closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: EV ownership; what do I need to know?

EV ownership; what do I need to know?

I’ve had a Volkswagen ID3 on order for 7 months and it’s been delayed again, for the 3rd time. I’m fully aware of the semi-conductor shortage and I’ve been well informed along the way, but today I gave up and cancelled my order.

Instead, I went out and bought a used MGZS EV! It’s a super little machine, from what I’ve experienced so far.

PodPoint is due to be installed in a few weeks, so I’ll be charging via 3 pin or local Tesco for the interim.

I had it in my head that I needed a 250mi range or more, and have compromised with the ZS to 165…

So, what do I need to know about EV ownership?
    Last edited by RickChard; 7th April 2022 at 23:10.

Picture for reference, it has everything: reversing camera, heated seats, sunroof, Apple CarPlay etc

Master
    First thing to know is, if 165 miles is the official range, in winter expect about 110-120.
    I’ve got an Enyaq 60 with an official range of 256 miles on a full charge but it’s really around the 180-200 mile range in the cold months.
    Download zap-map if you haven’t already. It’s a cracking app telling you where all the chargers are.

Isn’t there a massive arse thread on this already?

My daughter has owned a ZSEV Exclusive for about two years now. She absolutely loves it although, as Jaytip says, the range is less than the 165 quoted and more like 110-120.

She still charges from a three pin plug and hadn’t felt the need to get a home charger yet.

I’ve driven it a few times and really like it, especially the adaptive cruise control.

The new model has a 72kwhr battery as opposed to the 45kwhr in the first model so considerably more range.

I test drove the MG5 EV and almost bought one, that’s a cracking car for the money too.

Our Ipace claims 296, we have never got better than 210,

Be careful relying on Tesco, they throttle their chargers.

The current cause of most car manufacturing shutdowns in Europe is that a very large proportion of wiring looms are made in the Ukraine,

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Isn’t there a massive arse thread on this already?
    Here you go :-)

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ble-option-now

Also take a look at this EV Forum

https://www.speakev.com

Agree about the reduced range during the colder months.

I have used a "Granny Charger" a few times when staying away from home and though extremely slow, works well if you are not intending to use the vehicle for 12 or more hours.

Journeyman
    Driving on the motorway saps the battery considerably more than driving around town. Having only done the latter, a motorway journey caused the range to drop at an alarming level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubled_Joe View Post
    Driving on the motorway saps the battery considerably more than driving around town. Having only done the latter, a motorway journey caused the range to drop at an alarming level.

I have found the opposite. Driving on motorway at a legal speed and range is close to quoted on our LR Tesla. Driving short journeys around town and nowhere near it. Makes sense, as the battery needs energy to heat up, by the time it is up to temp, you may have ended your short journey. Also, energy used to heat a cold cabin, etc.

Again. I concur with all above. We have a BMW i3S it has been great. Quoted range is is 177, realistically 155. In Eco Pro Plus and keeping below 55mph you can achieve or fractionally better the WLTP range if you drive like a saint in mild weather. When it was -4c this winter range was down to 100 miles. Weather, speed and load makes range very varied. I am currently looking at a new EV, I drove the MG ZS and was extremely impressed, but I think a Kia EV6 might be on the drive next.

Master
    Not regularly mentioned but EV cars tend to cause significantly more car sickness

Master
    Go petrol or diesel, they are the future.............

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    I get between 155>190miles on my Model X 90kW despite it stating 230.. obviously this depends on temp and what the journey is.

B

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Again. I concur with all above. We have a BMW i3S it has been great. Quoted range is is 177, realistically 155. In Eco Pro Plus and keeping below 55mph you can achieve or fractionally better the WLTP range if you drive like a saint in mild weather. When it was -4c this winter range was down to 100 miles. Weather, speed and load makes range very varied. I am currently looking at a new EV, I drove the MG ZS and was extremely impressed, but I think a Kia EV6 might be on the drive next.
    Just a quick update. I today had to do a reasonable journey for work. I put it in Eco Pro Plus and drove like a saint, as mentioned previously the WLTP is quoted at 177, I was very close to 200 miles, so an easy 10+% improvement and I was still keeping a reasonable pace and not just a rolling road block. Averaging nearly 5 miles per KWh from the 42kwh battery is not to be sniffed at. I really like the i3S.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Not regularly mentioned but EV cars tend to cause significantly more car sickness
    Can’t say I’ve experienced this and my customers absolutely love it.

I suffer badly with car sickness and don't have any issues as a passenger in the Tesla as a passenger.

Usually the back is the worst for it but I've never sat in the back of any of our cars.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I suffer badly with car sickness and don't have any issues as a passenger in the Tesla as a passenger.

Usually the back is the worst for it but I've never sat in the back of any of our cars.
    I was a passenger in one last weekend and I really felt it, mind you it was primarily country roads

But it does seem to be a known issue

https://tesla-info.com/tips/car-sickness.php

I was a passenger in one last weekend and I really felt it, mind you it was primarily country roads

But it does seem to be a known issue

https://tesla-info.com/tips/car-sickness.php
    The one thing which helps/hinders is being on my phone. If I’m in the back seat of any car I cannot be looking down at my phone.

Not sure if it’s the same with you but I just have to look ahead. This is why I’m always the one driving.

Master
    They are great to drive. I find EV driving very relaxing as the power delivery is smooth and it’s available immediately. There is no gearbox so no bumping as gears change. You’ll learn to mostly drive with your right foot only as regen breaking often means you don’t need to use the actual brake.

Public charging infrastructure isn’t there yet. If you are traveling and need to charge, always make sure you have a plan B and plan C (and sometimes D, E and F) charging options. This covers you for chargers being used by other EVs, blocked by ICE cars or unfortunately frequently either out of order or for whatever reason won’t work with your car.

If you can get cheap overnight electricity (Econ 7, Octopus cheap rate) go for it, I fully charge my Kia eNiro for about 3 Quid and get 225-275 miles out of it (depending on temperature and how heavy my right foot is).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Our Ipace claims 296, we have never got better than 210,

Be careful relying on Tesco, they throttle their chargers.

The current cause of most car manufacturing shutdowns in Europe is that a very large proportion of wiring looms are made in the Ukraine,
    Thoughts on the ipace? Have a test drive booked midweek.