closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CW dropping name from dials

CW dropping name from dials

Just received this months Loupe magazine and from the launch of their new Aquataine models onwards they will drop the Christopher Ward name from the dial - will be running with the twin flag logo instead. I know that a lot of people on here detested the name on the dial so maybe now this brand will be more available to some on here now than before.

I dont have one currently, have in the past and briefly had the C60 Abyss this year but didnt get on with the dial (couldnt read the time...) and the C60 concept but it felt too pricey for what it offered - both however were very well constructed, had imaginative stlying and ran to COSC. No question that the SH21 movement based watches are less attractive on value terms when compared to their more main stream Sellita etc models.

Keith
    Last edited by huytonman; 29th April 2022 at 11:04.

Master
    I've gone from not liking CW at all, to warming up to them, then onto the phase of considering one since CW left the business, which is the point when I believe they got more design focus. Now they have dropped the name from the dials I'll most definitely be getting one in the future.

Master
    It was mentioned in another thread, C Ward having left the business. I think it will produce an increase in sales (and in increase in people selling watches with the C Ward on the dial).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    It was mentioned in another thread, C Ward having left the business. I think it will produce an increase in sales (and in increase in people selling pre-owned watches with the C Ward on the dial).

A Sandhurst with the twin flag logo might be just the thing! (Ideally without the army badge on the back to i can live with that)

Having owned a few I can say the quality is tremendous, definitely great watches. However I couldn't live with the name branding so will now be looking at the brand again.

CW dropping name from dials

I think the move to the twin flags logo is a great move and highlights the growing brand confidence in line with their quality.
    However, I do wish they would stop with the exhibition case backs; the SW200 calibre is a very capable workhorse but not especially beautiful to look at.
    My vote would be to introduce the Sandhurst with brushed dials (silver, gold, blue, black and green) with batons and I’d say it would be a winner as the brand moves to mass market territory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s quite interesting that apparently they kept the full name on the dial and used the logo as a secondary element because they were advised that the use of the Swiss flag within the logo might’ve led to legal issues. They used it as a sub feature for five years so that it’s use couldn’t be argued against. They even acknowledge that the off centre name was not popular with some fans.
    Seems as though there was a reason after all (while we were all moaning! )

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Good news from my perspective. I like some of their designs but couldn’t cope with the name on the dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was a person who did not really like the logo, although the quality and looks of the recent offerings like the Dartmouth and Super Compressor has not put me off owning them.

That said, I have realised that writing, well positioned on the dial, really adds positive to the look. Just look at some of the most desirable watches and how they write on the dial.

I find the twin flag logo a bit of a blob on the dial, but equally don’t like Christopher Ward written on the dial.

The twins flags is the better of the two, but not the perfect answer IMO.

Master
    I've had a C60 bronze trident Pro that I picked up in SC, had it a year or so. Really like it, it's my first bronze but I love how it patinas, it's rugged, it's legible and it keeps time to 1s/d (sw200 movement). Couple of minor niggles... The cathedral hands don't suit an otherwise modern style diver and the fake aged lume plots are far too yellow, to but at least they pick up the bronze. The name on the dial doesn't bother me at all, I've Tudor, Omega and Seiko with as much or more written on the dial. I think overall they are a good below proposition.