closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Travel Insurance Recommendation: Claims

Travel Insurance Recommendation: Claims

Does anyone have a recommendation for Travel Insurance please?

I've had a look on 'Which?' and 'Money Saving Expert' as well as other websites, and they all recommend providers based on what they're policy covers.

However, when looking at reviews on Trust Pilot for every single Travel Insurance provider, the reviews for 'ease of use', 'level of cover', 'website' etc are good; but the reviews for people that have actually made a claim are abysmal. Customers have reported claims that have dragged on for over 5 months, companies not answering phone calls, not returning calls; basically using every trick in the book to get out of processing/paying out.

Does anyone have any real recommendations, that they have used, and made a claim on successfully, and it actually came through?

If making a claim is so difficult/ impossible, then what's the point in taking out insurance in the first place?

Thanks in advance.

Master
    Think we’ve claimed four times.

Insure&go- nightmare and took 6 mths. Would never recommend them.

AXA- through Lloyds Bank Premier Account. Excellent, took days

Allianz- through Lloyds Bank Premier Account (they have just changed insurer). Currently claiming and so far not impressed. Taken three weeks, told me they had everything they needed and then came back asking for something else. Can’t advise when they will get round to assessing and paying.

Aviva- OK and paid within reasonable period of time

I bank with First Direct and pay £15 a month for first directory, which includes travel insurance.

The services is actually offered by Aviva and I have been unfortunate enough to use their claims service.

Broke my wrist in 2020, the 700EU claim settled there and then on the phone, no invoices/receipts required.

More recently spent a week in a French hospital, surgery the full works. They sorted out everything including repatriation. Got home and due to injury had to cancel 2 more holidays, settled immediately without question. The claim for expenses, curtailment etc have all been paid (with receipts), although that took 3 months to settle. All in about 7k, no idea what the medical costs were, but I had a GHIC, so they would be liable for 80% I guess.

I cannot fault their service, although last time I called them it took over an hour to answer, which was unusual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I've had to claim with Virgin Money insurance when my wife was rushed to hospital in Teneriffe and had to undergo surgery. They were excellent, sorted out everything quickly while we were in hospital and every time I called them, and gave the case number, I was passed over to the same person each time who knew what was happening (this made it so much easier). Payment made to the private hospital while we were there then I put a claim in for having to stay at the hotel an extra 3 nights (wife wasn't allowed to fly on our planned return date) and for medication when I got home. Monies paid quickly into my bank, also got an extra £20 per day back.

Master
    Insured with Coverwise which was AXA in 2020 for a trip to New Zealand. Short version of a long story was we were stranded as the first lock down kicked in.

We got the last SingaporeAir flight out of Auckland before they quit flying for months. On arrival at Auckland airport it was clear that the flight was going to be full, there was to be no change of flight at Changri airport. Just a refuel and crew change. The prospect of 30 hours on one plane in economy filled is with dread. I upgraded us into Business as my Wife was recovering from cancer. This was declared in the insurance proposal.

I claimed for the upgrade and the hotel accommodation costs before flying home as we had been delayed. It took a couple of months of tooing and froing but AXA did pay out the full amount.

I would definitely use them again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never claimed but have always gone for the cheapest quote.
    Well, I say I've never claimed, we tried to claim with Admiral last year due to a holiday being missed because of covid restrictions in France. My MIL managed to claim for the same trip through Churchill who were very helpful.
    We are now with Churchill.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Both AXA and First Direct travel insurance is closed to new customers.

Virgin are not taking any new business either; apparently they've reached their 'premium cap', whatever that means.
    I can still get Virgin through a comparison website: https://www.medicaltravelcompared.co.uk/ but something bothers me.
    Virgin Travel Insurance states that: "you and all persons to be insured will obtain any recommended vaccines, inoculations, or medications prior to your trip"
    This worries me, as my kids are not vaccinated against Coronavirus. And I wouldn't want the insurance to be invalid on a 'technicality' considering children aged 5 and above are being offered the vaccination.