closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Irish passport begorra..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Indeed...

I'll stop here, wrong sub forum to continue.
    Indeed. And as I'm not British, and this isn't the Bear Pit, I'll restrain my feelings on Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
    Have you ever been to where your grandparents are from in Ireland? My surname is Scottish, from a very specific place, and I fully intend to visit there some day even though the connection probably goes back 10-15 generations before I was born.
    No, they were my Maternal GP and they left Ireland to come to England in 1907. I too share the name of a famous Scot, but my Father was not Scottish!
    My MGM came from what now appears to be a charming seaside town,so I may visit if the sands of time permit.

Quote Originally Posted by uptheaddicks View Post
    No, they were my Maternal GP and they left Ireland to come to England in 1907. I too share the name of a famous Scot, but my Father was not Scottish!
    My MGM came from what now appears to be a charming seaside town,so I may visit if the sands of time permit.
    I hope that works out for you!

Seems to me that there is a little confusion stated on some above posts.

If you are eligible for an Irish Passport, then you are already considered to be a citizen. You don’t need a passport to be a citizen of a country. You either are or you aren’t.

If you attain British citizenship, you still need to apply and pay for the passport separately to the naturalisation process - but you don’t need to apply or get a passport.

I, like my family since at least the 1800’s, was born in Antrim, so I’m an Irish citizen. The passport, although nice to have for me, is secondary to that.

Opposite way around, but anyway started out with Irish citizenship and managed to get dual-citizenship Irish + British? Wondering what the journey was like.

I looked into this lately and as far as I know I don't hold British citizenship as ultimately I was born in Ireland to two Irish parents, despite permanently living in England since I was 1, my wife is English etc. It seems I'd have to spend £1k+, get a bunch of references, sit an English test (possibly exempt due to UK based education) and some other test about life in the UK.

(p.s. I'm aware there's very limited benefits to gaining British citizenship on top of the rights automatically granted to Irish citizens in the UK anyway, but I have my reasons for considering it!)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Are there any downsides to taking Irish citizenship? Income tax is usually based on actual residence but possible inheritance tax issue? (US citizens are always liable to US tax wherever they live, from memory.). Guess you could get called up for national service, etc.??
    No you can have Irish Citizenship / passport and live anywhere you're allowed. You only pay Irish taxes if you live in Ireland.

There is no "national Service" - Professional forces (tiny) same as UK - You decide to join.

Never in 26 years here have I heard anyone, including my quintessential Irish farmer father-in-law, say begorra. And the nearest I've got to seeing a leprechaun was meeting President Higgins. He's tiny.
    Last edited by kildareman; 9th May 2022 at 12:53.

Master
    My little boys Irish passport might not be here in time for holidays

So here I am, waiting on the UK passport fast track service slots opening up at midnight

He’ll just have to be British for a while…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    My little boys Irish passport might not be here in time for holidays

So here I am, waiting on the UK passport fast track service slots opening up at midnight

He’ll just have to be British for a while…
    The Belfast office is one of the few which still have in-person appointments available, apparently - chap on my flight from Liverpool last week had come from Yorkshire to get his renewed for a holiday to Cyprus.

It would have been rude to point out the irony in flying to a beautiful country to get a passport to go somewhere a fair bit less nice...

Craftsman

But probably a fair bit warmer and definitely drier

Quote Originally Posted by nickk View Post
    The Belfast office is one of the few which still have in-person appointments available, apparently - chap on my flight from Liverpool last week had come from Yorkshire to get his renewed for a holiday to Cyprus.

It would have been rude to point out the irony in flying to a beautiful country to get a passport to go somewhere a fair bit less nice...

Craftsman
    Having always had British passports we are now getting Irish ones as well
    Aside from getting through passport control , it means we can work in Europe and possibly retire somewhere warm and maybe have less hassles getting health care.
    Re going to the states I remember 30 years ago you took off from Dublin and then landed in Shannon for US immigration checks and then got back on to the same plane
    Last edited by cad monkey; 21st May 2022 at 11:59.

Interesting stuff , all of my parents grand parents etc were born in Ireland ,i am the first to be born in England .
    My wife and i are considering buying a property in Spain so having an Irish passport could have significant benefits to us .

Quote Originally Posted by Jega View Post
    Interesting stuff , all of my parents grand parents etc were born in Ireland ,i am the first to be born in England .
    My wife and i are considering buying a property in Spain so having an Irish passport could have significant benefits to us .
    Lucky you a "get out of jail card".
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jega View Post
    You can definitely get an Irish passport but I don’t know if your wife can.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I have an Irish passport. Both parents Irish so quite simple for me. However, just be aware that when you put your application in there's an online bar in the portal which shows you how far your passport has progressed from application to delivery. In the tune of old Irish man jokes, the bar goes both forwards and backwards lol! Best ignore it and just be patient!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    Copied from the DFA

You must be an Irish citizen to get an Irish Passport. You are automatically an Irish Citizen if you were born in Ireland before 2005 or if you were born abroad to a parent who was born in Ireland before 2005.

In my case I am now dual nationality, a card I intend to play when as and when it suits me . I'll be sitting in the bar waiting for the wife to clear customs
    Ah…. Interesting…. By DNA I’m far more Irish than anything else as it comes down both sides of my lineage…. So, I’ve always felt a great affinity with the Irish

I was close to my Irish born Granny and intend to visit some relatives out in Templemore

My Mum is an Irish citizen (mum born in Ireland), but, only recently acquired her Irish passport after a wait

So, (having read this thread) I now have to apply for Irish citizenship before applying for the passport I gather…

I’ve asked my Mum for the docs and will start the application….

Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    Copied from the DFA

You must be an Irish citizen to get an Irish Passport. You are automatically an Irish Citizen if you were born in Ireland before 2005 or if you were born abroad to a parent who was born in Ireland before 2005.

In my case I am now dual nationality, a card I intend to play when as and when it suits me . I'll be sitting in the bar waiting for the wife to clear customs
    Doesn't the person have a choice?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Doesn't the person have a choice?
    Yes, once they are 18: https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/how-d...y-citizenship/

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cad monkey View Post
    Having always had British passports we are now getting Irish ones as well
    Aside from getting through passport control , it means we can work in Europe and possibly retire somewhere warm and maybe have less hassles getting health care.
    Re going to the states I remember 30 years ago you took off from Dublin and then landed in Shannon for US immigration checks and then got back on to the same plane
    Dublin & Shannon both have USA immigration, so no short stop in Shannon if boarding at Dublin anymore.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    Dublin & Shannon both have USA immigration, so no short stop in Shannon if boarding at Dublin anymore.

Not entirely sure it was strictly necessary, suspect it was merely a ploy to provide Shannon with some additional income.
    An early attempt at levelling up, perhaps.