closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rust containment on car?

Rust containment on car?

After giving the wife’s car a quick wash today I noticed some very minor surface rust on the hidden part of the area above the rear number plate (the recess where the number plate lights are).
    The area in question is unseen so only seems to have a fairly thin paint layer with no clear coat over it.
    I was thinking of giving it a wipe over with some 3 in 1 oil or WD40 to protect it and stop it spreading.
    Would that do the job or is there a better method?

Master
    If the rust is under the paint then any external treatment with WD40 will not have any effect. If its in an unseen place my approach would be .
    Sand it down with fine emery back to shiny metal
    Paint on an etch primer ( bought from any motor factors)
    Paint using a touch up stick from Halfrauds or motor factors for your car colour.

If you cant get a tough up paint “ stick” just buy an aerosol and spray into the lid, then apply with a brush.

When all this done , you can apply some WD for peace of mind, but hopefully the rust should not return

Steve

Picture would be useful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Built in obsolescence!!! ACF50 is what they use on aircraft carriers.
    http://www.acf-50.co.uk/
    Don't get it anywhere near brake parts.

Get rid of the rust, or get rid of the car, it’s only going to get worse

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Get rid of the rust, or get rid of the car, it’s only going to get worse

Its very minor. I’ve seen that WD40 make a silicone spray. Would this work as a surface sealant without being sticky/oily?

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Its very minor. I’ve seen that WD40 make a silicone spray. Would this work as a surface sealant without being sticky/oily?
    Nothing is going to cover it up or stop it getting worse, if it is not visible cans you scurf it’s out and paint it, either black or touch up? What car is it, if it galvanised it could stay as it is for years

Master
    If it can’t be seen sand down and paint with similar colour hammerite

You duck tape around the rust spot, very carefully sand it off with wet and dry sandpaper, only going as far as you need to.
    Treat it with jenolite, paint back with color matched touch up paint from your local dealership.

Its easy if the rust is light, the trouble is when the rust is deep and you cant sand down far enough.