closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Not another 'what car' thread

Not another 'what car' thread

TZ collective, I need some advice

We are a 1 car family of 4, it's a VW Tiguan and it's been great. It's my wife's company car and I just don't need my own car (tried it last year and it just sat there)

My Mrs is going to do her pgce so we will be buying a car outright. We might change it when she is back in work but if there is no need to then we won't.

The kids are a little older now so we don't need the boot space we used to and school car parks are small so something smaller would suit.

So requirements

- 16k to spend
    - ideally 18 plate onwards
    - ideally under £16k
    - petrol preferred
    - manual preferred
    - must be 5 doors
    - boot big enough for a family big shop
    - must have Android auto

I'd gone vanilla and though we needed a little crossover and narrowed it down to a Mazda cx-3 or a seat arona. Driven the Mazda and it was nice.

However, a hatchback would do or something i haven't thought of.

Any opinions on the ones mentioned or any suggestions welcome.

Master
    Have you considered an MX-5?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post

Jeremy did you have a silver mk1 turbo that Paul rubbed going into Coppice?

Mazda is very reliable, CX5 within budget?

As mentioned the CX5 is a good option. But a car which also fits the bill very well and should get you a nearly new example is the Dacia Duster. They are a lot of car for the money, get good reviews and use tried and tested Renault mechanicals and underpinnings, plus would still be in Warranty. Might even get you a brand new Dacia Jogger too. Both worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Jeremy did you have a silver mk1 turbo that Paul rubbed going into Coppice?

Mazda is very reliable, CX5 within budget?
    It is, but I'd rather have a better specced newer cx3 than an older lesser spec cx5

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Lolz

Master
    I had a new shape Honda Civic and thought it was great

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    As mentioned the CX5 is a good option. But a car which also fits the bill very well and should get you a nearly new example is the Dacia Duster. They are a lot of car for the money, get good reviews and use tried and tested Renault mechanicals and underpinnings, plus would still be in Warranty. Might even get you a brand new Dacia Jogger too. Both worth a look.
    Not a bad shout at all, however the father in law has one and whilst I'm not buying a Maserati, the look of it does nothing for me and I had a clio as my first car and vowed never to go near anything french again.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I had a new shape Honda Civic and thought it was great
    Was it the 1ltr turbo? How did it hold up? I do like the look of them

Master
    I have a 67 plate Honda Civic Tourer 1.8 petrol manual which is an excellent car with an awesome boot and practicality despite the modest foot print. I don't think you could get it with android auto though...

Also I will be selling it in a few months but if you are "up north" then Devon might not be practical for you!

Master
    I have owned a CX3 for four years...a 2.0 Sport Nav on a late 17 plate and put 40000 miles on it with only one small fault...the folding electric mirror are prone to stop working due to water ingress(Mazda will honour these out of warranty).

I don't think you can go wrong with the kit as i love the HUD heated seats steering wheel Bose reversing camera etc.

It dosen't come with Android Auto but it is a dealer fit at Mazda for £350 so bear in mind.

My mother liked mine so much she bought one a 19 plate with slightly better sound insulation...front parking sensors and electronic handbrake.

The boot is a little small but if you have looked then you will know.

It rides well on 18 alloys and i have averaged over 40mpg with mixed driving in that time.

The gearbox is the best in it's class as it is like the MX5(also owned one at the same time)

Would have bought a Mazda CX30 to replace it but as per the previous thread today about life being too short and which car i am 60 in January with health issues so i have bought a 3 year old Golf R(think the R stands for responsible)

Any more questions ask away.

Oxymoron there.

Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    I have a 67 plate Honda Civic Tourer 1.8 petrol manual which is an excellent car with an awesome boot and practicality despite the modest foot print. I don't think you could get it with android auto though...

Also I will be selling it in a few months but if you are "up north" then Devon might not be practical for you!
    I was amazed more cars, especially Japanese cars, didn't come with car play and Android auto as standard.

I'll take a look at the tourer, I do like a Honda

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    I have owned a CX3 for four years...a 2.0 Sport Nav on a late 17 plate and put 40000 miles on it with only one small fault...the folding electric mirror are prone to stop working due to water ingress(Mazda will honour these out of warranty).

I don't think you can go wrong with the kit as i love the HUD heated seats steering wheel Bose reversing camera etc.

It dosen't come with Android Auto but it is a dealer fit at Mazda for £350 so bear in mind.

My mother liked mine so much she bought one a 19 plate with slightly better sound insulation...front parking sensors and electronic handbrake.

The boot is a little small but if you have looked then you will know.

It rides well on 18 alloys and i have averaged over 40mpg with mixed driving in that time.

The gearbox is the best in it's class as it is like the MX5(also owned one at the same time)

Would have bought a Mazda CX30 to replace it but as per the previous thread today about life being too short and which car i am 60 in January with health issues so i have bought a 3 year old Golf R(think the R stands for responsible)

Any more questions ask away.

This is what I'm here for, a bit of validation!

I'm looking at the sport nav plus which seems to come with everything. I've seen a few with Android auto but they are few and far between

I had a polo GTi last year, fast VWs bring plenty of smiles. Great choice.

Master
    If your budgets will stretch to it then Sport Nav Plus is the one.

None of the CX3's even the last came with Android Auto as standard and the way to tell if it's fitted is that one of the two USB ports in the centre console will have white markings.

If your budgets will stretch to it then Sport Nav Plus is the one.

None of the CX3's even the last came with Android Auto as standard and the way to tell if it's fitted is that one of the two USB ports in the centre console will have white markings.
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...cation=at_cars

Thanks for the heads up. I've spent a few tedious session looking for the mark next to usb points.

The one in the link has it and looks to be a decent buy

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Oxymoron there.
    I have owned two Renaults and mechanically they were far superior to any Audi, VW or BMW I have owned, some minor electrical issues was all they suffered, but good cars generally and the main point was to get a new/nearly new car with a warranty so it makes it a safe bet for several years.

I have owned two Renaults and mechanically they were far superior to any Audi, VW or BMW I have owned, some minor electrical issues was all they suffered, but good cars generally and the main point was to get a new/nearly new car with a warranty so it makes it a safe bet for several years.
    Like I say, not a bad suggestion and I have already had a look. It's ridiculous my grudge against the brand, the cup series of cars they produce look great fun

Master
    A qashqai ? The wife loved hers putting 100k on it in 3 years, not a single issue.
    Plenty of toys on them as well.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

looking at cx-3's myself though the 150ps awd version - theres not as many about though, if the boot is big enough i'd say its the best looking small suv out there atm.
    if you are not bothered about an suv then give a seat leon a look, the 1.8 petrol version comes with 180ps and loads of tech and you will get one the same yr/price as the mazda.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    looking at cx-3's myself though the 150ps awd version - theres not as many about though, if the boot is big enough i'd say its the best looking small suv out there atm.
    if you are not bothered about an suv then give a seat leon a look, the 1.8 petrol version comes with 180ps and loads of tech and you will get one the same yr/price as the mazda.
    I'll take a look.

I was thinking along the same lines with the AWD version, although comparing you don't seem to get much for the extra consumption. Why are you not going for the fwd version if you don't mind me asking?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    A Class Mercedes. A lovely underrated car, overshadowed by everything else Mercedes do.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    A series Mercedes.
    We had one of those a few years back, wife loved it but I'm not sure with the servicing costs and what spec we would be able to get. I'll take a look.

Agree, we have owned a multitude of French cars and never had a problem with them. We have two French cars atm and both are super reliable (plus a motorhome with a Peugeot engine), economical and still look and perform great after a combined 60k. Our Merc however has just thrown up a load of fault lights which isn't going to be cheap to sort. French engines are used in a huge amount of vehicles the world over. I think that those who jump on the bandwagon and criticise French autos probably know very little about cars.

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    A qashqai ? The wife loved hers putting 100k on it in 3 years, not a single issue.
    Plenty of toys on them as well.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Had a juke before this and the wife hated it, plus we had a bad experience with nissan when it went wrong. I know we are in minority as it comes high in a lot of tests but it's not for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I think that those who jump on the bandwagon and criticise French autos probably know very little about cars.
    More likely that those people have owned French cars in the past - my old Renault still gives me nightmares.

Anyway, my 2017 Mitsubishi ASX has been bloody brilliant and you should be able to pick up a 2019 2 litre within your budget.

The 2.0 lites petrol engine suits the CX-3 well - loads of torque for an easy, relaxing drive.

Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    I'll take a look.

I was thinking along the same lines with the AWD version, although comparing you don't seem to get much for the extra consumption. Why are you not going for the fwd version if you don't mind me asking?
    30 more hp than the 2wd and the 4wd usually has the bose sound system , im pretty sure both share the same engine though the fwd has been de tuned for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    30 more hp than the 2wd and the 4wd usually has the bose sound system , im pretty sure both share the same engine though the fwd has been de tuned for some reason.
    All the sport nav plus come with Bose, one reason I stopped looking at the sport black plus edition because it doesn't.

They look to be about the same performance wise, will be thirsty, like the idea of 4wd, just not sure we have the need for it.

I think that those who jump on the bandwagon and criticise French autos probably know very little about cars.
    Obviously don't know as much as you do about cars but can still comment on their reliability from my own experience.

Agree, we have owned a multitude of French cars and never had a problem with them. We have two French cars atm and both are super reliable (plus a motorhome with a Peugeot engine), economical and still look and perform great after a combined 60k. Our Merc however has just thrown up a load of fault lights which isn't going to be cheap to sort. French engines are used in a huge amount of vehicles the world over. I think that those who jump on the bandwagon and criticise French autos probably know very little about cars.
    Can only speak from personal experience, but had more trouble with Peugeot, Citroen and Renault than any other car I’ve owned to date. Well apart from my brother blowing up the engine on my Subaru P1!
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    Was it the 1ltr turbo? How did it hold up? I do like the look of them
    1.5 Auto It was great the leather seats were quite hard though had to have 2 side indicator lenses replaced under warranty as these let water in but apart from that typical Honda reliability

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    More likely that those people have owned French cars in the past - my old Renault still gives me nightmares.

Anyway, my 2017 Mitsubishi ASX has been bloody brilliant and you should be able to pick up a 2019 2 litre within your budget.
    I had 2 Peugeot 406s one was fine the other a total nightmare that I was glad to see the back of

Master

Would have bought a Mazda CX30 to replace it but as per the previous thread today about life being too short and which car i am 60 in January with health issues so i have bought a 3 year old Golf R(think the R stands for iRResponsible
    There you go go fixed it for you. Great life choice , enjoy, my friend has just sold his GTI and bought a Cupra with a Golf Responsible engine in , wow its quick.

Master
    Well the CX3 went today replaced by this...i will miss the Mazda and will have another one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post

Haven’t Mitsubishi withdrawn from the UK market? Might make servicing tricky in the future and lower the residual values going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Well the CX3 went today replaced by this...i will miss the Mazda and will have another one.

Very smart

Master
    Toyota Yaris 5-door with should be doable for under £16,000 on a 2018 plate. If you go for hybrid power for the cost savings on short runs it has to be a CVT automatic.

Last edited by J J Carter; 30th April 2022 at 18:19.

Master
    We have the mk10 Honda Civic with carplay 1ltr turbo and it’s a cracking wee car, worse I can say about it is 1st gear is slightly short.

I believe that the jazz and hr-v also share the same infotainment unit.

Also consider if not to small then £16k gets you into a new Toyota Aygo, or a 2018 on Yaris