closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice on a holiday to Ireland

Advice on a holiday to Ireland

Think we want to try a week or 10 day holiday in Ireland. Never been before and looking for some advice

Firstly we live Manchester area so advice on ferry crossings which seem to be from Holyhead or Liverpool. Liverpool closer but seems much slower ferries than from Holyhead

We would like to take the car so we have bit of freedom and stay in perhaps 3 places for 2 or 3 nights in each.

Any advice on places and hotels welcome. We like country house style hotels, nice restaurants and the outdoors.

Probably looking at going mid July.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Lucky you ,
    We've always gone Holyhead to Dún Laoghaire as it's so quick, as for accommodation there's so many options - you'll have a great time.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

You might want to check out the Ring of Kerry, it's touristy but rather spectacular. I loved going to Killarney National Park, mostly because the vegetation and landscape reminded me of continental Europe (which I missed a lot when all hillwalking trips started looking the same).

Hit Belfast city centre and Titanic quarter all within walking distance. Giants Causeway and beautiful A2 coastal drive can all be done within a day. You'll drive past Carrickfergus with it's 800 year old castle. The coastal drive was once voted 4th most beautiful landscape in the world.

Happy to point in right direction if you travel North.

Definitely Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire, much better, quicker and more frequent crossings.
    For 10 nights I’d be tempted to stay in Dublin for a couple of days, then travel west to Athlone for a night before heading out to Westport and Castlebar . I’d then be looking at day trips to places like Galway or Sligo .
    There are that many stunning places on this coast that you’ll never go short of trips out or things to do.
    It’s an old but extremely true fact that the welcome in all these parts is legendary.
    Get the right weather and you wouldn’t think of holidaying anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Guz View Post
    Happy to point in right direction if you travel North.
    I hope nobody misinterprets this :)

Here are some decent restaurants anyway: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...reland#Current

Are you travelling with children, or just a partner?

Master

Hi op

For the outdoors a walk up Croagh Patrick is nice and the Salthill diving board at Galway is good fun. Castlebar and Westport are both lovely.
    Last edited by johny; 4th May 2022 at 17:30.

Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
    Here are some decent restaurants anyway: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...reland#Current

Are you travelling with children, or just a partner?
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Just me and the Mrs

I agree with this ferry route. As for places to stay, both north and south are stunning in their own way but I’d stay in the south. My itinerary would look something like this. Spend some time in Dublin then pootle over to Sligo for stunning scenery, walks, stone cairns and beautiful people. Then meander down to Galway for more of the same. A shortish but stunning drive down to Cork for even more of the same, with the final trip back to Dublin, taking in the coast route with maybe a short stopover in Wicklow. We’re looking to do a short version of this in the summer, expanding on previous trips going from Armagh in the north to Sligo, Galway and Dublin in the south. Whatever you choose, it’ll be outstanding I’m sure!

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Lucky you ,
    We've always gone Holyhead to Dún Laoghaire as it's so quick, as for accommodation there's so many options - you'll have a great time.

Craftsman
    I’ve driven and gone by plane. I’d recommend flying into Shannon and hire a car. Western Ireland is my preference especially South Western Cork. A little further north to Ring of Kerry, Killarney. Beautiful parts of Ireland.

If ferry then Holyhead to Dun Loaghaire is best. I’m from Liverpool but we always drove to Holyhead.

I’ll go against the flow and suggest the overnight ferry between Liverpool and Belfast on the outward journey. You board about 2200 and get off 0700 the next morning. This allows you to finish work and travel overnight, arriving in Belfast the next morning.

As suggested, spend 1-2 days in the north, Belfast and north coast is one option and then head into the south. Donegal is spectacular but so are plenty of other parts of the south. An alternative would be to head south out of Belfast towards Newcastle and the Mourne Mountains. This route will take you to Newry and it’s only an hours drive to Dublin.

If you are anywhere near the west coast, I would strongly recommend picking up part of the Wild Atlantic Way. It’s a 1600 mile coastal drive with some of Irelands best scenery and provides a real insight into rural Ireland at its best.

I’m not a huge fan of Dublin as I find it expensive for what it is but most people rave about it. Plenty to see in other cities like Cork and Galway but for me, the beauty of Ireland is the scenery and the people.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/t...-atlantic-way-

I'd echo a few of the suggestions here - Westport area in Mayo is very nice, Achill Island. Dingle area in Kerry. West Cork is amazing if the weather is pleasant. Kilkenny is possibly the most complete medieval city in the country, lots of history there. Kinsale and Cork City are worth a trip too, depending on where else you are.

No mentioned of Connemara yet?
    Stunning country side, fantastic beaches, lots to see and do.
    I would stay a day or two in Galway or use it as a base for visiting the west of Ireland, it’s a great town with great food and good crac.

I took a road trip around Ireland in '18 choosing the morning ferry from Holyhead to Dublin (driving up from Essex the previous day) then stopped at the Rock of Cashel on the way down to Blarney where I stayed for two or three nights at The Muskerry Arms. Great place to stay, it's opposite Blarney Castle and a short drive into Cork, the Midleton Distillery is worth a visit nearby as well.

I then drove west and around the Ring of Kerry and surrounding areas staying in Killarney for a night, I should have stayed for two! The Dingle Peninsula was next, the highlights being Inch and Slea Head Beaches, Dingle, the Blasket Centre (a must, IMO) and then the drive to Galway via a ferry across to County Clare, unfortunately without the time to stop at the Cliffs of Moher.

Galway and Connemara are stunning. I spent three days based in Galway and took a day trip out to Inis Mor on one of them, I'd recommend it however only if the weather is on side as the best way to get around the island is by hired bike.

The last 3 nights were spent in Dublin, loved the city though should have knocked a day off there and added it to Killarney!

Photos - Blarney Castle, Inch Beach, Dingle Peninsula, Cross at Slea Head, Slea Head Beach, Dingle, Twelve Ben's of Connemara, Doolough Valley (the wave on the sign represents the Wild Atlantic Way), Inis Mor, obligatory Guinness at Dublin's Guinness Storehouse and The Temple Bar, Dublin.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Thank you for such a detailed post and the fabulous photos. Plenty of ideas to work on

The Wormhole on Inis Mor and Euros lots and lots of Euros.
    …and watch out for the Guinness it’s so easy to drink, you can put away far more than you would here in the UK!

Personally I wouldn't bother with Dublin, nothing inherently bad but considering what Ireland has to offer, I'd simply turn left out of the ferry port at DL.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Personally I wouldn't bother with Dublin, nothing inherently bad but considering what Ireland has to offer, I'd simply turn left out of the ferry port at DL.
    I will say that Dublin feels edgier after COVID - I think a lot of anti-social behaviours became amplified/untreated. Maybe that's common across Europe, I don't know.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
    I will say that Dublin feels edgier after COVID - I think a lot of anti-social behaviours became amplified/untreated. Maybe that's common across Europe, I don't know.
    Would agree, done stena Holyhead to Dublin at Easter, premium is worth the extra. Avoid Dublin and look at going Wexford, Waterford or Cork, Kerry or Galway, mayo. All doable in about 3 hours from Dublin port.
    Me, I'm going the other way and doing Snowdonia, looks fabulous

Sent from my Nokia 2.3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stowaJLCfan View Post
    Me, I'm going the other way and doing Snowdonia, looks fabulous
    Funnily enough I'd really like to get to Lincoln, York and other historic spots in the North of England. Some really interesting cities so close.

Master
    Wife has a ton of relatives in Ireland, so been a few times. Sadly don't see much of Ireland, just people's houses!

We took the normal ferry out and the Swift back recently (Holyhead to Dublin). Normal was extremely slow to board and not alot of fun. Swift was fantastic. On and off in about ten minutes, and really nice inside. Also about an hour faster. Pay extra for club class- lovely area right at the front with huge window, as well as dedicated bathrooms and free food & drink (snack stuff, but well done).

The cliffs of Mohan are spectacular, although I hated them as I suffer from vertigo!

Enjoy!

thread update and further advice welcomed....

so we booked on the speedy (2 hours 15 mins) Irish Ferries crossing Hollyhead to Dublin on a Friday in July and staying till week on the Sunday ie 9 nights.

first 2 nights booked in Dublin at the Marker Hotel that seems relatively reasonable value compared to others albeit about 15 mins walk from the centre

then sunday drive for 1 night to Kilkenny and booked at the Lyrath Estate

then Monday drive to West Cork and staying 2 nights in the fab looking Inchydoney Island

Wednesday to Friday booked at the Dunloe Hotel in Killarney and then the last weekend perhaps Galway or Limerick. Not sure about the last weekend, but you probably get the idea that Mrs dandanthewatchman likes decent hotels. We also like good quality restaurants particularly fresh fish.

So ideas for the last 2 nights & day trips out exploring from the bases booked so far will be most welcome.......
    Last edited by dandanthewatchman; 22nd May 2022 at 12:25.

I think you're over cooking Dublin, as for the last few days, - wing it.

Advice on a holiday to Ireland

We changed the itinerary a bit so today is day 1 - ferry from Hollyhead a breeze. Drive to Kilkenny simple and the first hotel is impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dandanthewatchman; 10th July 2022 at 18:06.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    thread update and further advice welcomed....

so we booked on the speedy (2 hours 15 mins) Irish Ferries crossing Hollyhead to Dublin on a Friday in July and staying till week on the Sunday ie 9 nights.

first 2 nights booked in Dublin at the Marker Hotel that seems relatively reasonable value compared to others albeit about 15 mins walk from the centre

then sunday drive for 1 night to Kilkenny and booked at the Lyrath Estate

then Monday drive to West Cork and staying 2 nights in the fab looking Inchydoney Island

Wednesday to Friday booked at the Dunloe Hotel in Killarney and then the last weekend perhaps Galway or Limerick. Not sure about the last weekend, but you probably get the idea that Mrs dandanthewatchman likes decent hotels. We also like good quality restaurants particularly fresh fish.

So ideas for the last 2 nights & day trips out exploring from the bases booked so far will be most welcome.......
    My in laws have stayed here a couple of times and loved it. In the area you are looking as well.

https://ashfordcastle.com/?utm_sourc...campaign=hotel