closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irish passport begorra..

Irish passport begorra..

Anyone applied for one lately (using an Irish born parent or grandma/pa as proof of eligibility) just wondered how quick/slow, painful or (hopefully) pain free the process was?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

No, but you've got me interested! As a UK passport holder, is there any disadvantage to doing this?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    No, but you've got me interested! As a UK passport holder, is there any disadvantage to doing this?
    there is if Priti Patel takes a dislike to you, as a dual national she could strip you of your UK citizenship if you fell foul of the law. which exact ones I'm not sure

Oh yes. You become hitherto a citizen of the dreaded European Union and can travel, live and work in any of its countries. Awful.

Thankfully the bulk of the UK population has been spared that curse.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I must sort mine. Will be interested in any answers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe.K View Post
    Anyone applied for one lately (using an Irish born parent or grandma/pa as proof of eligibility) just wondered how quick/slow, painful or (hopefully) pain free the process was?

Applied for mine in September, arrived in Feb, only delay was caused due to my local priest signing the ID check incorrectly. Just make sure you double check all the ID requirements.

Craftsman

What’s the “begorra” part of this supposed to mean exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by gregbuc View Post
    What’s the “begorra” part of this supposed to mean exactly?
    I believe it means ‘by God’ or ‘by goodness’..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a Welsh passport yet? Asking for a friend 😆

…and it makes me sound super authentically Irish to be sure !

Master
    Generally quick and pain free but Covid hasn't helped, but you are over the worst of that. When you choose a witness make sure they are readily available as they will be called. Dialogue from a John Millington Synge play rarely speeds up the process.

Craftsman
    …and it makes me sound super authentically Irish to be sure !

I wouldn’t bank on using that in Ireland if you want to prove your Irishness!

Irish people don't need to see your passport to know you're Irish. They just take a good look at you and decide if you're Irish on the spot.

I can still wear the leprechaun costume though..right?

Master
    I have two applications in for our kids (which is the same as what you’re asking) and it’s taken 3 months to issue. Applications can be tracked online so all pretty slick really

- - - Updated - - -

I have two applications in for our kids (which is the same as what you’re asking) and it’s taken 3 months to issue. Applications can be tracked online so all pretty slick really

Craftsman
    Lancaster / Stavanger / Fishguard, Norway / UK
    We talking passport here or citizenship? We got one of the kids citizenship well before Covid took about 16 months, although he hasn’t needed a passport yet. The other three were submitted early Covid (Dec 2020) along with mums and grandparents birth certs plus the garda ID verification plus 500 euro per kid. Haven’t heard a peep on this and it’s been 20 months!! Will need to follow up.

Craftsman
    I can still wear the leprechaun costume though..right?

I do wonder, in all seriousness, do you just want a passport for convenience or because you feel an affinity for Ireland? A passport conveys citizenship and it’d be nice, if a bit quaint, if you could at least have a little pride in the people that you’d like to become a part of, rather than make fun.

Master
    I obtained one a couple of years ago as it was beneficial to me due to being a UK expat living in France post Brexit. Alas the wife wasn't eligible so she has had to apply for a Carte De Sejour for the right to remain living in France.

In my case there was a lot of faffing about as I had to have my birth certificate changed because my parents had listed my fathers name as Jerry (the name he always used) instead of Jeremiah - which was the name on his birth certificate. Once that was out of the way it took a couple of months due to the high volume of Brits deciding to embrace their Irish heritage

Blog Entries
    I hear a Irish passport definitely greases the wheels of arriving in the USA. Alternatively, travel via Dublin from the UK, clear US immigration in Dublin airport and upon landing in the US, sail straight through to baggage reclaim as I have previously done landing in Miami where ‘deplaning to arriving at the Alamo car rental desk’ took under 15 minutes!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    So you could be stripped of UK citizenship and only have Irish citizenship? So basically you can still come and go to the UK as you please and also have more rights in the EU.

Sounds like a real downer.
    you're correct - I was forgetting the special arrangement between the UK and Eire.

in this case - there are no downsides :)

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    you're correct - I was forgetting the special arrangement between the UK and Eire.

in this case - there are no downsides :)
    As for the rest of us, we're blighted with the gift that keeps on taking...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    When you choose a witness make sure they are readily available as they will be called.
    Just to reinforce this point - they will check up on your references.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Journeyman
    I obtained one as I am proud of my mum's heritage and it reminds me of her, I wish I'd done it when she was alive as she would have been very proud. My children can both do it as her grandchildren but I believe its a 2 stage process for them, they have to apply seperately to becoms a citizen and then go to the back of the passport queue and get one only after stage 1.

There are 6 grandchildren all wanting one so we are hoping we can do some kind of group application otherwise theyve got a long wait as the first stage can take over a year.

Having just come back from Amsterdam and used my GB passport I could see no advantage of using the EU one at the moment, it was chaos there, nearly 2hrs to get through security.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    It’s worked out well, so well we are now desperately trying to find a grandparent who was born in what’s now the EU who didn’t give up their citizenship when they came here.
    Same problem...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiftingsideways View Post
    I obtained one as I am proud of my mum's heritage and it reminds me of her, I wish I'd done it when she was alive as she would have been very proud. My children can both do it as her grandchildren but I believe its a 2 stage process for them, they have to apply seperately to becoms a citizen and then go to the back of the passport queue and get one only after stage 1.

There are 6 grandchildren all wanting one so we are hoping we can do some kind of group application otherwise theyve got a long wait as the first stage can take over a year.

Having just come back from Amsterdam and used my GB passport I could see no advantage of using the EU one at the moment, it was chaos there, nearly 2hrs to get through security.

Andrew
    Coming back you're probably correct as BF are understaffed and overworked, and it is possible the same is true at Schiphol. My wife just went to Spain and after landing in Madrid walked through the EU gates when UK passports had to queue.

Master
    Are there any downsides to taking Irish citizenship? Income tax is usually based on actual residence but possible inheritance tax issue? (US citizens are always liable to US tax wherever they live, from memory.). Guess you could get called up for national service, etc.??

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Are there any downsides to taking Irish citizenship? Income tax is usually based on actual residence but possible inheritance tax issue? (US citizens are always liable to US tax wherever they live, from memory.). Guess you could get called up for national service, etc.??
    I suppose if there was another war between Ireland and the UK you might get called up by both. Probably pretty unlikely.

Irish passport begorra..

Quote Originally Posted by Shiftingsideways View Post

Andrew
    You can’t use your U.K. passport in the e-gates at Schipol, but you can use your Eire passport, so, whilst you still queue you will be through and out in 10 minutes unlike us!

Yup can confirm the US citizens tax issue, always liable.

Having spent two hours standing in a queue to enter Germany in March (whilst EU passport holders sailed through the automated passport scanner gates), to then be interrogated by German Border Control about the nature of my visit (fair enough, that’s their job), I’ll be ‘going green’ come passport renewal time. Spain last month was also a bit of a haphazard entry, but less bothersome. I am already an Irish citizen by birth, however.

The tax thing was the unknown for me. Granted there might not be income tax but wondering whether there were other taxes.

Master
    The tax thing was the unknown for me. Granted there might not be income tax but wondering whether there were other taxes.
    Was just interested. Aside whatever the cost of the passport is, it seems like a "free hit" to get an Irish passport, if eligible, but I'm always a bit wary of the "too good to be true" so like to dig to check. (Not that I am personally eligible.)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    I’ll be ‘going green’ come passport renewal time. I am already an Irish citizen by birth, however.
    No need to wait for renewal time as there's nothing to stop you from having both passports.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjones3 View Post
    We talking passport here or citizenship?
    Can you get one without the other? Can you get a passport without becoming an Irish citizen?

Craftsman
    Once you're not resident I don't believe there are any tax implications to having Irish citizenship. You can be sure if there was a way to tax Irish citizens abroad the Irish government would have found it. Not to say it couldn't happen in the future but probably extremely unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    No need to wait for renewal time as there's nothing to stop you from having both passports.
    Yes, you’re quite correct.

It’s more a cost-effective choice.

Depending upon how personal matters transpire, I probably won’t do much foreign travel in the coming couple of years, so I’ll likely be content to run my UK passport to near expiry and then try and time inception of the new Irish passport to coincide with that, with some overlap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    Can you get one without the other? Can you get a passport without becoming an Irish citizen?
    Copied from the DFA

You must be an Irish citizen to get an Irish Passport. You are automatically an Irish Citizen if you were born in Ireland before 2005 or if you were born abroad to a parent who was born in Ireland before 2005.

In my case I am now dual nationality, a card I intend to play when as and when it suits me . I'll be sitting in the bar waiting for the wife to clear customs

Craftsman
    If you are eligible to get Irish citizenship by way of having an Irish born grandparent, it’s important you do it before you have children otherwise they won’t have the option.

I got my Irish citizenship this way back in 2018 and it took 6 months. I sent off my 2 children's application last month and was advised it will take 2 years.

What they don't tell you is that you're legally obliged to cheer for the Irish rugby team.

Master
    Perhaps the only plus point to being born in, and still living in, NI is the ability to hold two passports, one Irish and one British. Tbh there was never much point, imho anyway, to having two, but that has changed with Brexit.
    Btw, having flown from Dublin to the US of A a number of times, customs is cleared at Dublin airport irrespective of what passport one holds. It is a great help.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Lancaster / Stavanger / Fishguard, Norway / UK
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    My understanding is citizenship first then passport. 2 years and then 3 months or so sequentially.

Craftsman
    I was born and grew up in Northern Ireland and until Brexit held just a British passport

I now have both and my daughters can both get an Irish passport which we will when they are a little older

My wife cannot though without us living there did I think it’s 3 years which we currently have no plans to do due to career

I do wonder, in all seriousness, do you just want a passport for convenience or because you feel an affinity for Ireland? A passport conveys citizenship and it’d be nice, if a bit quaint, if you could at least have a little pride in the people that you’d like to become a part of, rather than make fun.
    I completely appreciate what you are saying. I had Irish grandparents who both died 20 years before I was born. Whilst still very much disillusioned with Brexit,I have not applied for an Irish passport simply because I do not feel myself connected.

Pride in being from one country is a difficult concept for me.
    I feel lucky to be born where I was, and when I was, yes. It could have been SO MUCH worse.
    I can be proud of my parents, and of their parents since I benefitted massively from their sacrifices.

But from a country?

Because of the above, I did my bit and served when I was asked to. I'd do it again if needed, even at my age, if only so my daughter and her future children can enjoy as much as we can leave them.
    Had Brexit negotiations gone worse (yes, that was possible), and had I had to obtain British citizenship to stay until my daughter finished her education, I would have had little qualms about doing so without feeling a grain of pride for it. It's an administrative hurdle that is placed in front of you, and you jump it as you see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by uptheaddicks View Post
    I completely appreciate what you are saying. I had Irish grandparents who both died 20 years before I was born. Whilst still very much disillusioned with Brexit,I have not applied for an Irish passport simply because I do not feel myself connected.
    Have you ever been to where your grandparents are from in Ireland? My surname is Scottish, from a very specific place, and I fully intend to visit there some day even though the connection probably goes back 10-15 generations before I was born.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Pride in being from one country is a difficult concept for me.
    I feel lucky to be born where I was, and when I was, yes. It could have been SO MUCH worse.
    I can be proud of my parents, and of their parents since I benefitted massively from their sacrifices.

But from a country?

Because of the above, I did my bit and served when I was asked to. I'd do it again if needed, even at my age, if only so my daughter and her future children can enjoy as much as we can leave them.
    Had Brexit negotiations gone worse (yes, that was possible), and had I had to obtain British citizenship to stay until my daughter finished her education, I would have had little qualms about doing so without feeling a grain of pride for it. It's an administrative hurdle that is placed in front of you, and you jump it as you see fit.
    That's a fair point. Maybe I should have gone with "respect" instead of pride.

That's a fair point. Maybe I should have gone with "respect" instead of pride.
    I also appreciate that there is a massive historical legacy to take into account in the case of Ireland and the UK...

More just a bit embarrassed than anything else tbh, not alone in feeling that apparently.
    Last edited by Passenger; 4th May 2022 at 10:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    More just a bit embarrassed than anything else tbh, not alone in feeling that apparently.
    Indeed...

I'll stop here, wrong sub forum to continue.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I also appreciate that there is a massive historical legacy to take into account in the case of Ireland and the UK...
    True, but recent times have served well to help with that. The queen visiting in 2011 was a real milestone. Prince Charles visits often and is warmly welcomed. I like to think we've all moved on a bit, without wanting to forget what happened, but to live in the here and now. As nations and people we have much more in common than what separates us.