money now which doesn't compute.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Sounds like Dacias' asking for almost Skoda money now which doesn't compute.
    The cheapest 7 seat Skoda is over £10k more than the Dacia

The cheapest 7 seat Skoda is over £10k more than the Dacia
    For obvious reasons TBH - much better in terms of quality and durability.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

For obvious reasons TBH - much better in terms of quality and durability.
    I agree Chris

I had a VW Touran when the kids were small - with 2 decent sized seats that pop out of the rear floor and all manner of seat configurations available as the seats all move around and unclip. Reviews were always a bit meh but in spite of looking like a van it drive like a Golf and nothing ever went wrong. We had a 2.0 tdi and liked it so much we replaced it with a new 1.6tdi which sipped diesel and also never missed a beat. I’d get a decent secondhand one of those any day over the Dacia tbh

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Don't Merc and Dacia share engines for example.
    It's a Nissan engine; various engine models are shared by Merc, Dacia, Renault and Nissan.

The Jogger as an evolution of the Dacia Logan, which was also popular with journos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_HR_engine#H4Dt

Master
    Blog Entries
    Haha. Think I have mate.
    It’s gonna be for the mrs to ferry the kids about I think.
    But this evening she’s saying she doesn’t really like it now
    A woman with sense.

OK, so took my kids out this afternoon for a test drive in the Jogger. I also took my FIL, because why not? and he's a nosy old fella.

I was pleasantly surprised by the car. It was far nippier than I expected it to be - 200NM of torque isn't to be sniffed at - despite being five up (including the salesperson.) Lots of room - silly, ridiculous amount of room. My ten-year-old daughter was in the third row and was very happy there.

I think I've just missed a price increase (of course) and all colours other than white (on the range-topper) are a £600 premium. Will sleep on it, but I think I'm going to try one.

Master
    LOL, I went from a Boxster S to a Suzuki Jimny back in 2008 !!!!

maseman

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maseman View Post
    LOL, I went from a Boxster S to a Suzuki Jimny back in 2008 !!!!

maseman
    Ohhhh I bet that hurt

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    It's a Nissan engine; various engine models are shared by Merc, Dacia, Renault and Nissan.

The Jogger as an evolution of the Dacia Logan, which was also popular with journos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_HR_engine#H4Dt
    It might be a Nissan engine but it’s got French electronics and management which usually spells trouble
    Great value no denying it but I’d PCP it and get shot after the warranty expires if I ever had to have one

No question the value but the longevity over a good vw or bmw for example is debatable

For those of you following along at home, I've just paid the deposit on a top-spec EXTREME SE (lol) Jogger in "Glacier White" - all the other colours were a £600 extra. (£600? I've bought cars for less than that!) I'll update the thread now and then when I get news, or ETAs.