closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driver fined £417 and 5 points for getting too close to cyclist on other side of road

Driver fined £417 and 5 points for getting too close to cyclist on other side of road

This is nuts
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...64744.html?amp

I can only assume the driver got caught out and didn’t defend this, I wonder if he can appeal the ridiculous punishment

To be fair he's not even on his side of the road

that’s mad, you get a similar fine and points just for killing a cyclist or a pedestrian while driving.

Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    To be fair he's not even on his side of the road
    Wasn’t he avoiding a tree sticking out? Surely the cyclist should give way as the parked car was in their side of the road.

Tough one. He’s definitely over his lane but the cyclists had the entire road and didn’t need to be that far out.

I’m motorbikes you are essentially governed by TED (Time Exposed to Danger) and the cyclists could do with this being explained to them and keeping it in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Wasn’t he avoiding a tree sticking out? Surely the cyclist should give way as the parked car was in their side of the road.
    Video quality isn't great but I can't see anything sticking out. Plus they have made no attempt to slow down.

I'm certainly no defender of cyclists but I'd say that's dangerous driving

Been a while since I read the Highway Code, but shouldn’t the cyclist have given way as the obstruction was on their side?

I cycled for many years (hip/back has kept my off for a while) but I always erred on the side of caution taking eh view it’s better to be alive than right.

Was on a classic car run at the weekend down lots of narrow lanes, couple of us were forced to stop going up hill as a coupe of cyclist decided the passing place wasn’t for then and down the hill they came passing us as considerable speed when we had right off way.

This is nuts
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...64744.html?amp

I can only assume the driver got caught out and didn’t defend this, I wonder if he can appeal the ridiculous punishment
    Adrian, do you have young kids or elderly parents? - if so, imagine they’re cycling down a country road, what speed and distance do you think vehicles should pass them at?

I feel that if motorists passed cyclists like they would their own family they’d be a lot fewer instances like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Adrian, do you have young kids or elderly parents? - if so, imagine they’re cycling down a country road, what speed and distance do you think vehicles should pass them at?

I feel that if motorists passed cyclists like they would their own family they’d be a lot fewer instances like this.
    But that wasn’t a quiet country lane, to me it looks like a 60 mph road, I cycle and there is no way I would have been in that position on the road

If I was the cyclist I would have waited behind the parked car as an automatic self-preservation tactic.

However, the oncoming driver failed to slow in preparation for the oncoming hazards of cyclist and parked car, and even crossed the white line as he/she went past at speed. Ultimately the driver deserved it and will think a bit harder next time.

But that wasn’t a quiet country lane, to me it looks like a 60 mph road, I cycle and there is no way I would have been in that position on the road
    C'mon! You know full well that you drive to the conditions and the road, not the max speed limit. The driver was approaching a T-junction and just beyond that a parked car and cyclists. 60mph limit or not, they should have slowed.

I imagine ego takes over in many of these incidents as driver doesn't want to concede ground to a cyclist, and cyclist wants to make a point about driver and cars. Both paths are wrong and fraught with misery.

Be cool, fools

Cyclist is totally in the right and in primary position to overtake the car in his lane and be clear of the ‘door zone’.
    the motorist has crossed the white line and that’s the main reason for the points and fine (no idea how that compares to other infringements)
    the highway code states:
    “127
    A broken white line. This marks the centre of the road. When this line lengthens and the gaps shorten, it means that there is a hazard ahead. Do not cross it unless you can see the road is clear and wish to overtake or turn off.”

the road wasn’t clear and that’s why he’s been fined, if you don’t realise why he’s in the wrong then you really need to go and read the highway code again.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    He’s going way too fast in that situation.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks more than fair to me. The oncoming car isn’t even on his own side of the road whereas the cyclist is well within their own side.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Tough one. He’s definitely over his lane but the cyclists had the entire road and didn’t need to be that far out.

I’m motorbikes you are essentially governed by TED (Time Exposed to Danger) and the cyclists could do with this being explained to them and keeping it in mind.
    What if the “parked car” driver suddenly opened his door? It’d be messy. That’s the greatest danger here in my eyes

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    What if the “parked car” driver suddenly opened his door? It’d be messy. That’s the greatest danger here in my eyes
    No such thing as a “what if” law, though, especially for a parked car which may not have any occupant.

Master
    I was just about to say that, the cyclist(s) should have given way to the car.

The cyclists isn't a car, there's plenty of room to pass the parked car.

The person driving should have slowed down and been in their own lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    I was just about to say that, the cyclist(s) should have given way to the car.
    incorrect. the cyclist has done nothing wrong, the police are of the same opinion which is why the motorist has been fined.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yet more undertones of anti cycling agendas. People just need to be more patient and respectful of each other and show consideration for the road users most at risk in a confrontation.

Cases like this serve to set the agenda that there needs to be consideration in proportion to the risks.

More people on bikes is good for society and as such we should all expect the political winds to blow in that direction.

The cyclist had plenty of room staying within his lane

the car driver swerved to avoid a tree - towards a cyclist, crossing the centre line in the process??

not even the Green Party would countenance that.

I see it plenty on my motorbike- where the car driver decides rather than wait- he will overtake a cyclist with me in the opposite lane - thereby endangering us both.

Blog Entries
    When I'm on my motorcycle I always try to remember this.

Perhaps some cyclists would do well to do the same?

"Here lies the body of William Jay, Who died maintaining his right of way – He was right, dead right, as he sped along, But he's just as dead as if he were wrong." - Dale Carnegie.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Driver fined £417 and 5 points for getting too close to cyclist on other side of road

If there was a tree sticking out they both had an obstruction on their side.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    When I'm on my motorcycle I always try to remember this.

Perhaps some cyclists would do well to do the same?

"Here lies the body of William Jay, Who died maintaining his right of way – He was right, dead right, as he sped along, But he's just as dead as if he were wrong." - Dale Carnegie.
    It’s well worth remembering this; self preservation trumps being in the right.

I've just looked at it again on a much larger screen, unfortunately that video does not tell the whole story, at the very beginning of the clip you can see that the car has to avoid a bush or tree on his side of the road, I would have thought that got his attention first as he clearly saw it to avoid it, maybe he hadn't seen the pushbikes at that point, I would have slowed down, It does amaze me on country lanes the number of cars (especially builders vans) that take no prisoners coming the other way, you just breath in and hope.

I still find the prosecution over top, unless as I said earlier he didn't defend it.

The one that infuriates me is when I'm going along a road and pushbike is on the other side travelling toward me and a car over takes it, this seems to happen more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It’s well worth remembering this; self preservation trumps being in the right.
    it’s also worth pointing out that the onus to pilot ones vehicle in the appropriate manner lies with the motorist in this instance, they didn’t cause any harm to anyone that day, hopefully the points and fine means they don’t tomorrow.

I see piss poor driving every day, sometimes i don’t have to leave the house but just look out the window and see people driving and using mobiles (on an urban national cycle route)

the standard of driving in the U.K. is very poor despite the recent rule changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    If there was a tree sticking out they both had an obstruction on their side.
    And only one of them involves crossing the white line with another road user in the other lane.
    I hope you don’t drive if you think the motorist was not at fault, maybe think about re-taking your test or at least going on a refresher course if so.

Master
    Disappointed that the driver wasn't more heavily fined. Bang to rights.

Driver certainly looks to be going to quick, but no indication of speed limit for the road.
    He has just gone over the white line.
    I really do need to get a dashcam fitted.

With cars sizes getting larger and larger, these situations will become more commonplace. Not excusing the driver, but the road width was never designed for todays car size. The vehicle has barely any room either side of them whilst maintaining their side of the road. Widening country lanes is not an option so perhaps the only real risk reduction method would be to apply speed limits rather than NSL, but then again it would need to be enforceable. One for when we inevitably get those limiters that don't allow you to drive over the speed limit on a given road.

The driver was in the wrong for sure, crossing the line and going quite fast. The cyclist was a little far out at the same time, but then the cyclist in the middle (in blue) who the car came closest did not even react, no flinch, correction of position, turn to check, they just kept on going, which to me says he / she did not think it was an issue at the time.

I cycle and have cars come way closer to me than in the video posted.

but the road width was never designed for todays car size
    i would say todays cars were never designed for most U.K. roads.
    the size of them!? you would think that with modern advances in materials and computer modelling that a safe and roomy vehicle could be built without a huge increase in size.
    look at the size of an original mini compared to todays version, and those big volvo’s don’t have any more interior space in yet are bigger than transit vans of a few years ago.

there need to be more women car designers as the male ego seems to have far too much influence.

He's going way too fast for the road / conditions and crosses over the white line. Zero sympathy from me. The driver has a responsibility to adapt their driving for potential hazards, this person looks like they think they own the road.

Claims that the cyclist has gone too far out beyond the parked car are strange, he's well within his side of the road still.
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 26th April 2022 at 11:46.

Too fast and no need to cross the dividing line.

Fair decision

The parked car shouldn’t be over the pavement, that’s issue number one. The car driving on the road should not be over the line at all, issue number two.

The cyclists could be much better positioned. Maybe they don’t *need* to be, but they really should be. They’re the most vulnerable road user and when I’m out cycling on my bike I have this is mind always. No point being hit by a car for the sake of being right.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    And only one of them involves crossing the white line with another road user in the other lane.
    I hope you don’t drive if you think the motorist was not at fault, maybe think about re-taking your test or at least going on a refresher course if so.
    Don’t know why you think I think the motorist was not at fault but thanks for your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    incorrect. the cyclist has done nothing wrong, the police are of the same opinion which is why the motorist has been fined.
    It will be interesting to see what the motoring organisation think, "The Alliance of British Drivers said it 'undermines the credibility of the courts and the police', with other critics suggesting the cyclist should have given way"

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Plenty of room for the cyclists to have popped up onto the pavement and cycled between the car and the wall.

Master
    Blog Entries
    - Cyclists have done nothing wrong. Even without a parked car they are entitled to use the center of the lane. Though yes, they could possibly have ridden more defensively.
    - The parked car should have a fine for pavement parking
    - Unless definitively the car was overtaking an obstacle then it shouldn't have been over the white line.
    - Even if there was an obstacle on its side too, basic reading of the road ahead and prediction should have made driver slow right down when faced with an obstacle on both sides of the road and oncoming cyclists.

Craftsman
    Might get some stick, but I find cyclist a menace on roads and on pavements. They appear to have a law to themselves.

That being said the driver did seem to be going too fast and should have staid in there own lane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Linc View Post
    Might get some stick, but I find cyclist a menace on roads and on pavements. They appear to have a law to themselves.

That being said the driver did seem to be going too fast and should have staid in there own lane.

Certainly the comments about cyclists are very generalised smears. Upsetting to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    - Cyclists have done nothing wrong. Even without a parked car they are entitled to use the center of the lane. Though yes, they could possibly have ridden more defensively.
    - Unless definitively the car was overtaking an obstacle then it shouldn't have been over the white line.
    - Even if there was an obstacle on its side too, basic reading of the road ahead and prediction should have made driver slow right down when faced with an obstacle on both sides of the road and oncoming cyclists.
    This sums the situation up perfectly.

There should be no criticism of the cyclists whatsoever, they did absolutely nothing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    This sums the situation up perfectly.

There should be no criticism of the cyclists whatsoever, they did absolutely nothing wrong.
    The new highway code changes - encourage them to take a dominant positition in the lane (a la motorcycles).

Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    Certainly the comments about cyclists are very generalised smears. Upsetting to read. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I cycle more often than I drive and I definitely see greater number of bad drivers than I do cyclists...most often caused by a lack of patience.

The only group of cyclists that are a menace to both drivers and pedestrians are those ferral kids that cycle through the centre of London in large groups, mostly on one wheel ignoring any rule of the road and purposely playing chicken with oncoming cars.

Reading the article, says the driver moved towards the cyclist and those following, and accelerated towards them.

Really dickish behaviour, speculative I know but probably something they've done before, just this time it was caught on camera.

Completely avoidable if the driver hadn't been a bellend.

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    No such thing as a “what if” law, though, especially for a parked car which may not have any occupant.
    Nothing to do with any 'law'. When you're on a bike you have to be alert, look ahead, & expect the unexpected. That way you have more chance of surviving. If you assume that every parked car does not or may not have an occupant then one day you are very likely going to collide with an opened car door. I've experienced that myself, as has Mrs T-7. in my case the top corner of the door pierced my lung. Consequently I pass every 'parked' car with a buffer of 1.5m. The recent Highway Code revision on 29th Jan advocates the 'Dutch Reach' technique for opening your car door. However I certainly won't be relying on every driver being conversant with that recommendation, let alone implementing it.

Nothing to do with any 'law'. When you're on a bike you have to be alert, look ahead, & expect the unexpected. That way you have more chance of surviving. If you assume that every parked car does not or may not have an occupant then one day you are very likely going to collide with an opened car door. I've experienced that myself, as has Mrs T-7. in my case the top corner of the door pierced my lung. Consequently I pass every 'parked' car with a buffer of 1.5m. The recent Highway Code revision on 29th Jan advocates the 'Dutch Reach' technique for opening your car door. However I certainly won't be relying on every driver being conversant with that recommendation, let alone implementing it.

You do (have to be alert) - but you stated "What if the “parked car” driver suddenly opened his door? It’d be messy. That’s the greatest danger here in my eyes"

on one side there was a 'possible' opening door - on the other side there was a car closing on the cyclist at 50mph? is the door really the greatest danger?

Craftsman

You do (have to be alert) - but you stated "What if the “parked car” driver suddenly opened his door? It’d be messy. That’s the greatest danger here in my eyes"

on one side there was a 'possible' opening door - on the other side there was a car closing on the cyclist at 50mph? is the door really the greatest danger?
    The worry is that if the car opens their door and hits you, you’ll be knocked in front of the oncoming car. If you pass the car wide enough to avoid that possibility, you will need to go close to the 50mph car, but at least you can control the latter. Sounds weird but getting doored leads to bad and unexpected outcomes and may be worse than you perhaps assume.

Master
    Blog Entries

In my eyes....Yes, absolutely. The oncoming car would have barely registered for me. Unless they had murderous intent it wasn't even close.

Why is the punishment ridiculous? The driver hasn’t a care in the world. Couldn’t care less who he frightens off the road and, frankly, risks killing if he hits them. “Car is king” has to be over. There are vulnerable road users who need and deserve protection. I expect if that was your son or daughter who was buzzed too close and at speed you’d be up in arms.

I’m not getting scared off the road, I have a camera front and back and when I’ve been subjected to dangerous driving like that I fight back. It’s simply unacceptable.