closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: There's heroes and heroes.

Blog Entries

There's heroes and heroes.

In 2009 a Dutch Special Operations captain called Marco Kroon received the Willems Orde Medal from (then) Queen Beatrix. In short: a Willems Orde can be compared with the UK's Victoria Cross. Only a few and brave get that medal.

Kroon started his military career serving in the Dutch Marine Corps. He then applied for the Army's Officers Academy and after graduation he became an officer with the Dutch Commandos. Kroon is, what they call, I think- a Marine Commando.

He served in Afghanistan. He and his platoon were engaged by the Taliban, totally outnumbered and the Taliban was closing in. He asked for a C-130 strike on his own position and had his men taking cover while he guided the C-130 to attack the Taliban who were more or less between his own troops. None of the commandos was hurt. In fact, he ordered his men to take care of the wounded Taliban and cover up the dead.

For that bravery and gallantry, he received the Willems Orde.

Fast forward: last week. Kroon lives in the south of the country in a small village. He heard screaming and when he had a look, he found a young lad living next door suffocating in something that he'd swallowed. "The boy was completely blue. The Heimlich maneuver didn't work. I remembered a 'plan b' maneuver I'd picked up from a Marines instructor; a few blows on the back did the trick. Luckily I didn't break one of his ribs! I stepped away when the ambulance arrived."

There's heroes and heroes.

His platoon in Afghanistan. (Pic from the Dutch MoD website)
    Last edited by thieuster; 1st May 2022 at 18:20.

Master
    Good drills.

Thanks for sharing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Lasting memory of: “Remember your training!”

J

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Great story Menno, but it's back slaps first, abdominal thrust after (not called heimlich for years due to yanks suing the family when it went wrong)

Great story

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk