closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Micro brands

Master

Micro brands

Goodmorning all,

I was wondering what people’s opninion is about micro brands.

Maen watches have some nice models like the Manhatten. There is this Reiser Alpen which looks nice. And many more. All up to EUR 1.000.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    Goodmorning all,

I was wondering what people’s opninion is about micro brands.

Maen watches have some nice models like the Manhatten. There is this Reiser Alpen which looks nice. And many more. All up to EUR 1.000.
    Some very nice micro brands out there, particularly those that stop short of just copying designs.

Have enjoyed owning Armida, Ocean7, Vratislavia Conceptum, Obris Morgan etc.

Craftsman
    I'm hoping I'm doing this right, but this thread on Best Bang for Buck Microbrands might be helpful.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Best bang for buck micro brands

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

I’ve had a few ,armida,magrette,steinhart,prs,many more I can’t remember,but I usually always have one in the collection.
    I don’t think I’ve ever been disappointed with any I’ve had .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The lion's share of my watches over the years have been micro-brands.

I've owned Halios, Armida, Benarus, Helson, Raven & a few others I can't think of just now. Obviously some are better than others but none have ever been a complete letdown in the way I felt about more established brands like Steinhart & Christopher Ward.

The finishing on Halios & Raven for example was excellent on the watches I own(ed) & in general you can get decent specs at a reasonable price.

Master
    I've owned quite a few as well and never had a problem, Helson, Halios, Armida, Nite, Zelso, Helberg etc. Good fun for not a lot of cash, still trying to get me hands on an Obris Morgan Infinity though.....been trying since 2017!

Micro brands

Out of my collection of 17 watches, 6 of them are microbrands. They include PRS, Borealis, Offshore Professional, Maranez, OceanX and Gruppo Gamma.

My PRS-2 Dreadnought is an absolute icon, the Offshore Professional is a fabulous and totally unique watch and the Gruppo Gamma punches way above its weight. While the OceanX is a direct homage to the DSSD James Cameron (which some people are uncomfortable with), the quality of the watch is quite astonishing. Both the other two are enjoyable watches at sensible prices.

I have had other microbrands in the past with equally positive experiences.

Sometimes Kickstarter watches can be a real gamble, but I would suggest that most established microbrands add a real richness and variety to the watch landscape.

Simon
    Last edited by mycroft; 9th May 2022 at 18:46.

Master
    That sounds nice.

I might just buy one like that Maen Manhatten. It looks fun to do something else than buying another well known watch brand.

Master
    I've owned alot of micros over the years. Those that have stuck out for me are:

- Kingsbury: just extremely good value

- Kronos: just lovely watches, and really good value. Hard to find now though

- Orsa: the Sea Angler is just a bit different for a diver

- Timefactors: Eddies are probably the best bang for buck out there

- Geckota: a lot of lovely watch for the money

- Visitor: really unusual case designs

Craftsman
    My latest microbrand- the Clemence Photic diver. Enjoying so far.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    I've owned alot of micros over the years. Those that have stuck out for me are:

- Kingsbury: just extremely good value
    Don't suppose you have an Atlantic or a Diplomat you could part with? :-)

There are a few micro brands that I like, however I wish more would start using other movements rather than the NH ones most seem to use.

Master
    Early offerings by Crepas were great quality and good value. I’m thinking of the El Buzo GMT and the Tektite dive watch in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    There are a few micro brands that I like, however I wish more would start using other movements rather than the NH ones most seem to use.
    I agree with this, my experience with NH35's hasnt been good (no reliability issues just rubbish regulation and beat error) and Miyota which is the popular alternative isnt much if at all better - Ive had lots of micro brands but now restrict any interest to original designs based usually on Sellita or sometimes Soprod movements which does add to the cost and moves some into the territory occupied by established brands as used buys or even CW who some may think of as being a microbrand. Horses for courses really.
    Keith

I have tried loads, and loved most of them.
    RZE, Armida, Tactico (part of Crepas), Timefactors, Helson, Siduna, Halios, Newmark, Alkin etc etc.
    All have offered a degree of specification unknown at the pricepoint in major brands, whether that be in terms of fully lumed sapphire or ceramic bezel, case coatings, or whatever. Larger makers in the normal Seiko price range (including Seiko) should take note.
    On the downside, I have had one Kickstarter fail completely, and one current one is delayed, but will complete, I have no doubt.
    Recently I have got at least as much pleasure from a relatively constant churn of cheaper micro-brands than larger purchases.

Craftsman
    Best microbrand watches or not...but I was looking for some watch reviews the other day and this page came up:
    https://teddybaldassarre.com/blogs/w...complete-guide

From personal experience could suggest Tourby.
    Last edited by Soom; 11th May 2022 at 17:01.

Master
    Great posts all, thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    I agree with this, my experience with NH35's hasnt been good (no reliability issues just rubbish regulation and beat error) and Miyota which is the popular alternative isnt much if at all better - Ive had lots of micro brands but now restrict any interest to original designs based usually on Sellita or sometimes Soprod movements which does add to the cost and moves some into the territory occupied by established brands as used buys or even CW who some may think of as being a microbrand. Horses for courses really.
    Keith
    Which brands use those better movements like Sellita and Soprod? Are there any with ETA? Thhe movement is something I bare in mind choosing a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Soom View Post
    Best microbrand watches or not...but I was looking for some watch reviews the other day and this page came up:
    https://teddybaldassarre.com/blogs/w...complete-guide

From personal experience could suggest Tourby.
    Wonderful find

Keith
    In all fairness I have stopped buying watches with NH35 movements, they are really the cheapest of the cheap and as you say regulation is all over the place. Just seems a shame that these Microbrands set up a business, design some nice watches and then stick some crappy movement in. From my point of view if I want a watch with this movement I can pick up an Invicta for £80 without buying some Micro brand costing 4 or 5 times the amount. I guess they buy the movements in bulk for £20 a time, giving them a bigger profit rather than put something better in and charging a bit more.

I'm surprised that people have had such problem with NH3* movements.

I've had, and still have, quite a few watches with these movements. Too many to have just been lucky.

All have had good timekeeping and beat error, some of the better watches (Helm and Nodus) which appear to have been regulated are excellent.

The NH3* is cheap because it's mass produced, but I don't believe it's fundamentally a poor movement in terms of performance.

The positive is that if/when it fails you can cheaply drop in a replacement.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I'm surprised that people have had such problem with NH3* movements.

I've had, and still have, quite a few watches with these movements. Too many to have just been lucky.

All have had good timekeeping and beat error, some of the better watches (Helm and Nodus) which appear to have been regulated are excellent.

The NH3* is cheap because it's mass produced, but I don't believe it's fundamentally a poor movement in terms of performance.

The positive is that if/when it fails you can cheaply drop in a replacement.

M

I completely agree. I currently have 3 watches with NH35 movements and my experience of them has been uniformly positive. Both my Sharkey Tuna and my Borealis Scout Sniper are consistently accurate to within 10 seconds per day (which is significantly better than specification), while my OceanX lose precisely 1.2 seconds per day and has done ever since it arrived. Ironically (since it’s a homage to the DSSD) it’s more accurate than my actual DSSD which loses 2 seconds per day!

It may not be a hugely sophisticated movement but it’s clearly capable of being well regulated with a little effort, which better microbrands are clearly prepared to put in.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I completely agree. I currently have 3 watches with NH35 movements and my experience of them has been uniformly positive. Both my Sharkey Tuna and my Borealis Scout Sniper are consistently accurate to within 10 seconds per day (which is significantly better than specification), while my OceanX lose precisely 1.2 seconds per day and has done ever since it arrived. Ironically (since it’s a homage to the DSSD) it’s more accurate than my actual DSSD which loses 2 seconds per day!

It may not be a hugely sophisticated movement but it’s clearly capable of being well regulated with a little effort, which better microbrands are clearly prepared to put in.

Simon
    Luck clearly plays a part (it shouldnt), like you ive had countless watches with NH movements and none (no exaggeration) has failed to disappoint and to the comment about regulation, these arent easy movements to regulate, Ive tried and regardless of effort you cant regulate out the dramatic positional variation which is down to design and manufacturing failings. What I have seen is microbrands and cheaper Chinese makers lowering the beat error compared to Seikos own watches which does show that they can be improved beyond the factory offering. I said they are reliable, never had one fail, but I presume the same was true of the Trabant. Clearly millions of buyers are happy with NH based watches, I’m not one of them and wouldnt again buy a watch that uses the movement.
    Keith

I've been delving into micro brands recently. There are many that I do like but having a relatively small wrist I stay below 40mm case sizes.

As such I have been very satisfied with

1/ Maen
    2/ echo/neutra
    3/ Farer

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Luck clearly plays a part (it shouldnt), like you ive had countless watches with NH movements and none (no exaggeration) has failed to disappoint and to the comment about regulation, these arent easy movements to regulate, Ive tried and regardless of effort you cant regulate out the dramatic positional variation which is down to design and manufacturing failings. What I have seen is microbrands and cheaper Chinese makers lowering the beat error compared to Seikos own watches which does show that they can be improved beyond the factory offering. I said they are reliable, never had one fail, but I presume the same was true of the Trabant. Clearly millions of buyers are happy with NH based watches, I’m not one of them and wouldnt again buy a watch that uses the movement.
    Keith
    Countless? When did you lose count?

Failed to disappoint in what respect? Were you expecting unreasonable performance?

Surely any watch with 'dramatic positional variance' by design would not keep good time and yet many NH3* watches do.

You can personally discount anything you like, but somehow your claims that the 4R15 is a bad movement by design doesn't stack up.

There's a lot of snobbery about the NH3* movement. You may not be guilty of it, but you make some big claims there. Is there evidence to support them?

M

Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    Maen watches have some nice models like the Manhatten.
    Of the micro-brands I have used, Maen was the most disappointing. The inevitable wait (for a Skymaster 38 pre-order) was exacerbated by minimal communication until enough people complained. The watch was good but disappointing in a few details. The most disappointing aspect was the poor attention to international shipping. Maen would have saved me a small fee and several days' waiting if they had simply provided documentation (materials, origin, value et al) for customs purposes. That was poor form, methinks.

Hoffman and Lorier both exceeded my expectations with regard to watch quality and service.

Craftsman
    From the brands mentioned above I only have a Helson Sharkdiver I bought 2nd hand, and it feels like a quality piece and a lot of watch for not too much money.

I've been very impressed with the quality of the Scurfa, Geckota, Helgray and Spinnaker watches I own/ed.