closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sub alternatives

Master

Sub alternatives

I have a 16610 Swiss Only from 1999. Super watch, and I love it.

Thinking, however, about selling to pay of some mortgage, enabling an earlier retirement. I know the value will most likely increase, but it's nice to calcuate these things.

What are the best alternatives for a high quality dive watch?

I do like the Seamasters, but any others? Open to any maker. Particualrly interested in German options. Happy with secondhand, and would like to have £5k out (reckon it is worth £8k, so max spend £3k).

I prefer 40mm or thereabouts. Don't want homage watches.

Do your worst!

TIA.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Assume you are happy with a different prices, looks and styles, so alongside the seamaster 300 or planet ocean, you could look at a Doxa 600t, Breitling superocean, iwc aquatimer, longines legend diver or Zenith defy extreme if you want left field and huge though I know you said 40mm...

Or a dreadnought from Eddie.

At the risk of being mr obvious, the Black Bay 58 is the obvious choice. Sinn U50 is a good German option albeit with a more unique aesthetic.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    At the risk of being mr obvious, the Black Bay 58 is the obvious choice. Sinn U50 is a good German option albeit with a more unique aesthetic.
    Forgot about the U50. Excellent choice.

I would get a used GS diver.

Dont know about the German watches, I had an expensive Sinn and no chance it was worth its money, it was just an average watch with gimmicks.

Master
    Panerai 24

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Could look at a black bay, either BB58 or BB41.

Be mindful that the higher quality you go the less money you’ll be left with and the reason for the exercise loses its purpose.

Grand Seiko. Job done.

Release some more money - just get a nice Damasko.

Lots of the suggestions so far are very decent watches but for me it would be finding a happy spot between freeing up the cash Vs the disappointment of not having the Rolex Vs the watch you get.

I'd rather have a slightly cheaper watch and have a big chunk of cash freed up. So I'd look at a a longines hydroconquest, Tudor black bay. Basically something under £2.5k with a discount.

Craftsman
    Bremont is always an option.
    My 301 is lovely. I've recently outed an IWC aquatimer that definitely punched above it's monetary standing. Lots of nice divers at that price point.

Sent from my SM-A725F using Tapatalk

Bit off-the-radar, but Archimede's (house brand of case-maker Ickler) 'Sporttaucher' is beautifully put-together, and starts under £1000 to maximise those mortgage repayments. Easily the equal of better-known brands at 2-3 times the price. Lots of variants, too:

&c, &c...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think the closest sub that isnt a sub would be the black pelagos or bb58.

IMO other offerings aren't sub enough to make a satisfying almost like for like replacement, BUT, the SM300 with ceramic wave dial is a lovely watch so long as you can get it into your brain that it isnt subbing a sub, excuse pun.

I dont think Sinn or Damasko would be like for like tbh. They're both great watches, but, personally I would struggle not to find them agricultural if directly comparing to a 16610 which is imo far more refined and suitable for most occasions.

FXD ?

I'd stick with what you have because chances are whatever you get you'll look at it and think its nice but its no 16610 and spend more money on another.

Craftsman
    IWC Aquatimer 3536 would be worth considering. There is a 03 on sales corner atm, personally I favour the 02.

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    I have a 16610 Swiss Only from 1999. Super watch, and I love it.

Thinking, however, about selling to pay of some mortgage, enabling an earlier retirement. I know the value will most likely increase, but it's nice to calcuate these things.

What are the best alternatives for a high quality dive watch?

I do like the Seamasters, but any others? Open to any maker. Particualrly interested in German options. Happy with secondhand, and would like to have £5k out (reckon it is worth £8k, so max spend £3k).

I prefer 40mm or thereabouts. Don't want homage watches.

Do your worst!

TIA.
    £5K is hardly going to make a dent in a mortgage.

Stick with what you have IMO instead of looking for a cheaper Sub-alike.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I fear there is no alternative. Lots of similar watches but if you love what you have you won’t be satisfied with an alternate choice.

BB58 is a great watch but not a sub.

Hold what you have.

Master
    I think a Tourby Lawless would tick every box mentioned:

https://www.tourby.de/armbanduhren/lawless/lawless-40/

I've visited their shop and had a great chat with the watchmaker. I've only read good things and the quality certainly looked excellent across all the models I saw. Very small production nos. so you're unlikely to ever see another in the wild. Eur 1.8 - 2k, new.

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Forgot about the U50. Excellent choice.
    I’ve had a few 16610’s and a Sinn U1 and they are about as different as chalk and cheese!
    I wore a 16610 LV as a daily for about 7 years, followed by a U1 and the Sinn never really felt right to me - too clinical. I recently bought a black dialled BB58 and I’m really enjoying it - take away the brand and it feels like a slightly warmer dialled 5513 without the jangle tbh - and without the fear of service costs and muggers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ps I realised when I sold the LV I’d be exiting the Rolex brand permanently- I don’t like the newer models and the thought of paying anything over £3k for a battered 5 digit steel Rolex (having owned them from new when they were somewhere between £1500 and £3000) is not an option for me - even if I can afford it financially. I just don’t think they are worth that much as a watch (perhaps they are as an investment but I like my watches to be worn as watches not as investments). I haven’t regretted it as I realised I’d flipped so many I clearly didn’t like them that much - but it’s a one way street imho - think carefully

Master
    Ulysse Nardin Marine Diver. One of the very few dive watches that apes nothing from Blancpain/ Rolex dna besides basic dive watch requirements like a rotating bezel, crown guards, a crown, hands, etc.
    Base eta with UN module so repairs and servicing is cheap and easy.
    Truly an outstanding dive watch.
    Marine Divers are 40mm, maxi marines are 42-46 depending on year / model. Lots of colours and dial finishes to choose from. Rubber straps are phenomenally comfy thanks to the articulated inserts. Bracelets available but rare.

Master
    If your own 16610 has original papers then it’s worth a good bit more than 8K
    A second handYudor BB58 is a super buy.(if only it didn’t have those silly hands)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I would seriously consider the white IWC on sc at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    If your own 16610 has original papers then it’s worth a good bit more than 8K
    A second handYudor BB58 is a super buy.(if only it didn’t have those silly hands)

I was going to say the same. With papers these seem to start at £10k now

I’d stick, as above it’s an iconic watch, and will barely touch a mortgage I’d imagine.

As a 16610 owner, I would keep it, and I think with papers it’s probably £9.5K, not £8K, but if you really must liberate it:

BB58 for a similar feel, although I would respectfully suggest it’s not as satisfying a watch.

Sinn U series. It’s very highly original and metallurgically interesting. I love my U1, but a U50 is closer to the Subs size, although I found it wore small. I would stalk SC for a suitable Sinn

D

What would Mick P say?

Master
    BB58.
    There’s a belter on SC at the mo for only £1950 !

Master
    The Invicta Pro Diver will release most money to pay mortgage and is indistinguishable from the Subby

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    The Invicta Pro Diver will release most money to pay mortgage and is indistinguishable from the Subby

He specified no homages. But I don’t think he said anything about shameless copies though:-)

Craftsman
    Monta are well regarded if you want something very much sub inspired, but not a homage.

Master
    Personally I’d keep it :)

Why is it that whenever one of these ‘what should I buy?’ threads comes up, half the replies suggest the BB58?

I tried one on recently and was seriously underwhelmed. It’s also titchy.

Apologies to what I assume to be loads of satisfied owners, but I just don’t get it.

I’ll get my coat

Simon

A decent alternative to a sub would have to be a JLC Navy Seals. 42mm but wears smaller. Perfect legibility and you can wear it without worry as its under the radar.

Sorry, just re-read and saw max budget £3k. Scrap the JLC idea they are around £6k!!!

Last edited by Top Cat; 30th April 2022 at 07:14.

Blog Entries
    Sewills Professional Diver?

This model is not (currently) in high demand so should be easily purchasable at the next TF opening.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Why is it that whenever one of these ‘what should I buy?’ threads comes up, half the replies suggest the BB58?

Apologies to what I assume to be loads of satisfied owners, but I just don’t get it.

I’ll get my coat

Simon
    I guess it’s just a matter of preference. For my normal sized wrists the 58 is a great fit. I don’t want to look like I’m wearing my dads watch.

I think it’s a great looking watch, good legibility, accurate movement with 70 hour PR, retro diver look … I like mine.

Also relatively modest price for a “luxury” watch.

Coming out of left field with what I’m sure would be a very unpopular choice among the watch illuminati, how about a TAG WAN2110? Easily found for well under 2k, ETA2892 inside. It’s a black diver but IMO not too much of sub copy.

Master
    Keep it would be my take, or if you must part with it get a completely different style of watch so your not comparing every time you put it on

Blog Entries
    Steinhart? Ocean Premium?

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Seiko MM300, SBDX017. Has diashield, no Prospex “X”, and a GS movement. Wears far better than the dimensions suggest, and mine is worn far more than my SD.

Great looking to boot.

And unlike a Rolex, you can buy them and will hardly ever see another.

Craftsman
    The answer to this seems to be quite obviously a Longines Hydroconquest surely? Classic diver aesthetic, bit of heritage, cheap as chips but high quality.

You could always look at Christopher Ward or something like that, but they're marmite.

Master
    Seamaster 2254.5000?
    Elegant looks,
    Fairly readily available preowned,
    300m w/r,
    Chronometer,
    Highly legible,
    Looks good on a variety of straps,
    Not as ubiquitous as some other pieces.

i second an iwc aquatimer or a panerai sub

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I guess it’s just a matter of preference. For my normal sized wrists the 58 is a great fit. I don’t want to look like I’m wearing my dads watch.

I think it’s a great looking watch, good legibility, accurate movement with 70 hour PR, retro diver look … I like mine.

Also relatively modest price for a “luxury” watch.
    I recently tried on a range of Tudor watches and was surprised that the 58 looked and felt perfect on my 9 inch wrist! - a week of daily wear later I’m still delighted and it doesn’t feel small at all. Some watches suit certain sizes imho. For instance a 44mm Panerai Luminor has the right proportions. The 40mm looks odd. I also thought the regular BB case seems ungainly in comparison. Having owned a few 5513 and 16610 subs, the 58 wears like a vintage Rolex without trying to look like one. Personally I can’t stand any of the direct Rolex copies with a different brand on the dial - so naff, and I can’t imagine anyone selling the real deal and being satisfied with a homage - get something a bit different :)

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post

I’ll get my coat

Simon
    Like you I also gravitate towards more substantial watches but IMHO, BB 58 is one of the best watches to come out in the last decade.I wouldn’t change a thing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Like you I also gravitate towards more substantial watches but IMHO, BB 58 is one of the best watches to come out in the last decade.I wouldn’t change a thing about it.
    Clasp and rivets

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Clasp and rivets
    Snow flake hands and rivets have never bothered me. Clasp, yes.
    But I have it on a strap. So, no issues.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 1st May 2022 at 16:40.

Snow flake hands and rivers have never bothered me. Clasp, yes.
    But I have it on a strap. So, no issues.
    Their GMT hands need trimming.

Master
    Blog Entries

Agreed. If I could change one thing on the 58 it would be drilled lugs.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Clasp and rivets
    The clasp needs more adjustment options but the rivets are fine I don't like the guilt details or faux lume on the bkack version so it's bb58 blue all the way for me. Fantastic watch that I am itching to buy back.