closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: any Instagrammers here ? help sought

Craftsman

any Instagrammers here ? help sought

My Instagram accounts been hacked and I'm locked out as the hackers changed both my email and password.
    Now posts for Bitcoin are being made in my name.

Instagram offers pretty much zero customer support and there seems to be no way to reach a human being to try to resolve this .

Has anyone had something similar happen and can offer me any suggestions as to how to proceed ?

Much appreciated

Ed

Craftsman
    Can you try putting in your phone number (if linked) for forgotten password, they should text you a link to reset

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forget it - happened to my Mrs, they are not interested in the slightest in helping out.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Has happened to me and there wasn't anything I could do about it. Very frustrating, had no option but to create a new account. I googled the issue quite extensively and didn't get anywhere. I would def recommend changing all social media and email passwords.

Master
    When you set up its replacement use 2fa, in fact you should use 2fa on any account that allows it these days.

Master
    Hindsight is wonderful, suggest setting up two point authentication to protect your account next time. You can do this from the settings in IG.
    Also don't click on any links that ANYONE sends in a message (usual method used to hack your account), even if it's sent from a known friend etc as their account has been hacked and it's the hackers messaging you not your friend.
    It's happening all over IG, Timefactors IG was done last month.

Good reminder to set up 2FA. I’ve seen quite a few people hacked on both Instagram and Facebook and left stuck whilst hackers spam the account.

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone

yes thats exactly how I was hacked, received a message from within IG from someone I know and I made the mistake of assuming genuine and safe (as within IG)
    so responded and then bang! hacked and locked out in seconds.

There seems no way to get IG to respond to this as there are no humans to reach out too.

So yes I could create a new account but then I lose 10 years pics/posts and some good online friends so means starting over.

Meanwhile my old account just kind of hangs there in cyber space with my mug shot and profile on the cover.

IG's (Meta/Facebook) lack of response is well shoddy; makes me realise what I've often suspected and often read about, that this social media stuff is really a mugs game, they take all of us for a ride.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    Hindsight is wonderful, suggest setting up two point authentication to protect your account next time. You can do this from the settings in IG.
    Also don't click on any links that ANYONE sends in a message (usual method used to hack your account), even if it's sent from a known friend etc as their account has been hacked and it's the hackers messaging you not your friend.
    It's happening all over IG, Timefactors IG was done last month.
    Did the Timefactors IG account get recovered or still "lost" ?

I've never understood the concept of Instagram.

Facebook, yes, TikTok OK, Twitter even (although I despise it), but what is Instagram for? It just seems to be a place to put photos to me...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie1 View Post
    Thanks everyone

yes thats exactly how I was hacked, received a message from within IG from someone I know and I made the mistake of assuming genuine and safe (as within IG)
    so responded and then bang! hacked and locked out in seconds.

There seems no way to get IG to respond to this as there are no humans to reach out too.

So yes I could create a new account but then I lose 10 years pics/posts and some good online friends so means starting over.

Meanwhile my old account just kind of hangs there in cyber space with my mug shot and profile on the cover.

IG's (Meta/Facebook) lack of response is well shoddy; makes me realise what I've often suspected and often read about, that this social media stuff is really a mugs game, they take all of us for a ride.
    Some might argue that we get the level of service that we pay for, realising that we really are the product on all social media platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I've never understood the concept of Instagram.

Facebook, yes, TikTok OK, Twitter even (although I despise it), but what is Instagram for? It just seems to be a place to put photos to me...

M
    that’s exactly the point, if you work in or sell visual products then it’s an ideal platform for generating exposure or researching.
    i’m an advertising photographer so use it a lot not just for work but as research tool, i’m currently looking for some bespoke fitted carpentry and some refurb work, i follow a few people to see what they are doing and so i can keep them in mind for future projects.

it’s a big advertising channel but the difference is your target market is already giving you access to them several times a day.

Instagram

Exactly this happened to me three/four weeks ago.

I’ve tried very hard to break out of the irritating circular Instagram help loop with no success, and have ended up setting up another account. (mwvintagewatches in case anyone’s interested)

Instagram/FB/Meta have shown no interest in helping. Interestingly, two people I know had the same thing happen and have got back their accounts, but I don’t know how - I suspect it may be linked to how many followers/how much impact your account has (and I only had a couple of thousand - no Beyoncé me!)

It’s very irritating, mainly because it leaves you feeling separated from a large number of friends/contacts.

Good luck to the OP.

Best wishes,
    Martyn.

Master
    Did the Timefactors IG account get recovered or still "lost" ?
    Time factors IG account was recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    that’s exactly the point, if you work in or sell visual products then it’s an ideal platform for generating exposure or researching.
    i’m an advertising photographer so use it a lot not just for work but as research tool, i’m currently looking for some bespoke fitted carpentry and some refurb work, i follow a few people to see what they are doing and so i can keep them in mind for future projects.

it’s a big advertising channel but the difference is your target market is already giving you access to them several times a day.
    My Facebook business page was hacked and other pages added (dodgy Rolex pages of all things) I tried to recover but it was a no go so all my previous content and business links were gone, I def lost work over that.

Like you I’m a photographer but am totally crap with social media.
    It’s become the go to platform for getting work but I find it really hard to motivate myself to post on a regular basis, that said I have increased my prices and plan on disciplining myself to post regularly.

Any tips on using hashtags and links for better exposure?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    It’s not just hashtags these days, it’s also your engagement with other accounts. So I would suggest also try daily comments on others pages/accounts. Ask genuine questions and give replies. When you post a photo yourself try to get your followers to comment and strike up conversation.
    Short video clips are also very popular, I guess IG trying to compete with TikTok.

There’s a few accounts on IG that give good hints and tips, worth following to keep up to date in the forever changing minefield of social media.

Craftsman
    Dave Wallsworth BA pilot IG account is still hacked and there are regular posts offering huge returns for bitcoin investments

My Instagram accounts been hacked and I'm locked out as the hackers changed both my email and password.
    Now posts for Bitcoin are being made in my name.

Instagram offers pretty much zero customer support and there seems to be no way to reach a human being to try to resolve this .

Has anyone had something similar happen and can offer me any suggestions as to how to proceed ?

Much appreciated

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    It’s not just hashtags these days, it’s also your engagement with other accounts. So I would suggest also try daily comments on others pages/accounts. Ask genuine questions and give replies. When you post a photo yourself try to get your followers to comment and strike up conversation.
    Short video clips are also very popular, I guess IG trying to compete with TikTok.

There’s a few accounts on IG that give good hints and tips, worth following to keep up to date in the forever changing minefield of social media.
    Thanks and I totally get what your saying, I don't know if its just me, my age or generation (X) but I find it hard to spend time on a daily basis trying to build a following, I know it will benefit me/my business so I need to discipline myself but I have always found SM difficult.

There are people I could pay to run my SM accounts so I may look into this..

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post

i just look at the main hashtag on similar images or a search and then see the derivative ones or similars that have lots of posts with the same tag.
    that said i don’t actively pursue followers or pay for boosting as i’m not after a following from the general public as it’s agencies or small brands that i want, i get better quality follows from tagging of a relevant account in the image or organically by working with a brand or collaborator rather than a hashtag.
    i also do not follow any other photographer who’s work is of a lower quality than mine, i follow similar or high profile ones back or production companies/agencies. no idea what works for B2C work though.