timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Gypsy King Retires?

Master

The Gypsy King Retires?

What a great uppercut to win the fight.

One of the all time greats?

Certainly one of my all time favourites and I will be sad to see him gone should his retirement be permanent.

He has nothing left for prove for me, thoughts?

Craftsman
    He needs to iron out that Fraud Joshua before retiring I

Master
    As much as I like Joshua as an individual, I don't think he's worthy as a fighter of getting in the ring with a boxer the class of Fury.

Master

The Gypsy King Retires?

With Ukraine war It may be a while before Usyk and Joshua fight so maybe not many fights out there for him now.

Just watched the sky interview with Tyson where the interviewer was probing him about Daniel Kinahan. Brilliant deflections. Fury is one of a kind and deserves all the credit and money he has got.

Master
    Miss match of a fight but a fight nonetheless. He will go down in history as one of the greats and can't think of a greater comeback in boxing history. Picking your time to retire is key and nows the time. AJ wouldn't stand a chance and any boxing fan knows that.

I don't know why Joshua is still in the conversation. He's an athlete, not a fighter. Exposed by Ruiz and taken to a dark place he didn't want to be by Usyk, AJ will never hold a belt again and so no longer holds any interest for the fans.

Two more fights for Fury then he'll retire as GOAT. Win the belts from Usyk then defend them once, job done.

I don’t think he’ll fight Usyk. The AJ vs Usyk fight could be a couple of years away and Fury’s 34 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I don't know why Joshua is still in the conversation. He's an athlete, not a fighter. Exposed by Ruiz and taken to a dark place he didn't want to be by Usyk, AJ will never hold a belt again and so no longer holds any interest for the fans.

Two more fights for Fury then he'll retire as GOAT. Win the belts from Usyk then defend them once, job done.

Master
    Yes AJ should no longer me mentioned in the same sentence as Fury.

I hope Whyte gets another title shot some time in the not too distant future, he really has had a raw deal over the years.

I too don't think Fury will ever fight Usyk as any potential fight as the last OP has pointed out could be a good number of years away. At Fury's age it would be silly to carry on with nothing left to prove.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post

AJ never holding a belt again and no interest from fans is a massive exaggeration

Master
    AJ avoided Fury at every opportunity, excuses after excuses, meanwhile Fury smashed Wilder on three occasions.

Ruiz a nobody showed the world how good AJ was Usyk torn him a new one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I don’t think he’ll fight Usyk. The AJ vs Usyk fight could be a couple of years away and Fury’s 34 now.
    Fury is 33. That's no age for a heavyweight boxer. People talk about Joe Joyce like he's an up and coming. He's 36!

Tyson could fight for 5 more years easily.

Even if he just fights to Wilders age now. That's 3 or 4 big fights.
    Last edited by JPCain86; 24th April 2022 at 12:41.

Good fighter in a division that’s in it’s poorest state in my lifetime. Talk of GOAT is strange. Who has he fought that would give him that level of greatness? An over the hill Wlad, who then also lost to AJ, and Deontay, who was hardly a great champion. Other than that his biggest wins were against the might of Derek Chisora. He had the opportunity to unify but managed to dodge the fight that everyone wanted.
    Good fighter but has never been tested against true greats like Lennox, Holyfield, Bowe, Ali and the real Tyson, all of whom would have, imo, destroyed him. Not his fault, he can only fight who is available, but can never be considered the greatest.

One of a kind - I'm pleased for him, going out on a high and on his terms - what a turnaround from not so long ago. Both Tysons - unmatched in their prime and what a legacy. Will he fight again - only he knows.

His size and boxing craft would make him difficult for any of the past greats imo.

Everyone wants to see the big battles, or devastating knockouts of the past greats - but that doesn’t always mean that they were the best boxers.

Tyson (Mike) at 5’11” would struggle against the huge boxers of today, and he was probably my favourite heavyweight to watch of all time.

Im not convinced that the talk of retirement isn’t a play to line up one last huge pay day. We will see. Once things die down, there’s more people that would pay to watch Joshua/Tyson than last nights fight, so there would be money there.

Also, good to see how Tyson got his composure back very quickly after being angry and frustrated last night.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    Good fighter in a division that’s in it’s poorest state in my lifetime. Talk of GOAT is strange.
    I agree with this. He appears to be the top dog the last couple of years, but good heavyweight boxers are very thin on the ground at the moment.

& already I see there is talk of a UFC Heavyweight Champ / Boxing Heavyweight champ match up - so that could be a very big money day for both of them!

& why not. Most people in sport have quite a limited time frame to make money from their fights.
    It's just a matter of time...

Agree with this.....you can only measure greatness by the level and quality of the fighters at the time in the division. Does anyone really believe that Wilder, Chisora, Whyte and AJ are at the same level as Tyson, Bowe, Lewis, Holyfield or Ali, Foreman, Frazier, etc?

Good fighter in a division that’s in it’s poorest state in my lifetime. Talk of GOAT is strange. Who has he fought that would give him that level of greatness? An over the hill Wlad, who then also lost to AJ, and Deontay, who was hardly a great champion. Other than that his biggest wins were against the might of Derek Chisora. He had the opportunity to unify but managed to dodge the fight that everyone wanted.
    Good fighter but has never been tested against true greats like Lennox, Holyfield, Bowe, Ali and the real Tyson, all of whom would have, imo, destroyed him. Not his fault, he can only fight who is available, but can never be considered the greatest.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post

Tyson (Mike) at 5’11” would struggle against the huge boxers of today, and he was probably my favourite heavyweight to watch of all time.

To be fair Mike did take out some of the big fellas

Grand Master
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/18356...-car-whyte-ko/

He knows, a man who has found himself, many can learn from him.

Find yourself because the purchased version is always tragic
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 24th April 2022 at 15:53.
    RIAC

Master
    Totally agree with this. Good fighter for sure but has definitely never really been tested.

Last nights fight showed him to be in a different league Whyte though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fury, GOAT? I guess that the 20th century isn't included in that.
    F.T.F.A.

I love all this ‘he’s got nothing left to prove’ nonsense, yes he’s a hell of a boxer but the GOAT? Not yet I’m afraid..

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Totally agree with this. Good fighter for sure but has definitely never really been tested.

Never tested ? how about in Wilder fight 1 where it was a miricle that the Ref didnt wave him off when he looked KO`d on the floor.

With most fighters, I'm urging them to retire while they're undefeated and still have their faculties. I somehow fear there are greater dangers for Fury in retiring than carrying on. If he can find (or has found) something to replace boxing, retire. But if not, it's probably best to give the can a kick down the road.

Master
    Always makes me laugh when people talk about GOAT. I watched a heavyweight division that included Liston, Ali, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Ernie Shavers and Ken Norton fighting each other. Then came Tyson, Larry Holmes, Lennox Lewis, Holyfield, etc.
    Fury is good but not in that class. Shame he missed the Klitschko brothers as they would have been a good match for him. Joshua is just a modern day Bruno.

Already pointed out elsewhere about Wilder 1, but I think he’s just a class above the rest. They’ve all beat each other but won’t get near Fury.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alas58 View Post
    Always makes me laugh when people talk about GOAT. I watched a heavyweight division that included Liston, Ali, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Ernie Shavers and Ken Norton fighting each other. Then came Tyson, Larry Holmes, Lennox Lewis, Holyfield, etc.
    Fury is good but not in that class. Shame he missed the Klitschko brothers as they would have been a good match for him. Joshua is just a modern day Bruno.
    I suppose he can only fight who’s active and of the current crop, he’s miles ahead.

I've been a fan of heavyweight boxing back to the early Ali days. Very difficult to compare over generations, but what we can compare is size. These modern fighters would dwarf those from the golden era. I just don't see guys at 14st-15st coping with the likes of Fury at 6'9" and 50llbs heavier.

It's the same with other sports, modern football and Rugby players would be too big and strong for players from the 60's and 70's. It's progress, but you can only be best in your own era.

Master
    Foreman was 6’3” and weighed in at 267 lbs or 19stone. Larry Holmes 250+ lbs. Tyson 210lbs and 5’ 11” but big guys were made for his style as he proved by beating them all in his pomp. Their bodies would not have survived once he got inside. Thats if his two handed hooks and uppercuts did not lay them out first.
    Fury is the best around just now but he would not have survived back then. IMHO of course.

Or further back consider the tiny, comparatively speaking, Marciano who destroyed every single heavier, taller man he fought...and he had short T rex type arms.

Sure the gypsy bloke's the best at the moment and he's a massive lump no doubt but imho there's been plenty who'd have beaten him in their day. Though as observed earlier they, fighters don't get to choose who is around at the same time.
    Last edited by Passenger; 25th April 2022 at 14:23.

Craftsman
    Holyfield and Lennox were the last greats. Mike Tyson could have been but short circuited. People forget Tyson was only the man for 18 months then the Douglas fight happened. He was 23 and was never the same after that. Never avenge any of his losses and never bit down on his gum shield and gritted it out to win. Both of those things Holyfield and Lennox did.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Never tested ? how about in Wilder fight 1 where it was a miricle that the Ref didnt wave him off when he looked KO`d on the floor.
    Wilder has one thing, a massive punch. He isn’t particularly a good boxer so not really a test.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    Already pointed out elsewhere about Wilder 1, but I think he’s just a class above the rest. They’ve all beat each other but won’t get near Fury.

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose he can only fight who’s active and of the current crop, he’s miles ahead.
    I agree that he is probably the best of the current crop (interesting to see what Usyk will do, amazing skill!) but it definitely doesn’t make him the GOAT as some are suggesting.

Craftsman
    Wilder has one thing, a massive punch. He isn’t particularly a good boxer so not really a test.

I think that is a little unfair on Fury. To avoid getting paid out cold over 3 fights is a hell of a feat (yes he was close on numerous occasions!)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idc0001 View Post
    Holyfield and Lennox were the last greats. Mike Tyson could have been but short circuited. People forget Tyson was only the man for 18 months then the Douglas fight happened. He was 23 and was never the same after that. Never avenge any of his losses and never bit down on his gum shield and gritted it out to win. Both of those things Holyfield and Lennox did.
    Tyson was champion from Nov 86 until Feb 1990. He was the undisputed champion for much of that after winning the unification tournament. Still the youngest heavyweight champ with an 88% knockout win percentage which was seriously impressive for a 5ft 11 inch man only weighing 210 lbs in that class.

I'm a fan of Fury but all this hysteria about him being one of the greats is nonsense. He's a good fighter no doubt but come on, we don't even have to go back that far to see the likes of Lennox Lewis who would definitely have beaten Fury. Fury has beaten Wilder who is the biggest fraud heavyweight champion I can remember (just look at the chumps he beat), Klitschko when he was at the end of his career and Whyte who isn't remotely a genuine heavyweight champion contender. It's virtually impossible to compare across eras but rather than being the GOAT, he's more likely to be in the top 20 or 30 heavyweight champs.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I'm a fan of Fury but all this hysteria about him being one of the greats is nonsense. He's a good fighter no doubt but come on, we don't even have to go back that far to see the likes of Lennox Lewis who would definitely have beaten Fury. Fury has beaten Wilder who is the biggest fraud heavyweight champion I can remember (just look at the chumps he beat), Klitschko when he was at the end of his career and Whyte who isn't remotely a genuine heavyweight champion contender. It's virtually impossible to compare across eras but rather than being the GOAT, he's more likely to be in the top 20 or 30 heavyweight champs.
    He’s dominated pretty much everyone in the division. He doesn’t control who is active at the time but even Lewis was beat by 2 boxers with 23 combined total losses between them.

He can’t do no more than he has so far and remaining unbeaten with some of the big punchers of this era being in their prime is some achievement.

Foreman was 6’3” and weighed in at 267 lbs or 19stone. Larry Holmes 250+ lbs. Tyson 210lbs and 5’ 11” but big guys were made for his style as he proved by beating them all in his pomp. Their bodies would not have survived once he got inside. Thats if his two handed hooks and uppercuts did not lay them out first.
    Fury is the best around just now but he would not have survived back then. IMHO of course.
    Foreman was only 19st when he came back (I think). He was considered huge in his day, but no more than 16.5st when he fought Ali. From momeory, maybe I should check!

Just checked, Foreman was 22011bs, so under 16st when he fought Ali

Craftsman
    Were these fighters in their prime?

Spinks? No
    Holmes? No

Did he beat his fellow elites in their prime?
    Holyfield? No No
    Lewis? No

Did he fight
    bowe? No
    Moorer? No
    Morrison? No
    McCall? No

Did Holyfield knock out james Tillis who went the distance with Tyson?
    Yes

Was Holyfield ever the bigger man in any of his heavyweight fights?
    No

Did Lewis perform better against ruddock?
    Yes

Did Tyson vacate the wbc title he won from Bruno to avoid Lewis?
    Yes

I m not saying Tyson wasnt a force for that short time but to give him so much praise in my eyes is unfair on others of his era that had not only in more competitive fights but also showed true champion spirit of digging deep to win and or avenging a loss.

Tyson was champion from Nov 86 until Feb 1990. He was the undisputed champion for much of that after winning the unification tournament. Still the youngest heavyweight champ with an 88% knockout win percentage which was seriously impressive for a 5ft 11 inch man only weighing 210 lbs in that class.

Master
    Were these fighters in their prime?

Spinks? No
    Holmes? No

Did he beat his fellow elites in their prime?
    Holyfield? No No
    Lewis? No

Did he fight
    bowe? No
    Moorer? No
    Morrison? No
    McCall? No

Did Holyfield knock out james Tillis who went the distance with Tyson?
    Yes

Was Holyfield ever the bigger man in any of his heavyweight fights?
    No

Did Lewis perform better against ruddock?
    Yes

Did Tyson vacate the wbc title he won from Bruno to avoid Lewis?
    Yes

I m not saying Tyson wasnt a force for that short time but to give him so much praise in my eyes is unfair on others of his era that had not only in more competitive fights but also showed true champion spirit of digging deep to win and or avenging a loss.
    Tyson was bigger than boxing for a while. He kind of hit the realms of Elvis, Beatles type fame. And when he was in his prime there wasn’t anyone more exciting. Clearly he isn’t the greatest boxer ever due to motivation and incidents out of boxing but for part of his career he was brilliant.

And I’m of the opinion you hit greatness by challenging yourself in boxing and not by manipulating a win streak; I’d choose Canelo over Mayweather any day as the better boxer.

But, I think Tyson could hold his own against any of the fighters mentioned. He’s a brilliant boxer and 6’9.

Mike Tyson was an exciting boxer to watch which is why he made(and lost) so much money. I can remember staying up late to watch him. I don’t get the this boxer will beat that one from different eras. No one really knows we just have to enjoy what we have at any given time.
    For my Tyson Fury is a great fighter and I love his views on life and his interviews.

Master

Just a couple of things as not going through them all. Tyson was only 22. Spinks was in his prime for a heavyweight at 32, undefeated and a champion. 91 seconds later it was all over.
    Mike Tyson was past his mental prime by the time Bowe, Moorer and Mcall etc were making it big. After losing Cus plus his trainer Kevin Rooney and getting involved with Don King, he was finished. Same with being past it when fighting Holyfield who waited to sign until Tyson was not the same. Lot of respect for Holyfield as a classic technician coming up from cruiserweight through to heavy.
    But for real fights you just have to look at the middleweights of Hagler, Hearns, Leonard etc. The Hagler/Hearns fight of 1985 called the War has always been voted the 3 greatest rounds in boxing history. Worth a watch on Youtube.
    Fighter I have most repect for was Julio Cesar Chavez. 87 fight winning streak, 5 world titles at 3 different weights etc.
    Anyway its about Fury who although good plus big is not the GOAT imho.
    Last edited by alas58; 26th April 2022 at 19:43.

Craftsman
    You sound very patronising by the way you recommend I watch hagler hearns….

Staggering that you would assume I d never heard or seen that fight. Let alone the whole careers of all the 4 kings.

Just a couple of things as not going through them all. Tyson was only 22. Spinks was in his prime for a heavyweight at 32, undefeated and a champion. 91 seconds later it was all over.
    Mike Tyson was past his mental prime by the time Bowe, Moorer and Mcall etc were making it big. After losing Cus plus his trainer Kevin Rooney and getting involved with Don King, he was finished. Same with being past it when fighting Holyfield who waited to sign until Tyson was not the same. Lot of respect for Holyfield as a classic technician coming up from cruiserweight through to heavy.
    But for real fights you just have to look at the middleweights of Hagler, Hearns, Leonard etc. The Hagler/Hearns fight of 1985 called the War has always been voted the 3 greatest rounds in boxing history. Worth a watch on Youtube.
    Fighter I have most repect for was Julio Cesar Chavez. 87 fight winning streak, 5 world titles at 3 different weights etc.
    Anyway its about Fury who although good plus big is not the GOAT imho.

Blog Entries

The Gypsy King Retires?

I rate Fury very highly. Very difficult to compare boxers over different eras. My two favourite boxers are Hagler and Holyfield. Think we should be enjoying the quality of boxing across the majority of weights. We are lucky to have so many excellent fighters at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    I rate Fury very highly. Very difficult to compare boxers over different eras. My two favourite boxers are Hagler and Holyfield. Think we should be enjoying the quality of boxing across the majority of weights. We are lucky to have so many excellent fighters at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Only when they actually fight each other

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    He’s dominated pretty much everyone in the division. He doesn’t control who is active at the time but even Lewis was beat by 2 boxers with 23 combined total losses between them.

He can’t do no more than he has so far and remaining unbeaten with some of the big punchers of this era being in their prime is some achievement.
    McCall had lost on five occasions and Rahman twice when they fought Lewis.

Not sure about your statement that Fury has dominated everyone in the division. Since the Klitschko fight, the only top 10 ranked boxers he has fought have been Wilder and Whyte.

I do think he is the best around at the moment but he hasn’t dominated everyone in the division. That’s just not true.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Tyson was bigger than boxing for a while. He kind of hit the realms of Elvis, Beatles type fame. And when he was in his prime there wasn’t anyone more exciting. Clearly he isn’t the greatest boxer ever due to motivation and incidents out of boxing but for part of his career he was brilliant.

And I’m of the opinion you hit greatness by challenging yourself in boxing and not by manipulating a win streak; I’d choose Canelo over Mayweather any day as the better boxer.

But, I think Tyson could hold his own against any of the fighters mentioned. He’s a brilliant boxer and 6’9.
    Do you think Mayweather manipulated his win streak? Have you seen who he fought? I don’t think he could be accused of ducking anyone if that’s what you are suggesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Or further back consider the tiny, comparatively speaking, Marciano who destroyed every single heavier, taller man he fought...and he had short T rex type arms.
    But also two lethal elbows.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    But also two lethal elbows.
    Well he didn´t throw punches by the book, he threw the whole library and apparently, it hurt to bump into him, so they said. They're not getting in the ring for a game of tiddleywinks.

The man's training, conditioning and work ethic were almost superhuman.
    Last edited by Passenger; 27th April 2022 at 16:07.

Quote Originally Posted by GMC41 View Post
    McCall had lost on five occasions and Rahman twice when they fought Lewis.

Not sure about your statement that Fury has dominated everyone in the division. Since the Klitschko fight, the only top 10 ranked boxers he has fought have been Wilder and Whyte.

I do think he is the best around at the moment but he hasn’t dominated everyone in the division. That’s just not true.
    I did caveat as ‘pretty much everyone’ as there’s obviously a few he’s not faced. He still beats everyone else comfortably in my opinion.