closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plongeur Professionel

Grand Master

Plongeur Professionel

Just a lazy sunday and a chance to indulge in my new love

Last edited by 100thmonkey; 24th May 2022 at 05:28.
    RIAC

Lovely watch, do you shave your wrists? I ask as a man devoid of sufficient testosterone to grow much wrist hair at all.

I bet that wasn’t the first comment you expected to get

Simon

Top watch and nice pics ��
    Last edited by RAJEN; 1st May 2022 at 14:28.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The ONLY thing I don't like is the orange on the bezel lock, if it's the same material as the seamaster bezel it will fade like a bitch with long periods of immersion in salt water.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    The ONLY thing I don't like is the orange on the bezel lock, if it's the same material as the seamaster bezel it will fade like a bitch with long periods of immersion in salt water.
    Perfect for
    Patina
    RIAC

Agreed, it'll show it's been used for its intended purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Perfect for
    Patina

Lovely watch, but shaved wrists? That is the question.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Lovely watch, but shaved wrists? That is the question.
    Veet
    RIAC

Veet
    Noted. Tried the same on the old chap, brought a tear to my eye…

Veet
    To be fair, that mesh bracelet looks like it could wreak havoc with wrist hair.

Owned the Black and the White. Superb watches and definitely one to wear before you judge due to its size and shape. Really comfy and wear smaller then the numbers would suggest.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Great looking watch,

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Owned the Black and the White. Superb watches and definitely one to wear before you judge due to its size and shape. Really comfy and wear smaller then the numbers would suggest.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    I am looking for a white or grey if anyone is selling
    RIAC

There's a white one in Omega Royal Exchange. Two tone too.

Went to try one on the other day but the store was rammed.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    There's a white one in Omega Royal Exchange. Two tone too.

Went to try one on the other day but the store was rammed.
    Preowned ideally. Have plenty of contacts at Omega but forum recycling rules
    RIAC

I was looking at a used titanium model recently and the watch "seemed" smaller than I expected, am I right in thinking these were produced in different sizes at one point?

Quote Originally Posted by uptheaddicks View Post
    I was looking at a used titanium model recently and the watch "seemed" smaller than I expected, am I right in thinking these were produced in different sizes at one point?

Maybe someone will know otherwise but it’s my understanding they are all the same case size.
    They definitely wear smaller and more comfortable than you’d expect for such a large chunk of metal.

IMHO few watches can match it for being a cult classic -

Looks fantastic Kerry. I've flirted with the idea of ownership over the years but have always talked myself out of it due to the watch specs.

Either the black or white steel on the orange omega strap would be a summer hit.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodruffm View Post
    Looks fantastic Kerry. I've flirted with the idea of ownership over the years but have always talked myself out of it due to the watch specs.

Either the black or white steel on the orange omega strap would be a summer hit.
    I brought a spare clasp to have the Orange Rubber on, the mesh is actually the better hot day option as it lets the air circulate
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    Maybe someone will know otherwise but it’s my understanding they are all the same case size.
    They definitely wear smaller and more comfortable than you’d expect for such a large chunk of metal.

IMHO few watches can match it for being a cult classic -
    All same size.

Did you get six numbers on Saturday Kerry?

Its great to see all this new love for the ploprof. I must admit i sometimes questioned my own feelings for them in the past (mainly driven by other peoples views), but its a watch i always come back to and cant imagine never owning.

I think i've had 7 over the years and have always really enjoyed them. I only buy watches I really like, and therefore every sale has been a wrench, regretted very soon after, and i've always had to pay more to get another.

They all have such different characters and all stand out for different reasons -

Vintage - love the history and age, the size, wearability and and rarity
    Modern steel - built like tank, and the white is just bonkers and unlike no other
    Modern Ti - the combination of the size with reduced weight, no date is a big win for me too.

last year i bought my first vintage ploprof, and it has actually become my daily wearer. I dont take it off, i absolutely love it.

Here are a few rough and ready photos of my ploprof loves past and present.

side by side 70's with modern ti

I had three modern ploprofs all at once and had to sell to fund something else.....I hung on the white!

Last edited by tz-uk73; 2nd May 2022 at 16:14.

The original is the best.
    I love a Ploprof in all it’s forms but the original is fantastic. I almost bough an original a few years ago but picked another watch instead, I still kick myself.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 2nd May 2022 at 16:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    The original is the best.
    I love a Ploprof in all it’s forms but the original is fantastic. I almost bough an original a few years ago but chooses another watch instead, I still kick myself.
    There is a plenty of love for the original. For good reasons. But for me, the original sits there whereas I wear the reissue a lot.

I wish I could have kept my original one, I had to get a house deposit together 10 years ago and I had to let it go. Really miss it.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    Superb buddy and enjoy.

Paul

I've never tried one of the Ti ones, the idea is good, but I think the heft is part of the appeal of the PloProf, somehow I suspect it would feel 'wrong' not to be heavy being that big.

I also prefer the look of the original one, I'm a big fan of '70s Omegas in general, I think they made some of the best looking watches ever (not just by them) in that period.

I also love the blue dial/black bezel combination, which they don't do on the modern re-issue.

That said, I could never spend that much on a PloProf (or any watch, I suspect) as I'd wear it so rarely, so I make do with a Helson homage.

I notice that the crown on the re-release is less sharply knurled, do owners of the original PloProf find the crown grazes their wrist? My Helson does, so I usually wear a bit of tape on the underside of the crown to stop it rubbing.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 3rd May 2022 at 10:28.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

The strange thing is the originals can still be had for less than the reissues...or at least they could last time I looked.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    The strange thing is the originals can still be had for less than the reissues...or at least they could last time I looked.
    I’m not sure anymore, they seem to be around the same for the vintage and the reissue steel. The ti seems to hold the highest value at the moment and rarely if ever seen below £7.5k. Having said that, I’ve seen some of the vintage ones up and above £10k now.

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I’m not sure anymore, they seem to be around the same for the vintage and the reissue steel. The ti seems to hold the highest value at the moment and rarely if ever seen below £7.5k. Having said that, I’ve seen some of the vintage ones up and above £10k now.
    A quick search on Chrono24 seems to bear this out.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Grand Master

Plonguer Professionel

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    A quick search on Chrono24 seems to bear this out.

M
    I think its important to remember there is a difference with foreign exchange rates and a price advertised is not a price sold, C24 is at least 6% in fees and realistically 10-15% inflated for example here’s the actual trending examples based on sales of this piece and lets not kid ourselves in the 8 years I was with Blowers I didn’t sell one and a colleague who works for an Omega AD remembers selling 1 in 17 years of service.!!

Not many about but only a handful of people on TZ who are now keen after it came back to prominence (again I take responsibility for that hype)

This is not a case of finding the cheapest one and trying to haggle it's actually a fact based on sales previously completed.
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 22nd May 2022 at 10:32.
    RIAC

Grand Master

Titanium black somewhat stronger and in demand
    RIAC

Are they uk sales though? If not uk buyers would obviously need to add the obligatory 20% and postage.

I just had a look at Chrono24 and can only see 6 ploprofs of ANY flavour for sale in the UK. They start of £6.6k with a marked bezel and head up) I know they’re only worth what someone will pay, but if you have a choice of 6 to pick from surely thats only pushing prices one way? I’m not trying to big up their values, but having sold quite a few for £4K and under, I know what it takes to get them back, and the last couple I’ve bought have been over £6k.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Are they uk sales though? If not uk buyers would obviously need to add the obligatory 20% and postage.

I just had a look at Chrono24 and can only see 6 ploprofs of ANY flavour for sale in the UK. They start of £6.6k with a marked bezel and head up) I know they’re only worth what someone will pay, but if you have a choice of 6 to pick from surely thats only pushing prices one way? I’m not trying to big up their values, but having sold quite a few for £4K and under, I know what it takes to get them back, and the last couple I’ve bought have been over £6k.
    There’s always been about 6 for sale in Uk as just the least popular of all sellers, I asked Berrys & M&W staff I know well who have been around a long time who can’t recall selling so it makes sense that so few will be preowned. There’s no Panerai 213 in the UK and hasn’t been for a year or so but the market for them is close to £7k on there the reality is closer to £6k. It’s just how it is
    RIAC

Plonguer Professionel

One of the few watches I’’d swap my Sub for.

Missing apostrophe blame useless Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though the titanium with black dial may be in most demand personally I think the discontinued steel
    with black dial is the sweet spot in the range…..the heft is part of the appeal

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    Even though the titanium with black dial may be in most demand personally I think the discontinued steel
    with black dial is the sweet spot in the range…..the heft is part of the appeal
    I agree. But its not a heft its spread makes it very balanced and the caseback adds friction that anchors it so well unlike the ti with a display back thats smooth. One of the most comfortable I wear. You genuinely forget its there.
    RIAC

I agree. But its not a heft its spread makes it very balanced and the caseback adds friction that anchors it so well unlike the ti with a display back thats smooth. One of the most comfortable I wear. You genuinely forget its there.
    I agree the Ploprof is extremely comfortable- on the shark mesh with the micro adjustment clasp it’s amazingly
    comfortable on the wrist…..I had an AP ROO dive watch which was top heavy and keep sliding round -
    the Ploprof is head and shoulders more comfortable

Grand Master

Just looking for The Grey now which I only
    Wish they had made in steel.
    RIAC

That's an amazing pair Monkey. Best and most underrated watch ever.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    That's an amazing pair Monkey. Best and most underrated watch ever.
    Thank you for the kind words.
    RIAC

I’ve hopefully got the Sedna and blue one arriving this week, can’t wait :-)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Timk View Post
    I’ve hopefully got the Sedna and blue one arriving this week, can’t wait :-)
    Without being harsh that one reminds me of a YM2. Bit like when you ride a metric cruiser and people say 'nice harley'

White and orange, or black or deep green would have been so much better
    RIAC

Gorgeous pair. 👌

Without being harsh that one reminds me of a YM2. Bit like when you ride a metric cruiser and people say 'nice harley'

White and orange, or black or deep green would have been so much better
    :-) Not harsh, I know it’s divisive. I just think if you’re going big and bold say f it go big and bold.
    I love the blue dial and there’s not that much gold, just enough.
    I’ve got a couple of black dialled divers and need a lairy one in the collection 

Have to say it’s a watch I’ve always been interested in but I fail to see how you could operate the bezel in a diving situation when you’re wearing say 5mm neoprene or insulated dry gloves. Maybe it’s easier than I imagine.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Manxdiver View Post
    Have to say it’s a watch I’ve always been interested in but I fail to see how you could operate the bezel in a diving situation when you’re wearing say 5mm neoprene or insulated dry gloves. Maybe it’s easier than I imagine.
    Its a rather easy one handed movement.

As someone famously once said of the Ploprof '“It may not look pretty on the surface, but deep down it’s beautiful.”
    RIAC

Grand Master

Here is where I am going for the ultimate unique look. Simple bezel swop but so striking in my humble opinion!!

Your thoughts welcome.
    RIAC