closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Keeping toxic substances stored properly

Craftsman

Keeping toxic substances stored properly

With the better weather, you, members of your family and pets might be spending more time in the garden, garage or shed, and I'd ask that you spend a few moments looking at how/where you store toxic substances. We had to have our cat put down this morning after she ingested antifreeze, presumably from an unsecure container in a neighbours shed. Animals like the sweet taste of Ethylene glycol apparently, but its unfortunately extremely toxic. Sad for us, but at least it wasn't a child. I'll be assessing the contents of my garage for this type of material - it's not something I've spent much thought on before.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about your cat, I feel for you :(

Good call on the hazardous materials check.

Very very sorry to read about your moggy OP, must have been heart wrenching.
    I'll add that correct labelling of toxic substances is equally as important as safe storage. Obviously this doesn't reduce the danger for animals, but it certainly does for humans.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcamb330 View Post
    With the better weather, you, members of your family and pets might be spending more time in the garden, garage or shed, and I'd ask that you spend a few moments looking at how/where you store toxic substances. We had to have our cat put down this morning after she ingested antifreeze, presumably from an unsecure container in a neighbours shed. Animals like the sweet taste of Ethylene glycol apparently, but its unfortunately extremely toxic. Sad for us, but at least it wasn't a child. I'll be assessing the contents of my garage for this type of material - it's not something I've spent much thought on before.

I feel sorry for you loosing an animal like this !! In reality your cats probably pissed them off and they’ve put the anti freeze down on purpose. It’s surprising how many cats find unsecured antifreeze when hardly anys sold now.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    I feel sorry for you loosing an animal like this !! In reality your cats probably pissed them off and they’ve put the anti freeze down on purpose. It’s surprising how many cats find unsecured antifreeze when hardly anys sold now.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes, we did think about that possibility, but our long-time neighbours in our small village seem to be mainly animal lovers, so I'd hope that's not the case. I'm inclined to think it's an accident, but I'll be listening out for any other similar occurances.

I'd also think deliberate poisoning. Surely any antifreeze would at least have a lid on? Seems unlikely that a cat would get into a garage/shed, find a bottle of antifreeze with no lid, knock it over, lap it up etc.

Master
    Awful to hear this and hate the loss of a pet, especially cats as still mourn the loss of one of ours after 7 years as does his brother.

Don’t dwell on the poisoning aspect. It will achieve nothing apart from angst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    What a awful pointless way to lose a cat, you have my commiserations

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Awful to hear this and hate the loss of a pet, especially cats as still mourn the loss of one of ours after 7 years as does his brother.

Don’t dwell on the poisoning aspect. It will achieve nothing apart from angst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, good advice. Of all the days it could have happened, it happened on my 50th birthday yesterday, so it's going to be an indelible memory that's for sure, but a lot of happy memories of the preceeding 12yrs