closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar Openface - Review (pics heavy)

Craftsman

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar Openface - Review (pics heavy)

Posted this up on the New Arrivals page a few weeks ago and a number of forum members asked for an in depth review of the watch, so here it is, I’ve never owned anything like this before so bear with me if any inaccuracies…apologies up front for the photos as well, I need to invest in a high end digital camera!

I’m lucky enough to own a Overseas 4500v with the blue dial, having picked this up before it went crazy in the secondary market and wait lists pretty much closed:

With the opening of the new boutique in Edinburgh, my ability to physically handle the watches then allowed interest to stretch into a desire to add to the collection, with the immediate desire a Overseas Ultra-thin Perpetual Calendar with the blue dial in yellow gold, so I’m on the list for that but I’m realistic of the timing so left the door open to other ideas.

In the meantime, I wanted something special for my wife to mark her recovery from illness and was looking to add a stainless steel ladies Overseas with a diamond bezel and pastel blue dial…instead, we walked out with this, which is absolutely unreal and as far as I am concerned, pretty much the best ladies watch you can purchase from any manufacturer, the bracelet is incredible and the craftsmanship unbelievable, as much a piece of jewellery as a watch:

We were both invited to a VC event in Edinburgh which had a number of historical pieces from the archives, which really displayed the history of the brand and the sheer diversity of what the company produces. At the event, I was also shown the recently launched Traditionnelle Complete Calendar Openface, which I thought looked good but I wasn’t blown away in the media launch…seeing it in the flesh was a game changer and I would have bought it there and then but it was secured by another customer. The VC Edinburgh and Head Office folk were awesome and I was added to the list for the next one coming through.

Roll forward 6 weeks or so and I get the call to let me know it’s arriving and I go for the Rose Gold case, as I think with the grey dial (through a combination of the exposed workings plus sapphire aspects) looks the best combination over the white gold. So here it is:

First impressions are that this is nothing like anything I have seen before and the complication is the Complete Calendar, providing the day, month, date and moon phase, with the only adjustment required for shorter months (as it can only recognise 31 days per month) or in effect 5 changes per annum if kept wound. Coming in at 41mm diameter, it is pretty much perfect on my wrist as a dress watch, but due to the complexity of the dial, it is more casual than it looks.

The date is represented by a small moon crescent that moves around the outer ring of the dial at 31 intervals, with a pusher to reset for shorter months:

The day and month are shown on sapphire discs with a white background rectangle as it clicks round, which allows further transparency of the movement underneath, extra shot included that shows the disc in more detail and the attention to detail used:

Similarly, another interesting feature is the ‘floating’ Vacheron Constantin’ text on the main sapphire, which I believe is actually printed on the underside of the glass, tried to capture this on my iPhone!

In terms of movement, this uses the 2460 QCL/2 which bears the Geneva seal as does the case, although really weird development that VC no longer provide the hang tag or hologram certificate as this is now electronically held. The movement itself is a joy to view from the front or the back with rhodium and anthracite finishes, combined with the 22k rotor which includes the Maltese cross which is finished to the usual VC high standards

Finally, the watch is supplied with a soft, grey alligator strap which is basically the most comfortable strap I have on any watch and comes with a rose gold Maltese cross buckle, which is a nice touch. As it’s a new watch, it also benefits from the VC 8 year warranty that is now standard on all of their pieces. This watch isn’t cheap but for a reasonably obtainable watch with the level of complication, finish and uniqueness I am delighted with it, Vacheron are doing some really interesting things at the moment and should be congratulated for it in my opinion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is superb

Craftsman
    What a fantastic watch. Just the right amount of open working for me, a nice bit of interest without being skeletonised.

Well I imagine you must be over the moon with that. What a superb watch, wonderful craftsmanship and actually a very modern style by VC standards. I love it!

Craftsman
    Great review thanks, really enjoyed reading.

Journeyman
    what a great review, and even better
    pictures. thank you!

Blog Entries
    Oh my goodness me. What a superb piece. I need to find my nearest boutique. Your wifes watch is also gorgeous.

Great write up. Good to see the double Geneva seal. Martyn (fellow 4500V owner).
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Nice write up.
    Very nice people in the Edinburgh boutique and it’s much bigger and brighter than the Bond Street one too.

Master
    Stunning watch

lovely review and great watch!

Craftsman
    Thanks guys, out of all of the luxury brands I have interacted with, VC are the best, the fact you can actually view and handle most of their collection (for now) is great.

Call me a fan boy…!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk