closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Gypsy King Retires?

Craftsman
    For what it’s worth:
    Boxing writer Jeff Powell published his all time top 10 heavyweights on Monday
    1. Muhammad Ali
    2. Joe Louis
    3. Larry Holmes
    4. Joe Frazier
    5. Mike Tyson
    6. George Foreman
    7. Lennox Lewis
    8. Tyson Fury
    9. Jack Johnson
    10. Rocky Marciano

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    For what it’s worth:
    1. Muhammad Ali
    2. Joe Louis
    3. Larry Holmes
    4. Joe Frazier
    5. Mike Tyson
    6. George Foreman
    7. Lennox Lewis
    8. Tyson Fury
    9. Jack Johnson
    10. Rocky Marciano
    No Audley Harrison? ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    For what it’s worth:
    1. Muhammad Ali
    2. Joe Louis
    3. Larry Holmes
    4. Joe Frazier
    5. Mike Tyson
    6. George Foreman
    7. Lennox Lewis
    8. Tyson Fury
    9. Jack Johnson
    10. Rocky Marciano
    Interesting that he too places Fury in his top ten list, maybe Fury being spoken of in GOAT conversations is not as ridiculous as it may seem to some. I appreciate like most other things the perspective one has in a conversation like this is very subjective.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Interesting that he too places Fury in his top ten list, maybe Fury being spoken of in GOAT conversations is not as ridiculous as it may seem to some. I appreciate like most other things the perspective one has in a conversation like this is very subjective.
    To be the GOAT you have to be number one surely?

Craftsman
    Who would be classed as pound for pound greatest? Would interesting to to see peoples picks and why.

Pernell Whitacker: watch him hit without being hit and his use of angles: just an awesome boxer, not everyones fav and it’s obviously super subjective but he’s my goat!
    Seriously check out his fights on YouTube you won’t be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Idc0001 View Post
    Who would be classed as pound for pound greatest? Would interesting to to see peoples picks and why.
    floyd mayweather jr

Master

Both Sugar Ray's were not half bad though only saw one in my lifetime!

He was sublimely fast and skilful and I loved watching him, he really did make you appreciate the 'sweet science'
    Last edited by tango; 6th May 2022 at 00:21.

The great Welsh boxer Sugar Dai Betes was marvellous. He had a sweet right hand.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    The great Welsh boxer Sugar Dai Betes was marvellous. He had a sweet right hand.
    Kid Chocolate was better

"Sugar" Ray Robinson was the p4p greatest boxer who ever lived. I'm saying that in the accent of Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall in the barber shop in "Coming to America."

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Tyson was bigger than boxing for a while. He kind of hit the realms of Elvis, Beatles type fame. And when he was in his prime there wasn’t anyone more exciting. Clearly he isn’t the greatest boxer ever due to motivation and incidents out of boxing but for part of his career he was brilliant.

And I’m of the opinion you hit greatness by challenging yourself in boxing and not by manipulating a win streak; I’d choose Canelo over Mayweather any day as the better boxer.

But, I think Tyson could hold his own against any of the fighters mentioned. He’s a brilliant boxer and 6’9.
    Interesting you choose Canelo over Mayweather given the outcome of their fight...

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I certainly hope it does, it should be a good match if AJ is hungry.

Master
    It just shows the confidence of Fury. Everything to lose and nothing to really gain. It’s 100% clear now who was dodging who.

Also, no way AJ accepts!

Fury will demand an 80/20 split, so it will never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    It just shows the confidence of Fury. Everything to lose and nothing to really gain. It’s 100% clear now who was dodging who.

Also, no way AJ accepts!
    Yeah I imagine AJ wants a few tune-up matches before he goes up against someone like Fury

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Fury will demand an 80/20 split, so it will never happen.
    Probably right. But if AJ really thought he could win then taking the fight off 20% purse is the smart move as if he wins the fight he goes from being an also ran to back in the centre of the division. There's nowhere else meaningful for him to go as Wilder would be too much for him. I can't see him beating Fury but it would also get him another shot at Usyk too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Probably right. But if AJ really thought he could win then taking the fight off 20% purse is the smart move as if he wins the fight he goes from being an also ran to back in the centre of the division. There's nowhere else meaningful for him to go as Wilder would be too much for him. I can't see him beating Fury but it would also get him another shot at Usyk too.
    Yes great way for him to establish himself, though I am not too sure even he believes he has a chance against Fury.

Journeyman
    I believe Fury has offered 60-40 which on paper seems generous but AJ is still a massive draw.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    It's up to Eddie (the money) Hearn, not AJ.

The Gypsy King Retires?

Quote Originally Posted by SlipperySam View Post
    I believe Fury has offered 60-40 which on paper seems generous but AJ is still a massive draw.
    Yes, he has confirmed this in a tweet. So there is no reason why this fight should not now go ahead.

Edit- I guess calling for the fight in November could be a stumbling block.
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 7th September 2022 at 01:11.

Master
    No reason for AJ to take this fight, he can’t win and doesn’t need the money.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post

And then do what, retire, or pretend he didn't duck the fight and look to pick off second division opponents? I totally agree he won't win and doesn't need the money but unless he's going to call a mental time out based on the bizarre performance after losing to Usyk, it really is a watershed moment in his career, hard to see another title shot unless Fury vacates down the line.

Master

its a lifeline for him, no one wants to see him knocking out bums any more.

This is just a massive tease, I don’t see it happening Ever!
    Just keeps them relevant and commercial, neither want this fight (yes they both want the W but not the actual fight) Tyson is obviously the favourite but an angry motivated AJ is a force to be reckoned with.
    All that said I’m putting £100 on AJ for a refs stoppage if it ever happens…

Looks like it's happening: https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/eddie-hearn-357522

Let the drama commence

I see it as an sh*t-or-bust for AJ that he'd be crazy to decline. A chance to recover his reputation (and some belts?) in a single fight against a fighter who has nothing left to prove and has already retired once - so may have less desire & drive.

If AJ loses then is he really any worse off? Everyone would expect him to be beaten anyway, but he'd have the biggest payday of his career.

Master
    Fury doing his best to make it happen.

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/s...o3wtfUYcZZNFDg

If AJ never fights Fury he’ll be known for that more than anything else. That will be his legacy.

Clearly scared of the inevitable outcome.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    If AJ never fights Fury he’ll be known for that more than anything else. That will be his legacy.

Agree, but no doubt greed will overcome the tears and tantrums after he’s beaten and sent packing into retirement. Maybe he’ll open a shop back in his hometown and put something back into the community :)

Craftsman

Why would it be his legacy? They arranged a fight once before and it wasn’t Joshua’s fault it failed to go ahead.

Fury likes the sound of his own voice too much. A shame as he’s a great boxer.

How many has he called out this year during his stints of being retired and un-retired? He was calling out Chisora last month, Usyk after that and now Joshua. He’s even call out Ngannou and Thor this year.

He needs to just stop talking and fight.
    Last edited by GMC41; 9th September 2022 at 19:45.

Quote Originally Posted by GMC41 View Post
    Why would it be his legacy? They arranged a fight once before and it wasn’t Joshua’s fault it failed to go ahead.

How many has he called out this year during his stints of being retired and un-retired? He was calling out Chisora last month, Usyk after that and now Joshua. He’s even call out Ngannou and Thor this year.

In some ways it's good for boxing, he is keeping the sport in the public eye.

MMA promotions like UFC have taken many spectators and fighters from the sport.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    In some ways it's good for boxing, he is keeping the sport in the public eye.

MMA promotions like UFC have taken many spectators and fighters from the sport.
    Seeing the top boxers fighting each other will keep it in the public eye. Less talking and more fighting needed.

Joshua is desperate to be known as a hard man but keeps running from Fury. If he doesn't take the fight, which is a lifeline really, he'll be a confirmed pussy.

Craftsman
    Joshua is desperate to be known as a hard man but keeps running from Fury. If he doesn't take the fight, which is a lifeline really, he'll be a confirmed pussy.
    He doesn’t keep running from Fury. That’s just not true.

They’ve agreed a deal once previously. Why didn’t it go ahead?

I don't think there's proof either way.

He didn't fight either Fury or Wilder. If they're comfortable enough to fight each other, why wouldn't they fight AJ? Especially after the Ruiz episode?

It doesn't make sense as Fury has displayed better boxing than AJ, and Wilder has a bigger punch.

That's why I and many others view AJs behaviour, at best influenced by Hearn for profit. At worst, ducking, so he can keep the belts.

Boxing regulatory stuff, it was about who fought who to challenge who.

Basically running up the money printing press.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    https://www.worldboxingnews.net/2022...e-hearn/?amp=1

No place for AJ other than retirement after this dodge

AJ making excuses for not wanting Fury to put the nail in his coffin.

Master
    AJ making excuses for not wanting Fury to put the nail in his coffin.
    This, lost all respect for AJ, just going to fight nobody’s.

The fight with Tyson is there, take it or retire.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    This, lost all respect for AJ, just going to fight nobody’s.

The fight with Tyson is there, take it or retire.
    I like AJ and always have but him not taking this fight now will sully his reputation for me. He has nothing to lose quite frankly.

I always made excuses for AJ until that embarrassing show at the end of the Ulysk fight... I think he lost a lot of fans that night and has made it worse by dodging a decent offer here

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Maybe AJ should take it slow, have a few tune-up fights and come back more complete.

I would much prefer to see Fury vs Usyk this year, it's a shame he got injured.

Craftsman
    I like AJ and always have but him not taking this fight now will sully his reputation for me. He has nothing to lose quite frankly.
    AJ has agreed to take the fight in Dec as originally proposed. It’s Fury who came out after the fact stating he would only fight late Nov or Dec 3rd.

When he called out Usyk, Usyk’s camp said it’s too soon after the AJ fight so won’t entertain him. AJ has agreed to fight in Dec asking for the 17th. What’s the issue? Fury hasn’t fought since April, AJ fought a couple of weeks back. Give him the opportunity to recover and train for this fight and it’s on.

Fury’s the best fighter IMO and I think he will win; however I think he’s also full of shit. He did the same before the third fight with Wilder.

These Twitter posts say it all;

https://twitter.com/tescosam1/status...455919104?s=21

https://twitter.com/ozwxm2/status/15...230444551?s=21

The stadium had already been booked for the 17th Dec by Frank Warren so there’s even less reason for him not to accept.
    Last edited by GMC41; 11th September 2022 at 20:32.

Fury v Joshua confirmed for 3rd December.

I've only made one bet in my life and lost large but I'm so tempted to put one on Fury here.

I've only made one bet in my life and lost large but I'm so tempted to put one on Fury here.
    Been thinking the same but the odds unfortunately reflect the result I'm expecting

What you thinking?

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Master
    AJ generally boxed quite well I thought in his last fight. One of his best performances. We could be surprised if he repeats that performance and Tyson isn't up to it.

Let's see if the fight happens, I would still rate it 50/50 at best.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    AJ generally boxed quite well I thought in his last fight. One of his best performances. We could be surprised if he repeats that performance and Tyson isn't up to it.

Let's see if the fight happens, I would still rate it 50/50 at best.
    Yes a lot could still go wrong but would be one that would definately be watched however foregone the result may be.