closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car polishing

Car polishing

Any tips for using a DA6? Tbh I can't arsed with all the different pads and cremes, thinking an all in one creme and polishing pad.

Clean the car to oblivion before you start.

The eye cant see it but cars are covered in crud, the worst usually being tar with tiny bits of metal and other nasties.

If your polishing pad picks them up it can do alot of damage.

A serious detailer would pressure wash and hand wash well before using a special type of clay bar ( i use medium ones by bilthamber )

Using a clay bar is dangerous so watch and read tutorials first.

Use the green pads made by chemical guys and a one step polish like Auto Finesse Tripple All in One.

Any get the polishing pad lube made by chemical guys also to protect the pad and give the polish more working time before it dries up.

Doing one step like this with a DA will only do so much but it will improve the car and would be worth it i think.

Master
    As above, wash, wash and wash again. Clay bar then use the DA. I use different pads and 3 different compounds so can't comment on the "one for all" method but just make sure the car and the pads are clean before use. Pad lubricant is a great shout as it makes it much easier. DA's are less risky than rotary polishers so you shouldn't do any damage😁

Master
    Clay is not dangerous, just use lube.

Have a look at the Meguiars micro pads & compound. Can do a car with one compound and pad, but a finishing compound and fine pad adds a better finish.

Depends what you want to achieve - glass finish vs improving loads of minor swirls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Menzerna green pad, 3500 cut polish will be great for single pass.

Master
    Just to make life harder, it would probably be worth using a decontaminator before the claybar, something like Iron-X. It smells really awful but will lift out metallic particles. Then wash it again of course.

Careful with your MX5 Dave, the paint is very thin and quite soft....

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Careful with your MX5 Dave, the paint is very thin and quite soft....
    Thanks

I'm going to use the Bilt Hammer all in one and a light polishing pad, abandoned the idea of self teaching paint correction

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    Just to make life harder, it would probably be worth using a decontaminator before the claybar, something like Iron-X. It smells really awful but will lift out metallic particles. Then wash it again of course.
    I still have the rotten egg smelling Iron X you mention but I thought Id read somewhere theyve changed it slightly now so it doesnt have that instantly recognisable smell.

Master
    Blog Entries
    They do an Iron X lemon version, but both are still wretched.

I have a clay bar, and some VTechbic panel wipe

I did my car last year for the first time using a DA8 - First thing to do is check your paint, some cars have very soft paint and others hard.

Wash the car, IronX - De-tar, Clay - use a mitt its so much easier. Wash again. Apply polish, then you are meant to remove everything with some IPA wipes and another wash before then doing a final wax coat.

After research I ended up with some buff and shine Uro fibre pads, I used 4 to do the car once, 2 large and 2 small, the pads do get saturated with polish so don't use 1 for a full car.

The polish I used was a 3D nano one hybrid polish. The combo worked fairly well, did not remove all the swirls but did a pretty good job, in hindesight I applied very little pressure as I was worried about damaging the paintwork.

Just take your time and be careful, DA's can damage paint especially over ridges and areas with different heights.

Master
    This seems to be well regarded. Might be worth a look

https://cartecuk.com/collections/com...-3000-compound

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Master
    Or just spend a couple of hours washing and polishing it by hand then spend the rest of the time and money going for a nice drive instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Or just spend a couple of hours washing and polishing it by hand then spend the rest of the time and money going for a nice drive instead.
    Same, using a polisher so I get more time driving

Done, piece of cake, DA6 pro now ama

Master
    Looks great. Not hard to do once you are confident enough and the car comes away looking amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Looks great. Not hard to do once you are confident enough and the car comes away looking amazing.
    Tbh I only used a finishing pad and the Bilt Hamber all in one polish/filler

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Tbh I only used a finishing pad and the Bilt Hamber all in one polish/filler
    What did you seal it with? looks a nice finish

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    What did you seal it with? looks a nice finish
    Wash and clay bar, then panel wipe, rinse, then Bilt Hammer cleanser polish and DA6, then Bilt Hamber speed wax

I've become a big fan of ceramic finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I've become a big fan of ceramic finishes.
    Ceramics are very good just hard to apply DIY, the new(ish) hybrids seem to work very well with a spray and buff off.

If i had the cash I would opt for a full ceramic done by a professional.

Wash and clay bar, then panel wipe, rinse, then Bilt Hammer cleanser polish and DA6, then Bilt Hamber speed wax
    Looks good, next time (if you have a next time) add in a Iron-X and tardis before the clay bar to remove any iron and tar residue from the car, reduces the risk of dmg from the clay bar. They are both very quick process and do work very well.

As a fellow MX-5 'thusiast, I have to say that's looking good Davey, well in man.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    Looks good, next time (if you have a next time) add in a Iron-X and tardis before the clay bar to remove any iron and tar residue from the car, reduces the risk of dmg from the clay bar. They are both very quick process and do work very well.
    Thanks

As a fellow MX-5 'thusiast, I have to say that's looking good Davey, well in man.
    New suspension next month

Then.....possible turbo

Then.....possible turbo
    Funny you should say that Dave, I've presently got a guy building me a complete forged NC motor as I write. Then he's gonna plumb in a turbocharger to it so I can then drive in to him for a transplant. Exciting times down the road. Good luck 👍

Funny you should say that Dave, I've presently got a guy building me a complete forged NC motor as I write. Then he's gonna plumb in a turbocharger to it so I can then drive in to him for a transplant. Exciting times down the road. Good luck 👍
    2.5?

2.5?
    No no, sticking with the 2.0

No no, sticking with the 2.0
    Nice!

I'm selling I think, health and retirement mean I need to be sensible, nothing serious but think I'm selling mine soon

Nice!

I'm selling I think, health and retirement mean I need to be sensible, nothing serious but think I'm selling mine soon
    Oh that's a shame Dave, sorry to hear that, I really am after you taking it this far.
    Retirement doesn't necessarily have to mean sensibility - you gotta balance life enjoyment into the mix too (but I'm sure you know that) ?

Good luck in whatever choices you make though, of course.

Son doing a masters, decided to gift him the chance of doing it without work

I suddenly felt a little selfish

Son doing a masters, decided to gift him the chance of doing it without work

I suddenly felt a little selfish
    Fair comment then

The funny thing is, this car was meant to be for Dave's other half

Edit: Just saw the comments re selling. That would be a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    The funny thing is, this car was meant to be for Dave's other half

Edit: Just saw the comments re selling. That would be a shame.
    Needs must, some soul searching , change of job for me, wife possible redundancy etc oh welk