closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Casio G-Shock GW 5000. The only watch you ever need?

The Casio G-Shock GW 5000. The only watch you ever need?

Im sure many of us here own or have owned one of these. I have 3 (including a spare and another spare) and if i think about it, however many and whatever brand of watch i have in my collection, this one does the hard yards. It can be worn anywhere from gardening to swimming to decorating or anywhere I'm concerned about getting mugged and it's always completely accurate and comfortable to wear. Its not the end of the world if its damaged or stolen ( although its tough as old boots and not worth much) If, for whatever reason, i had to get rid of my watches, I think i'd hang on to this (these). I've even got a spare case and a spare strap.......

Anyone agree?

The Casio G-Shock GW 5000. The only watch you ever need?

Well, I currently have 35 Casio g shocks and due to my eyesight not being as good as it used to be, I plan to cut down to just a couple. And the GW-5000U is a definite keeper. It’s easy to read compared to most, and for a solar atomic the alarm is reasonably loud. It also dispenses with the Bluetooth and app nonsense, the only issue is it barely fits my wrist but a rubber O ring keeper deals with that. Tbh I’m not convinced it’s all that much better than the normal 5610, that model actually fits me better and the stiffer strap actually wears more comfortably. But it’s nice to know it’s got the solid steel case and screwback like its original ancestor - so it suits my WIS needs too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I used to think that, although a 5610 would do everything just as well for a fraction of the price and lighter weight package.

And then I got older and I now can't read the dial of a digital of that size without taking my glasses off or wearing bifocals.

So, to me none of the GW5000/GWM5610 or similar work.

However, now the king is dead, long live the king - the Casioak which I can read without changing my glasses. No radio or solar but having had those for many years I've realised that they're really not necessary. I obviously need to take my glasses off to use the additional functions but that's easy enough to do when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    I used to think that, although a 5610 would do everything just as well for a fraction of the price and lighter weight package.

And then I got older and I now can't read the dial of a digital of that size without taking my glasses off or wearing bifocals.

However, now the king is dead, long live the king - the Casioak which I can read without changing my glasses. No radio or solar but having had those for many years I've realised that they're really not necessary. I obviously need to take my glasses off to use the additional functions but that's easy enough to do when needed.
    I like that watch.

Isn't the 5610 plastic rather than softer silicone?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    I like that watch.

Isn't the 5610 plastic rather than softer silicone?
    True. I see the 5000 as the WIS incarnation of the 5600/5610 and as such a 'WIS' choice and therefore not a rational choice. Plastic Vs softer (silicon or whatever it is that does it) as all the watch anyone ever needs is splitting hairs, and the extra weight of the 5000 I would argue is actually a downside.

I'm really just being argumentative and also a bit frustrated that eyes aren't what they were. The 5000 is a brill WIS watch. I used to own a couple.10461313084_cb8057c565_b.jpg

I think a G-Shock is an easy add-on to any collection. It adds something different and there's enough variety to suit most peoples tastes.

I ordered one of these yesterday so should arrive next week, quite excited as I always wanted them to add a matt black to the steel range

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Well, I currently have 35 Casio g shocks and due to my eyesight not being as good as it used to be, I plan to cut down to just a couple. And the GW-5000U is a definite keeper. It’s easy to read compared to most, and for a solar atomic the alarm is reasonably loud. It also dispenses with the Bluetooth and app nonsense, the only issue is it barely fits my wrist but a rubber O ring keeper deals with that. Tbh I’m not convinced it’s all that much better than the normal 5610, that model actually fits me better and the stiffer strap actually wears more comfortably. But it’s nice to know it’s got the solid steel case and screwback like its original ancestor - so it suits my WIS needs too!

Been trying not to order one for a while now, good to know though given what we were talking about previously on your other thread! Have you tried the GX-56 ‘King’?

I owned the GX-56 King a few years ago and it genuinely was the king of all Gs. It was the regular, positive display model and I've have one again in a heartbeat if I could find one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
    Been trying not to order one for a while now, good to know though given what we were talking about previously on your other thread! Have you tried the GX-56 ‘King’?

Yes I’ve tried the king and - given the fact I have 9 inch wrists - it wears stupidly large imho! - the biggest drawback is the negative display, they don’t make a positive version any more. It’s almost impossible to read in my experience unless it’s a bright sunny day

I still have mine guys, seriously thought about sending it to a Gshock modder. Years back I remember seeing a step by step tutorial to convert them. It was using some sort of film if I remember correctly.

The ocd part of me loves the over engineering. No spring bars, even the buckle is a threaded bar.
    Last edited by Jambo; 27th April 2022 at 22:49.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post

only thing i hate is that its so frustrating and hard to change the time on the damn thing!!!

Has everyone seen the recently announced solar and Bluetooth version?

https://www.g-central.com/g-shock-ga...luetooth-link/

https://youtu.be/NPRCTKx6lIo

Solar, radio controlled G-Shock is the perfect beater. This one is my choice, the exceptionally easy to wear GW056...

Craftsman

Got mine today. Loving the monochrome look. On the whole definitely prefer it to my 5610.

Rocking mine today…

Master

Not quite a 5000.

This is a 5600u with the bezel from a 5610B and a 5000 strap. I gave up the screw in case back for a titanium one.

Craftsman
    I only own one G, the 5610U but looking at the 5000U in some of the photos, I am tempted to take a look at this model.....I only need one digital piece in my collection so an upgrade might be on the cards.