closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rolex upping production for 2023?

Grand Master
    Those who sell to the greys feel it first, then the greys realise, then the general public.

Everyone is general public, a few know grey dealers well but not many know those who sell to the trade.
    RIAC

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    I fear that many watch dealers, especially the tax-invisible tattooed Insta-clowns, aren't so fussy - by which I mean operating within the law.
    If it's any consolation, this kind of account activity is sufficient for an individual to be declared a pariah, sent a cheque settling their account, and denied further banking services.

By any bank with a UK banking license.

There is zero profit motive for banks to continue to provide personal banking services beyond the point that AML suspicious activity reports need to be filed (against said person).

It's truly epic when this happens. I wouldn't wish this fate on anyone. But I can assure you that it is most definitely happening (infrequently, and silently). Choices do indeed have consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Interesting video from a pre owned dealer “Colebys” if anyones on Instagram and wants to know how the trade is at the moment. Seems a lot of caution being shown…
    https://www.instagram.com/tv/Ccp83RK...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
    “I’ve been doing this for 30 years…”

Wtf?- he looks about 14. Who is this? - Doogie Howser Watch Dealer?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IanK View Post

Can’t take him seriously wearing Safety Goggles
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    There seems to be a lot of talk on various platforms about greys dropping prices by substantial amounts in the USA at the moment.
    Let’s hope for you then they come down so you can be at peace fella.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    It doesn’t change anything for me personally if they drop or continue to rise. It’s all hearsay at the moment.

It doesn’t change anything for me personally if they drop or continue to rise. It’s all hearsay at the moment.
    You could have easily fooled me by your drum beating:-).

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Watchfinder have offered me £9600-9900 for an 114060 today.

Signs for sure the water is cooling…….. not.

Blog Entries
    There seems to be a lot of talk on various platforms about greys dropping prices by substantial amounts in the USA at the moment.
    Dropping from obscene to absolutely ridiculous prices and then to fairly silly pricing seems to be the order of the day.

Maybe they’ll drop to faintly daft pricing next?

BLNR dropping from £25k to £20k is not a market correction…. Dropping to £8-10k would be a market correction!

Master

I think he said we've been doing this for 30 years, which might explain it. Perhaps second generation in 'the game?'. Seems to know what he's talking about either way.

Master

Judge what he says over how he may look I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I think he said we've been doing this for 30 years, which might explain it. Perhaps second generation in 'the game?'. Seems to know what he's talking about either way.
    He does say that. Which kind of negates the point, unless he's the Queen.

Anyway, I guess he's second generation youngster working in the family Essex jewellers business able to open a showroom in a city office block off the back the Rolex boom. Selling almost totally all Rolex with a bit of AP and Cartier thrown in. Very typical of the new breed of Insta Watch traders. I wouldn't describe him as an expert in watches or indeed an expert in watch trading though he does probably have a keen sense of current Rolex pre-owned prices. His view of the current market cooling is no doubt accurate but his view that watches are a good long term investment is a bit of guesswork nonsense isn't it. There's no long term model for this and if you were to price an investment you'd have a much broader analysis of the costs of the acquiring, maintaining and disposing of the asset versus other asset classes.

I mean good luck to him but I'm very weary of this endless videos from 'experts' who talk about the machinations of rolex pricing but if you starting asking them about other brands or movements or just watch knowledge generally they'd dry up. Its my fault I suppose I need to clear up my IG profile to stop getting this stuff and instead get some nerd getting excited about a rare Tri-Compax or an exotic dial Camaro, possibly naked.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post

Whilst listing one at £13,380. Thats some mark up and allegedly only one in stock. Imagine if you wanted to chop in a watch they had multiple examples off.

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Judge what he says over how he may look I would say.
    +1
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Master
    He does say that. Which kind of negates the point, unless he's the Queen.

Anyway, I guess he's second generation youngster working in the family Essex jewellers business able to open a showroom in a city office block off the back the Rolex boom. Selling almost totally all Rolex with a bit of AP and Cartier thrown in. Very typical of the new breed of Insta Watch traders. I wouldn't describe him as an expert in watches or indeed an expert in watch trading though he does probably have a keen sense of current Rolex pre-owned prices. His view of the current market cooling is no doubt accurate but his view that watches are a good long term investment is a bit of guesswork nonsense isn't it. There's no long term model for this and if you were to price an investment you'd have a much broader analysis of the costs of the acquiring, maintaining and disposing of the asset versus other asset classes.

I mean good luck to him but I'm very weary of this endless videos from 'experts' who talk about the machinations of rolex pricing but if you starting asking them about other brands or movements or just watch knowledge generally they'd dry up. Its my fault I suppose I need to clear up my IG profile to stop getting this stuff and instead get some nerd getting excited about a rare Tri-Compax or an exotic dial Camaro, possibly naked.
    Good point, the long term is indeed absolute guesswork, and 'good investment' is meaningless without considering the alternatives. The only thing you can really say is that there were worse ideas over the last couple of decades if you chose the right ones, and at least they're fun. The well rehearsed line about things not necessarily being worth what people are asking on Chrono24 may well be true, but also no doubt segues neatly into offering you less than you'd hoped for your 'olive'.

Master
    https://youtu.be/gTJHU_14A-Y

Like them or not they are in the trade so their views are valid.
    Last edited by Stuno1; 10th May 2022 at 14:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/spect...aff=erelexpmlt

Like them or not they are in the trade so their views are valid.
    Views about what? The ticket prices for their event???

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Views about what? The ticket prices for their event???
    Ha! Wrong link 🤪

https://youtu.be/gTJHU_14A-Y

Master
    Got an email this morning from Watchfinder headed “We’re lowering our prices!”.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Got an email this morning from Watchfinder headed “We’re lowering our prices!”.
    I got that too… but behind the headline, its only on 12 Rolex watches, and not one I’d actually buy (8 ladies watches and them some precious yellow gold)

They are offering less for Rolex though - was offered £500 above list for a BNIB Milgauss

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    They are offering less for Rolex though - was offered £500 above list for a BNIB Milgauss

Sounds about right for a B- Rolex reference Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Sounds about right for a B- Rolex reference Ryan.
    I thought would be more for a BNIB black dial. Was surprised tbh

I would have expected more on a BNIB although was offered just under retail on a OP36.

Maybe it the new norm!

I would have expected more on a BNIB although was offered just under retail on a OP36.

Maybe it the new norm!
    Jeez.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Nah. Ordinary dial and still a pretty vanilla piece once you ignore the hype in my view. Blue dial, different story…

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe it the new norm!

What colour dial OP please?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I got that too… but behind the headline, its only on 12 Rolex watches, and not one I’d actually buy (8 ladies watches and them some precious yellow gold)
    Indeed! Tongue in cheek! Just more marketing and attempt to shift 26mm gold diamond studded DJs!

Master
    [QUOTE=Gareth-W;5990776]Nah. Ordinary dial and still a pretty vanilla piece once you ignore the hype in my view. Blue dial, different story…

- - - Updated - - -

Quite. A client just sold his blue dial Milgauss to WF for 10.5k. Watch was 5 or 6 years old. He showed me the quote and then the offer. He said he’d bought it off a local grey dealer for 7k around 18 months ago.

Grand Master
    Lets be honest you couldn’t give them away 5 years ago, nothing has changed, same fit, form and function just a reprogrammed brain now looks at it
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Whilst listing one at £13,380. Thats some mark up and allegedly only one in stock. Imagine if you wanted to chop in a watch they had multiple examples off.
    no suprise, they do it because the can. They take advantage that you couldnt or didnt want to sell it yourself private.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I doubt very much there is only one in stock and not another 20 or more out back that will be slowly drip feed on to the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Nah. Ordinary dial and still a pretty vanilla piece once you ignore the hype in my view. Blue dial, different story…

- - - Updated - - -

What colour dial OP please?
    Interesting cheers. I assumed the black dial would be the more sought after as it's less gaudy than the blue dial (which I used to own). My favourite iteration was the non green glass black dial orange hand variant that was discontinued a few years ago - lovely watch

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Lets be honest you couldn’t give them away 5 years ago, nothing has changed, same fit, form and function just a reprogrammed brain now looks at it
    Same applies to the GP Laureato and now they are going over list. Next one will be the Chopard Alpine Eagle and I presume the Zenith Defy Skyline in joining the 'sell for over RRP' club.

Grand Master
    Same applies to the GP Laureato and now they are going over list. Next one will be the Chopard Alpine Eagle and I presume the Zenith Defy Skyline in joining the 'sell for over RRP' club.
    Humans are very bizarre creatures
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    no suprise, they do it because the can. They take advantage that you couldnt or didnt want to sell it yourself private.
    Quite.

Looking at the regular shenanigans on here, between “enthusiasts”, it’s no wonder people are taking the easiest route to Watchfinder….. (after all, we’ve got all the traders, ex traders, covert traders, Brexit experts, Ukraine experts and Crypto experts who don’t seem to have a great deal of interest in watches injecting their venom all over most of the Rolex sales and sometime into others)

I’m sure id get shot down on here if I advertised my 114060 for £10250 with £250 of that to the fundraiser but in reality that would give me £9900 after donation, postage, insurance etc.

Master
    The GP was freely and cheaply available a few months ago, it is mental.

Well known watch YouTuber Federico Talks Watches is stating that dealer to dealer prices on Rolex at a wholesale level are currently falling in the US and that this will filter through to retail prices.

Grand Master
    Blowers chops a grand off the pepsi thats not moved for weeks.
    RIAC

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post

Honestly, I don't think watchfinder is a particularly reliable indicator for this. They have been caught with their pants down many times before, just look at their black bay 58s, they still try to sell them above retail because they have dozens of them on hand.

Their mantra seems to be to keep churning out the profit till the very end, and when prices drop they are still the largest pre owned seller in the region so they just have to withhold their own supply and sell slowly.

If a good customer comes a long they will drop the price for them, they offered me 30% off their price on a bb58 recently and they'll do the same when Rolex prices cool, but by keeping the displayed price high they still make a tidy profit when someone has more money than sense.

It shouldn't be a secret that watchfinder don't list their whole inventory. They don't have just the 3500 they display on their website, the number is in the 10s of thousands.

Did you hear that Rolex ADs will start selling more than two year old S/H watches as Certified Pre Owned... that should ease the current situation.

My source is Austin Daniels (utube)
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Did you hear that Rolex ADs will start selling more than two year old S/H watches as Certified Pre Owned... that should ease the current situation.

What does that mean exactly? ADs currently sell “pre-owned”.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post

Like this? https://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat...s#colour=BLACK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk